• Register
  • Help

Topic: Porch Music

Share/Bookmark

Porch Music

Everyone needs a little Porch Music? Really, it is called that because that is where I was sitting, watching Redwoods and humming birds while I conjured up the first draft. The sound is GPO Steinway.

Porch Music

Richard

Re: Porch Music

As always, Richard, I'm loving this piece. The homophonic passage at about 1'57'' is just fantastic, and a really inspired offsetting of the rest of the piece - I'm currently listening to it for about the 5th time, and the novelty of the stark harmonies isn't wearing off.

It's kind of late here, so my ear may be playing tricks, but it sounds as though some of the very fast repeated stuff is in octaves and block chords - i.e. gonna have to be done from the wrist, at a speed that makes 'Der Erlkoenig' seem tame. Some pianist is going to have a lot of fun trying that.

Thanks for sharing this - it's really brightened up my day.

p.s. I still want to play Firestorm one day, but I'm afraid my arms are deteriorating to where I don't see myself playing much again. I'm currently up at 2am, because I slept on my right arm, and now can't close the hand.
    David

Nice, Richard!--I appreciate this playful sojourn into your Redwood world. Your ability to compose in such a free, imaginative way is always inspiring to me.--Wow--I understand Pingu's reference to those fast passages with the chords--haaaaard, but thank heavens for computers and virtual instruments, yes?--they make such difficulties more possible.

Thanks.

Randy

David, the contrasting passage you mentioned was inserted after the rest of the piece was finished. It was the easiest and fastest part to compose. It is there because the music seemed to be screaming for it, so there it is.

Randy, the piece is difficult, I would have learned it 60 years ago, but now it is probably impossible for me. Certainly today, after a shopping expedition, would not be a good day to try it out!

The most difficult part to compose was the final 45 seconds or so. It was really difficult to establish a satisfactory closure that did not sound like an artificial contrivance.

Richard

Hey Richard,

At first, Porch Music, seems to be riding a "tonal wave" with only slight diversion of dynamics and range. Later, I loved the play of rhythm ... and the occasional abrupt change or pause. A bit of mood change toward the end.
    A most creative and original work.

Much enjoyed!

M
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum