• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA - what happens?

Share/Bookmark

ARIA - what happens?

Project SONAR 8 Prod. with only ARIA for instruments -input MIDI file.

a. saving the project: normally SONAR stores the last project name, - for easy and fast loading the next time - but with the mentioned setup NO last project name, at least not the one I was working with

b. the combination CC#64, overlapping notes, in strings is very tricky, most of the time I get some strange effect, like a sort of truncation. Some of them I can solve, but mostly not. And it is not consistent at the same spot!!!!

For the time being I'll stop using ARIA 64 for older projects and hope that these things don't occur with new projects.

Raymond

Re: ARIA - what happens?

You shouldn't need to save a project in Sonar. Sonar will remember the ARIA settings on saving for all VST's. When you load the project the next time, it should be the same as when you saved it.

Jim

Raymond,

I had strange behavior overlapping notes and using CC#64. Using Sonar8 Pro version too. Thought there was a bug, but not really sure! Put it down to undocumented GPO4 features, as the otherwise excellent manual is a little lightweight on important CC behavior and any limitations.

Anyway, check that you are using a Sustain sample with CC#64. I was using the Solo Violin KS and trying to get variety with up and down samples (D1, D#1, E1) but they would not work until I put them all to C1. This is weird to me, as a sustain via CC#64 should not mean I also have to use a Sustain sample. But something to do with samples technology no doubt (aka limitations).

Another issue may be the Auto-Legato control that is supposed to work with overlapping notes. 'Supposed to' may be an unfair expression as I really need to test, but I could not get good results easily. I have made sure Auto-Legato is off on all channels, and use CC#64 only. Have to adjust velocity between notes to best effect, plus use CC#11 between notes to help achieve what the overlapping note was trying to do.

Using CC#20 and CC#64 for portamento but results are all over the place. Can get something but no consistency, and too artificial usually. Will use audio pitch bending on audio track when midi done for better results. (Ref Dan's advice on his Rhapsody video.)

Hope that helps a little.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Quote Originally Posted by Haydn View Post
    You shouldn't need to save a project in Sonar. Sonar will remember the ARIA settings on saving for all VST's. When you load the project the next time, it should be the same as when you saved it.

Jim
    I meant, I saved the SONAR project, not the ARIA settings under SONAR.
    Normally under Files (I am speaking of SONAR) you will see the latest file saved, down at the botton of that list. Otherwise and concurrent is when loading SONAR you can have as an option that little window where you can choose between some loading options, New project, existing, etc..... Under not-ARIA circumstances you will see the latest file saved (successfully saved) in that little window under Existing Projects.

To finalize, this isn't happening when I have a project with only ARIA in it.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by RichardHK View Post
    ...... too long to quote it all ........ Hope that helps a little.
    It does. Thank you. I will study this further.

Raymond

Good luck Raymond.
    One clarification from my message above. I still use overlapping notes, as well as random adjustments on note length/position, velocity, and such to add some human touch to MIDI notes. Prefer to do this manually note or groups of notes at a time. Hard work but definitely worth the effort.
    Richard
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Go Back to forum