• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Voyageur

Share/Bookmark

Voyageur

Hello;
    Earlier in the summer, I found myself leaving my preoccupation with war and strife, angst, anxiety and general mayhem, and instead work on this piece, called "Voyageur". Because GPO4 came out while I was working on this, I switched all the players over to Aria, midstream.
    I used melodic elements from the French Canadian traditional song, "Alouette", and when I had nearly finished it, I decided to Google "Alouette" to see what the background was. To my amazement, the song had a direct relationship with the Voyageurs, a hardy breed of early French Canadian settler who excelled at paddling a canoe and engaging in fur trading with the native Canadian First Nation's People. The fur trade was the third stage of the Conquest. Step one was the physical, step two the spiritual, and step three was economic conquest using the first valuable export and currency of exchange from French Canada, furs.

From Wikipedia on"Alouette";

"French colonists ate skylarks, which they considered a game bird. The song was first published in A Pocket Song Book for the Use of Students and Graduates of McGill College (Montreal, 1879). However, Canadian folklorist Marius Barbeau was of the opinion that the song's ultimate origin was France.[1]

The songs of the French fur trade were adapted to accompany the motion of paddles dipped in unison. Singing helped to pass the time and made the work seem lighter. In fact, it is likely that the Montreal Agents and Wintering Partners sought out and preferred to hire Voyageurs who liked to sing and were good at it. They believed that singing helped the Voyageurs to paddle faster and longer. "Alouette" informs the lark that the singer will pluck its head, nose, eyes and wings and tail. En roulant ma boule sings of ponds, bonnie ducks and a prince on hunting bound. Many of the songs favored by the Voyageurs have been passed down to our own era.

Now the song is used to teach French children their body parts."

Now, isn't that better than hot lead and cold steel!!
    Voyageur

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Re: Voyageur

Yes, a very nice departure SD!
    Very peaceful & such a wonderful idea - the use of the Alouette melody.
    A well constructed work using variations of that theme; great development.
    Very effective writing; also enjoyed the percussion - a bit "march" like.
    Nice counterpoint toward the end as well.

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Hi Michael;
    Thanks for those comments, I appreciate them. Perhaps I should consider a "Canadian Suite"? Maple syrup, jumper cables, black flies and frostbite!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Perhaps I should consider a "Canadian Suite"? Maple syrup, jumper cables, black flies and frostbite!
    Rofl! Indeed, yes, go to it.

This is very well done, SD -- much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Aaaah I loved this, Sd. Certainly shows off your versatility - And your grasp of orchestration, your musicianship, and that new more spacious sound of Aria/GPO4 is very evident.

One mixing note - the cello's counterpart that starts a little past the 1/2 way mark - it really jumped out at me as me out of proportion to the rest of the mix, as in greater volume and with such a close sound, less reverb. -Do you hear what I mean?--You wanted to solo the cello, I just think it's sounding a bit detached from the rest.

Wonderful stuff though - and thank you for the background text. Really nice.

Randy

Thanks Randy - I know what you mean with the cello part, I'd put it on a CD and listen in the car and you could barely hear it so I brought it up in the mix - I was going for a blend (or not) of personalities and this is just one of those "grating" types!
    Oh well!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Hi, Sd - Well I think you understand that I really like your piece. When a tech note pops up in my head, I sometimes pass it on.

But oh my yes, we all know how almost impossible it is to get mixes to sound good on different systems - and a CD in a car--yikes, that's almost impossible, effected, of course, by how loudly or quietly the car runs when in transit. Music playing in cars is what gave birth to the modern thing of maxing volume and dynamics out so everything is of almost equal volume - it cuts through the car noise!

Here in my quiet little studio, the cello seemed a bit too dry and loud, but it really didn't hurt my appreciation of what you'd done.

Randy

SD

I remember spending a few weeks in 5th grade learning this song.

I think you did a great job of weaving it into this.

I agree with Randy on the solo cello and understand the headaches involved. I sometimes forget to check my stuff out on the cheap headphones/speakers and get reminded of mistakes myself.

Nicely done

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Quote Originally Posted by etLux View Post
    Rofl! Indeed, yes, go to it.

This is very well done, SD -- much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thank you David!!

Best regards,
    sd cisco

SD -

Nice piece! Loved what you did with "Alouette". I sincerely appreciate the thought process behind your composition. It is nice to read what goes on a composer's head as he or she writes music. Thank you for sharing your thought process into your composition. And, thank you for sharing your music!

Warm regards,

Ted
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast