• Register
  • Help

Topic: Editing GPO4 SFZ files - polyphony

Share/Bookmark

Editing GPO4 SFZ files - polyphony

There have been a few threads now about doing some customization of GPO4's SFZ files by editing parameters in the text file via Notepad.

I would like to change the polyphony of solo instruments back to 1 note monophonic playback as we had before, since I'd rather use traditional cc64 legato instead of Auto Legato. But having all these soloists playing polyphonically is cramping my style - so much editing to do, changing the note lengths so there's only a tiny smidge of overlap, and the results aren't as good as when the soloists were playing monophonically.

I know there are reasons the GPO4 samples were programmed this way for Aria, like for proper interaction with wind controllers, as Tom Hopkins explained on another thread.

But here I am in notepad - and though I've done a pretty deep Google, I can't find the correct way to change this parameter:

polyphony=$polyphony

--That's from an alto flute's text. I change it to ----what?

Randy B.

Re: Editing GPO4 SFZ files - polyphony

Hi Randy.

Open Garritan/Personal Orchestra 4/Banks/Standard/GPO_FLT.bank.xml in notepad.
    You will find something like <Define name="$polyphony" value="4" />
    Just set value="1".

The path name and the Define can be a bit different, I don't have GPO4 installed here so this is only from what I can remember.
    Pascal Maheux, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montréal. http://www.plogue.com

As an alternative, if you want only the solo instruments (not the Plr instruments) to be put into mono mode then you could leave the bank file as is and change just the individual solo instrument files to polyphony=1. Your choice.

Tom

Pascal and Tom - You guys are great. Thank you so much for the replies, for holding my hand through this--because I've never edited an SFZ text file and was all skeeeeeered I'd mess things up.

Incredibly simple. I had to switch to Administrator here on Vista to have permission do do the edit, but then--quick and easy, and worked out just as I wanted.

I didn't think earlier that this kind of editing could be done to the Bank, so that all instruments of a bank category would be effected - slick!

AND Tom, you brought up the way I thought I'd have to do it in the first place--on a per-instrument basis.

So, if I did want to have various instruments of a bank have different polyphony, like this example of solo or player flute, I would have to Add the "=1" to the line I found earlier - "polyphony=$polyphony" - because I didn't find a line that had polyphony followed by a number. -

For now I think the bank parameter is what I want. The flute was originally at 16, now I know how easy it is to change it back if for some reason I change my mind.

Of course--and WARNING to other users - I saved a copy of the original un-edited text file in case I goofed up majorly.

AND this is what the user needed recently when he needed to expand the note ranges of some instruments - Now I see how easy that it is, since Hi note and Lo note are easily found in the text.

THANKS! - Some things really ARen't that hard once you try them - !

Randy B.

When you've figured it all out Randy, perhaps a sticky tutorial on editing Aria SFZ files would be in order?! I'd have thought there was a limited number of things we would want to do so wouldn't need to be too in depth....over to you!

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    When you've figured it all out Randy, perhaps a sticky tutorial on editing Aria SFZ files would be in order?! I'd have thought there was a limited number of things we would want to do so wouldn't need to be too in depth....over to you!
    Oh my! - An SFZ editing newbie writing a sticky? - Wellllllll, let me poke around some more. At least I haven't blown anything up yet!--But in the meantime, I can see from other posts that there are people who already have a much better idea of what's possible--maaaaybe someone else should be thinking of writing the sticky.

It Is really encouraging to me, though, to find out how simple the basic process is. Getting usable results - that's the next step. If users had a clearly laid out set of instructions of how to do the editing without fear of wrecking their libraries - that would of course be very helpful. Changing the range of instruments seems to be the most straight-forward edit, and I would think that would be one of the most commonly wanted edits.

SO---let's see how this works out.

Randy

Go Back to forum