• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sinfonia from Cantata "Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir" BWV 29 by J.S. Bach

Share/Bookmark

Cool Sinfonia from Cantata "Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir" BWV 29 by J.S. Bach

Hey everyone, I just completed this wonderful Sinfonia by Bach that I've been working on for about three weeks now. Using GPO4 with Logic Pro 8. The melody of this piece was originally written for organ but I switched it to solo violin.

The following instruments were used:

SAM Trumpet Players 1, 2, and 3.
    Oboe 1 and 2 Modern Solo.
    Timpani.
    1st Violins: Violin 1 Player 1, Violin 1 Player 2, Violin 2 Player 1, and Violin 3 Player 1.
    2nd Violins: Violin 1 Player 3, Violin 2 Player 2, Violin 3 Player 2, and Violin 3 Player 3.
    Violas: Viola Player 1, 2, and 3.
    Violin 3 Solo KS.
    Bass: Cello 3 Solo KS, Cello 1 Solo KS, and Double Bass 1 Solo KS.
    Harpsichord KS.

Audio file link: http://files.me.com/sheridanlhaskell/62oaiz.mp3

Enjoy,

Re: Sinfonia from Cantata "Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir" BWV 29 by J.S. Bach

Hi, Sheridan

What a wonderful project. Such a nice Bach piece, and from listening I hear very clearly that you've done a meticulous job with it.

I think the idea of switching the lead instrument from organ to violin could be good in theory, but the solo violins in GPO don't hold up for such a long time in the spotlight, in my opinion. The shortcomings of the simplified sample files are exposed and can become a bit grating on the ears.

The GPO organs are very good, I wonder if you tried the piece as it was originally scored?

But, as I said, it's probably an idea that would work in a live performance, using a violin instead of organ.

You used GPO4 very well in this. Thanks for the music.

Randy

Re: Sinfonia from Cantata "Wir danken dir, Gott, wir danken dir" BWV 29 by J.S. Bach

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Hey everyone, I just completed this wonderful Sinfonia by Bach that I've been working on for about three weeks now. Using GPO4 with Logic Pro 8. The melody of this piece was originally written for organ but I switched it to solo violin.
    A very nice interpretation, which reminds me strongly of the version Wendy/Walter Carlos made. Very musical. I agree about the solo instrument: a wind instrument would suit it better, especially in the fast passages, where you can hear almost only the bow sound. Perhaps you should increase attack and use the legato controller there.

BTW, wrong note at 1:34/1:35?

Hey Randy, thanks for your compliments and I agree with you on the quality of the solo strings. I applied a hi cut filter to each of the string instrument to soften the sound a bit. There seems to be some kind of noise in the higher frequencies on all the string instrument samples that I guess you would hear if the mic was near the instrument. However, I figured that from an audiences' perspective you wouldn't hear those noises from so far away so I applied hi cut filter for that and to get a more darker and softer tone. The main problem for me is the lack of vibrato control but that isn't going to stop me. The GPO solo strings are the only solo strings I have though so I try to make the best of it and they can be pretty convincing with heavy use of the mod wheel and good attention to velocity and note length articulation. And the player variations do blend together nicely into string sections which is a must have for baroque era pieces. So the pros outweigh the cons from my perspective.

As for an organ version, I was originally learning the organ part on piano but with the release of GPO4 I wanted to get a version of this piece out soon. I'm thinking I'll record a piano and maybe organ version in late fall and combine it with the orchestra part sort of like I did with BWV1052. Here's a recording I made a few months ago on my piano of the first third of the piece: files.me.com/sheridanlhaskell/ymo6qb.mp3

FLWrd thank you. I heard that Wendy Carlos made the piece famous but I haven't heard her version of it yet. I chose violin because the melody of the piece Bach original wrote for violin in his e major violin partita. The melody that the organ plays in BWV29 and the original version in the partita are practically identical. The melody would probably work well with woodwinds too. As for the wrong note at 1:34/1:35, I listened to that spot a few times and I'm not hearing anything wrong but I haven't looked back at the score yet. Which instrument do you hear it in?

Oh, and I released a video recording of this piece for the youtube crowd to watch in case you all are interested: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cH-fcO9Dkik

I thought the timpani/bass note there might be wrong, but perhaps it isn't. If you want to hear Walter Carlos' version (from 1968 I think, before the gender change), you can go to grooveshark. I couldn't find the 1992 version online, and that's the one I was reminded of by your rendition.

Good work Sheridan!
    I watched the YouTube video of the UI in Logic sailing by. Great fun!!
    Thanks for posting and I expect to see more!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum