• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "The Dessert" (GPO4-ized)

Share/Bookmark

"The Dessert" (GPO4-ized)

Hello -

This is the first, in a LONG time, that I posted anything in this forum. I simply haven't the time or energy to write any music. In fact, I still haven't written anything new at all this year. There is just a lot going on in life and I haven't made the time to finished any composition.

But I did have some time, recently, to explore the new GPO 4/Aria program.

I mentioned a while back that I lost one of my hard drives to my happy MacPro computer. That particular hard drive stored ALL of my original compositions that I have written since I purchased the MacPro computer in lat 2007. (Believe me, losing that hard drive was painful.)

So what I decided to do was re-sequence the four compositions that make up "Musical Sweet" that I finished writing last year in 2008. And since, like many of you, I recently upgraded to GPO 4, I decided to utilized this orchestral library for the re-sequencing of these four compositions to Musical Sweet.

Because it's relatively short, I decided to do the 4th composition first. It is titled "The Dessert". It's 100% GPO4/Aria. (The original versions utilized 3 to 4 different instrumental libraries.)

The sequencer used is Apple's new Logic Pro 9 program. Although I ran across a bug that I believe is associated with this new program, overall I like it. And I really enjoyed using the new GPO4/Aria program!

I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to comment on the mix and sequencing of the composition.

Here it is: "The Dessert" using GPO4.

Happy Composing, Folks!

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Re: "The Dessert" (GPO4-ized)

That's very good, Mister Theodore! Those are very nice tone colors and your shifting key center is fascinating. Good one! I like it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My best to you, R.N.
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

A very beautiful and lighthearted work Ted.
    I very much appreciate your chord coloring.
    I hope you find time to write more - I understand how life can be.

Great work! Hope to hear more from you soon.

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hello there Ted;
    I really enjoyed this piece a lot and a great title as well! Went down very nicely and I liked the arrangement and your mix. The whole composition is quite distinctive! I hope to hear more of your work and am so very sorry about your drive losses, that can be exceedingly traumatic!!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very beautifully done, Ted.

The open, spacious feel of this is just gorgeous;
    very well balanced and orchestrated... with quite
    delicious thinking in much of the writing, I must
    say.

Well done!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Yes, very beautiful, Ted!

I enjoyed listening very much and like the athmo what comes with this piece.

Best,

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Hi, Ted - OH my but it's so true that it's been forever and an age since we've heard your music. But I know that on those rare occasions when something is posted by you, it is always something outstanding.

Simply fantastic work - Beautiful recording of such a rich, embracing composition. Goosebumps several times while listening, I was enjoying being transported so much.

---I remember you mentioning the hard drive crash and loss of projects---ooooh the pain, let me offer you my condolences again.

THANK you for getting on here with this. I'll be returning often to hear this gorgeous piece many times over.

Randy

First . . . I sincerely wish to thank everyone for listening to my piece and for the very kind words. There are soooooooo many great composers found on this bulletin board. It is very cool to be able to share music and receive constructive comments in return.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    That's very good, Mister Theodore! Those are very nice tone colors and your shifting key center is fascinating. Good one! I like it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

My best to you, R.N

Mr. Larry - THANK YOU for listening and your kind words. I do think in terms of "tone colors" and frequently modulating "key centers". It's a compositional tool I learn many, many years ago that I tend to exploit. Listening to your compositions has challenged me to also think "contrapuntally". Also try attempt to exploit canonic structures as well (thanks to you! ) Warm regard and much gratitude to you, Larry!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    A very beautiful and lighthearted work Ted.
    I very much appreciate your chord coloring.
    I hope you find time to write more - I understand how life can be.

Great work! Hope to hear more from you soon.
    Michael - Thank you for the listen. I am glad that you enjoyed the piece. There are three more pieces that go with "The Dessert". Over the next several months, I hope to GPO4-ize them and will share them once completed.

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco
    I really enjoyed this piece a lot and a great title as well! Went down very nicely and I liked the arrangement and your mix. The whole composition is quite distinctive! I hope to hear more of your work and am so very sorry about your drive losses, that can be exceedingly traumatic!!
    sd cisco -

Glad you like the piece and the mix. I wonder if I used too much reverb. I'm never really quite sure about the amount of reverb to be used.

Yep. Losing the hard drive was painful. I actually lost TWO of them. Lost the second one about 2 days after losing the first. A LOT of audio and video work was lost. UGH! I can re-sequence the music. The video projects (mostly associated with nursing education projects) are lost, though.

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Very beautifully done, Ted.

The open, spacious feel of this is just gorgeous;
    very well balanced and orchestrated... with quite
    delicious thinking in much of the writing, I must
    say.

Well done!
    David -

Thank you so much for the listen!! I am glad to read the balance of the orchestration seems to work for you. I do my own "placing" of each instrumental section and individual instruments. It's always an experiment for me. I'm very pleased that you enjoyed the composition, David.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Yes, very beautiful, Ted!

I enjoyed listening very much and like the athmo what comes with this piece.
    Gunther -

Glad that you enjoyed the listen! By the way, I have to look up the word "athmo". LOL! I have no idea what it means! LOL! But thanks!

FYI - My great-grandparents from my father's side were both from Germany. So, I have much German ancestry in my family. (I also have much Polish ancestry too; and a little Italian and a little English. But that's another tale for another time. LOL!)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Ted - OH my but it's so true that it's been forever and an age since we've heard your music. But I know that on those rare occasions when something is posted by you, it is always something outstanding.

Simply fantastic work - Beautiful recording of such a rich, embracing composition. Goosebumps several times while listening, I was enjoying being transported so much.

---I remember you mentioning the hard drive crash and loss of projects---ooooh the pain, let me offer you my condolences again.

THANK you for getting on here with this. I'll be returning often to hear this gorgeous piece many times over.
    Randy -

Your commenting post is very kind, Randy. I am sincerely pleased that you enjoyed the listen. Although I plan on composing new music, I wish to re-sequence all four pieces that make up "Musical Sweet" using the GPO4 orchestral library. It's a great library!! (Although, I must say that the different Garritan libraries mix well with each other and with other libraries.) At the very least, the loss of that particular hard drive will put me to work on developing my sequencing chops!! Thank you for the listen, Randy!

Peace, folks. . . and Happy Composing!

With much gratitude. . .

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Ted

This is a great piece of music.

Sometimes I wish that I had the time/energy/inclination to go back and update my works with not only the new library, but with my newer skills at producing good recordings.

I don't know if anyone anywhere knows for sure how much reverb to use.

We all sort of guess and hope for the best. But the amount used in this works great.

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by efiebke View Post
    Hello -

This is the first, in a LONG time, that I posted anything in this forum. I simply haven't the time or energy to write any music. In fact, I still haven't written anything new at all this year. There is just a lot going on in life and I haven't made the time to finished any composition.

But I did have some time, recently, to explore the new GPO 4/Aria program.

I mentioned a while back that I lost one of my hard drives to my happy MacPro computer. That particular hard drive stored ALL of my original compositions that I have written since I purchased the MacPro computer in lat 2007. (Believe me, losing that hard drive was painful.)

So what I decided to do was re-sequence the four compositions that make up "Musical Sweet" that I finished writing last year in 2008. And since, like many of you, I recently upgraded to GPO 4, I decided to utilized this orchestral library for the re-sequencing of these four compositions to Musical Sweet.

Because it's relatively short, I decided to do the 4th composition first. It is titled "The Dessert". It's 100% GPO4/Aria. (The original versions utilized 3 to 4 different instrumental libraries.)

The sequencer used is Apple's new Logic Pro 9 program. Although I ran across a bug that I believe is associated with this new program, overall I like it. And I really enjoyed using the new GPO4/Aria program!

I hope you enjoy it. Please feel free to comment on the mix and sequencing of the composition.

Here it is: "The Dessert" using GPO4.

Happy Composing, Folks!

Ted
    I am glad that you have a program up and running - and I appreciate the sharing of The Dessert in ARIA. I evokes memories of star filled nights and the unique loneliness of the dessert.

You have a unique talent and I for one would love to hear more of your work as time allows.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast