• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: being able to play on multiple channels?

Share/Bookmark

being able to play on multiple channels?

I have one instance of GPO4 running. When I load an istrument in Channel 2 I cannot play it through my midi controller (M-Audio Keystation-88). It is a complex midi controller, and I think I need to press a certain button on it, just not sure which one.

Thanks for any help.

Re: being able to play on multiple channels?

Hello, Preston

You don't mention what app you're using. But if it's a typical audio/midi sequencer, like Sonar, Cubase etc:

--You need MIDI tracks in your sequencer which match up with all of the 16 available channels in Aria.

--Each of those MIDI tracks also have corresponding audio tracks which carry the sound from Aria. They need to be matched to the audio outs from Aria. In Sonar, that set up is done automatically when you insert an instance of Aria.

--Each of the MIDI tracks should have Omni selected for MIDI input.

--Then each track is directed to the various MIDI channels, corresponding with the channels assigned in Aria.

--When you have a track activated for record, your keyboard should play the right channel/instrument.

Randy B.

In case you want change the midi channel of your keyboard:

Channel
    MIDI data from the keyboard can be sent on any of 16 MIDI Channels. However, certain MIDI devices and MIDI software applications require
    the keyboard to send data on a specified channel. If this is the case, you can change the channel the data is sent using the following
    method:
    < Press the Advanced Functions button to engage Edit Mode.
    < Press one of the 16 Channel keys from D1 to E3, according to the Channel that you need.
    For example, if a device specifies that you need to send data on Channel 10, press the Advanced Functions button, and then key F2 to select
    Channel 10.
    The complete manual is in the M-audio site.
    Marcelo Colina

Hi Preston,
    Your midi controller is currently transmitting on midi channel one.

If you want to play the second loaded GPO instrument, you will need
    to change the midi transmit channel on your keyboard to midi channel two. Since each instrument loaded into GPO is automatically incremented by one number, you need to make sure your software sequencer or notation program is communicating to the desired instrument/slot.

If you don't know how to change the midi channel on the keyboard, you can
    change the midi channel of each loaded GPO instrument/s to OMNI. Any instrument that is set to OMNI means it will respond to any midi channel from your keyboard controller.

If you have 12 different instruments loaded into GPO, and they are all set to OMNI. they will all play, so if you want to hear only one at a time, you need to use the solo button on the ARIA mixer, this will allow you to hear just the instrument/s that are solo'd.

The midi channel on each loaded instrument in ARIA can be changed by clicking on it, and then choosing the channel of your choice.

Dan

gee wiz! The service around this place is ludicrous I tell ya

Thank you to all. I am running GPO in standalone. Now how do I change the setting to OMNI? Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    gee wiz! The service around this place is ludicrous I tell ya
    hehe--I know! Preston's post just went up and BOOM!--three of us answered him.

Notice we have conflicting advice, hope this doesn't confuse things, Preston. In my experience with Sonar, one doesn't change the MIDI channel of the keyboard, it's left at the default of channel one and the MIDI input in Sonar at Omni. That way when you activate the tracks to record, and those tracks are all set to different MIDI channels - the correct one plays without changing anything on the keyboard.

Randy

Hi Randy,
    my advice was to get his initial problem addressed, but your message may have him confused because you started discussing audio tracks in Sonar.

Maybe he can let us know exactly what stuff he is using and we can be more specific and have our suggestions not conflicting.

Dan

Fast and furious! Preston, you were posting again as I was replying to Dan.

Oh - You're not using GPO in an sequencer or notation program. Ok, you understand you'll be extremely limited in what you can do that way.

In the case of stand alone, then you need to do what Dan said - you need to keep changing the MIDI channel your keyboard is playing on so it matches the MIDI channels in Aria.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Hi Randy,
    my advice was to get his initial problem addressed, but your message may have him confused because you started discussing audio tracks in Sonar.

Maybe he can let us know exactly what stuff he is using and we can be more specific and have our suggestions not conflicting.

Dan
    Right, I was hoping he was using a sequencer. Now we know he's in stand-alone, and as per my last message, he'll need to keep changing the keyboard's MIDI channel as per your first reply.

OH well!
    Randy

Go Back to forum