• Register
  • Help

Topic: pedal catch

Share/Bookmark

pedal catch

I've just started playing with the Steinway basic, and it seems that "pedal catch" (where if you press the sustain pedal shortly after releasing a note, you catch the remaining sustain) is not working.

I have a switch pedal, not a continuous one, in case that's an issue.

Is this a limitation of the Basic model having to do with the missing release samples?

This is a pretty common idiom, and I do miss it.

Thanks...

-glenn

Re: pedal catch

It's a high priority for me to get this fixed in a future update - it appears simple but it's very very complex in the implementation. It won't be in the next update 1.04 but my hope is I'll be able to do it in 1.05. It doesn't have anything to do with release samples, though the release samples do make it twice as complicated to get right.

Okay, thanks, good to know. It's surprisingly hard to play without it! Although perhaps that's as much a problem with my playing technique as with the piano.

-glenn
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    It's a high priority for me to get this fixed in a future update - it appears simple but it's very very complex in the implementation. It won't be in the next update 1.04 but my hope is I'll be able to do it in 1.05. It doesn't have anything to do with release samples, though the release samples do make it twice as complicated to get right.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi Jeff,

i don't understand.

if i press the sustain pedal shortly after releasing a note, i hear the sustain resonance.

It's a very short effect and wet effect, but i hear it i, 1.03. And it's what i want, and i like it.

In a real Steinway, this effect is very short.

Some digital piano produce a dry sound after releasing a note (if you press the pedal shortly), that is unreal for me. Perhaps i'm wrong.

For example Roland Digital Piano have a unreal sustain pedal effect after releasing a note.
    It's the same sound at a lower level, but in a real piano it's a sympathetic resonance sound, very short end wet.

Don't try to reproduce the pedal catch of existing digital Piano, but try to with a real good regulated/tuned piano(with a good sustain pedal action)

In a good weel tuned Steinway the pedal catch is very short. i've tried Hamburd Steinway, with a very very short and wet pedal catching.

and i like to hear this in 1.03

Well, I'll agree that the right behavior is not to simplistically stop the release attenuation on a volume envelope, and that it is in fact quite complex (that's why I totally believed Jeff when he said it wasn't easy). Part of that is that different ranges on the piano react differently.

Where I mostly notice it is on the bass notes. They retain more energy when the dampers drop onto them, so if you lift the dampers soon enough, there is a lot of sustain energy left. Not sure, but I believe techniques like flutter pedaling too are difficult if once the "pedal up" message is received, the note is inexorably shoved into its finishing-off phase.

It doesn't sound like *just* extra wet sympathetic resonance any more than it sounds like just the dry tone re-sustaining (the Roland mode you mention).

If you play boisterous stride-like piano, left hand hitting low octaves and leaping up, you can really notice it when the pedal fails to catch those low octaves.

-glenn

Go Back to forum