• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO freezing with multi-channel input in Pro Tools LE 8

Share/Bookmark

Question GPO freezing with multi-channel input in Pro Tools LE 8

Hi, I just downloaded GPO 4 yesterday and have been messing around with it in PTLE8 today and overall am loving it but have been experiencing an odd problem. I was getting CPU overload errors using multiple instances of GPO - one per instrument - but then discovered that I could route multiple MIDI channels into the one instance of the instrument, each one being interpreted with its own sound (flute on channel 1, bassoon on channel 2, etc.). This seems to work fine, except that if I go back in to GPO to edit the channels - say, to add another instrument or adjust levels - it seems to sort of half-freeze.

I can do some limited things - I can turn off a channel, but not switch it on; I can reset to factory defaults, but then can't put any instruments back in; I can view some of the other tabs, but not get back to the first view with the instruments and sliders. And since this problem cropped up, I've had PT crash on me a couple of times. Has anybody else had similar problems? My system is a little stretched with this, it must be said, but I can't tell whether it's because my disk isn't 7200rpm, my processor is inadequate, there's too much junk on my hard drive or what. Any suggestions?

I'm running a MacBook Pro 2.16Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo processor with 2 Gb of RAM. My hard disk is 120Gb, but has only about 30Gb free. I'm recording audio to a Formac Mini Firewire 400 drive which was newly reformatted this morning, so it still has about 100Gb free on it. I've tested this out both in the session I'm working on which contains a video track plus a number of Instrument tracks, and also in a brand new session, but they both do the same thing.

Any suggestions most gratefully received!

Re: GPO freezing with multi-channel input in Pro Tools LE 8

Hi

Can you tell us the exact version of PT8 LE you are using?

The "Pro Tools LE 8.0cs3" update is required for ARIA under OSX for PT8 users.
    Any older version cause all sorts of weird GUI hangs and clicking offsets.

From the release notes:
    "Fixed: Mouse Offset and General GUI Problems With Third Party Plug-ins (Item #112890)
    Certain third party plug-ins (...) will not function correctly under Pro Tools 8. Mouse clicks are vertically offset and parts of the plug-in GUI will not draw correctly."

On top of that, make sure, if you have a multiple core machine to leave one core out of Pro Tool's multiprocessor pool. ... Ie if you have a 4 cores, leave 3 to pro tools, if you have 8, leave 7 etc. (thats in audio settings)
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Smile Re: GPO freezing with multi-channel input in Pro Tools LE 8

Hi David, Thanks for this. I checked the version from "About Pro Tools LE" in the menus and it just says 8.0, so I went to Check for Updates... in the Help menu but it says I'm up to date (which is what I'd expected seeing as I only downloaded the upgrade from 7.3 a couple of days ago) - yet this sounds very much like the problems I'm experiencing. Is there a way to manually get this particular update? Or should it come through the Check for Updates... feature?

I'm running a mere dual core system, but yes, it does seem to improve significantly when I use only 1 core at 99% for Pro Tools - it at least delays the occurrence of the CPU overload errors, although doesn't dismiss them entirely.

UPDATE: Yes, well, I really should have checked the digi site first, eh? :-) Anyway, I found the update and have installed it - MUCH better. All seems to be working fine now - THANK YOU!!!!

Re: GPO freezing with multi-channel input in Pro Tools LE 8

Hi

Always a pleasure to hear about solved issues.
    Keep us posted if you find any other critical stall.

Regards
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Go Back to forum