• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ewqlso + vsl se?

Share/Bookmark

Ewqlso + vsl se?

Would these libraries blend together well? Anyone tried EWQLSO and VSL together?

Thank you.

Re: Ewqlso + vsl se?

I have them both and yes they do blend but you will need a reverb to help blend the very dry VSL with the hall settings of EWQLSO.

Hmm, I only have Gold (stage mics). Will it still be alright?

Most DAWs have their own convolution reverb so you ought to be okay. What sequencer do you use?

I use Cubase 5.

I'm getting VSL SE next month.

Also, do you feel it's worth it to upgrade to EWQLSO Platinum Plus? I'm going to be using mostly 16-bit. Are the extra mics useful?

Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Nobon View Post
    I use Cubase 5.

Also, do you feel it's worth it to upgrade to EWQLSO Platinum Plus? I'm going to be using mostly 16-bit. Are the extra mics useful?

Thank you.
    Only with all mic recordings EWQLSO sounds best. I think many people did not use it in this way because their low power computers. If you have enough power and have only played some notes you will never miss this. And at these days when it is sooo cheap.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by Nobon View Post
    I use Cubase 5.

Thank you.

Hmmm, well if you are getting Vienna SE (are you getting the Extended version? It comes with Epic Horns, Saxes, a lot more- it's worth it!) you might not need Platinum Plus. VSL has the detail that the close mic's in EWQLSO would give you. If you have Cubase 5, then you have Reverence which is actually the best convo reverb that's built in of any DAW IMO. Space Designer always sounds too metallic and Proverb from DP is nice but doesn't have good IRs and ERs.

I would definitely go for VSL at this time as it will give you amazing legatos that EWQLSO just cannot match. Their qlegato is beautiful for solo horns but for winds, it cannot compare to VSL's patented performance legato.

Dave

I thought that I would start off with the standard library to get a feel for it and to see if I like it. If I do end up liking it, I'll upgrade it to extended and/or plus.

Anyway I wanted to thank davecos and germancomponist for your input. Greatly appreciated!

I can't wait to use VSL!

Davecos I have followed your posts with great interest. Thanks always for your interesting insight. I'm a user of VSL as well and have some full vers VIs and have'nt as yet invested in the percussion . I have a few bits and pieces with The special edition standard. I also have the EWQLSO Gold XP but never really got into it because of the 1 mic thing. I am starting to really reconsider the Platinum Plus mainly for the percussion 3 mics and maybe the odd French Horn and brass. It's at a good pricepoint for me as an upgrade- but is it starting to age or is it still up there with the best - I heard some demos lately that are making me reconsider. Is it really that good for the percussion and brass or would you go the VI standard VSL percussion. As you know the outlay to get the Standard and EXT percussion is quite a lot of money. What is your view regarding the reverbs as well, I'm starting to think that the Altiverb route is inevitable. I use Logic Pro......

Sorry for the loaded question but I like to get opinions from people that actually use the product.

Thankyou

Have you considered True Strike? It's an incredible orchestral percussion library--very playable and realistic. It has 3 mic placements and is 24-bit.

I have several other percussion libraries, including EWQLSO Gold, and True Strike hold its place in the mix (big or small) better than anything else I've used. It's a favorite for major cinema scores.

Go Back to forum