• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Garritan Brass in GPO4

Share/Bookmark

Garritan Brass in GPO4

Hi everyone,

Just downloaded GPO4 and I love the powerful sound of the Project SAM Brass! Both simulated and sampled brass instruments have always suffered in MIDI over the years, in my opinion, being a trumpet player myself. The GPO sound set is leaps and bounds beyond anything I have ever used to represent the bold horn sections in my mixes.

However, I still have a bit of a gripe. The tounging on all the brass instruments is more of a "Fwa" than a nice sharp "Ta". This works well when I do some legato stuff, but I can never use these for bright staccato passages. I'll have to overlay a synth trumpet or an actual recording of myself paying the real thing.

Does anyone else feel this way, or am I missing some setting or keyswitch that would allow me to get a sharper attack on the brass?

Thanks!

Re: Garritan Brass in GPO4

Hi, Jnday

I'm glad you're enjoying the brass in GPO4. It works especially well to layer the SAM samples with the other GPO brass. You can weave in and out with the best of both worlds - the original GPO samples and these SAM samples. On their own, the old GPO brass can be too tame, and on their own, I find the SAM samples too constantly forte, and even a bit too wobbly on their pitch.

"Fwa" versus "Ta"--that's it exactly. There aren't separate staccato articulations, and it can be a limitation. You probably understand that the hardest attack possible comes with the highest velocity values - I mean full throttle values of 127. Used in combination with CC1 for volume, those are the max values you can get for fast staccato passages.

That's why a few days ago I was looking into editing the SFZ text files, to see if I could somehow trick the samples into getting a sharper attack - but that didn't work, and when I posted my thread about doing this work, nobody stepped forward with ideas of how to do more. Gunther suggested recording passages to audio, then shortening the file so the attack passage plays faster - but my goodness, that would be difficult to do and make sense out of a score. Lots and lots of editing involved.

Layering sharp synth attacks is a good idea if this more aggressive attack is something you're really needing for a piece.

Randy

Would upgrading to the full SAM brass library solve this?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins View Post
    Would upgrading to the full SAM brass library solve this?
    Hi, Alan - Considering both the price and the reputed sophistication of the full SAM brass library, you probably do get multiple articulations in the full version, including "Ta" staccato attacks.

To date, however, the special upgrade price doesn't seem to be settled on - and it was explained recently that the full SAM requires Kontakt - it wouldn't be a library that works in Aria.

Randy

Hi all - FYI the full projectSAM brass requires Kontakt Player only (included) - not the full Kontakt version.

Cheers.
    In theory there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice there is.

http://reberclark.blogspot.com http://reberclark.bandcamp.com http://www.youtube.com/reberclark

Rightio, Reber--thanks for making that clear. I meant Kontakt Player, and like all libraries that work with KP2, it's included with the library.

Randy

The full SAM brass includes many extra features including separate staccatos. Keep in mind that if we gave you everything you could ever want in SAM brass there would be no incentive to upgrade to their full package. The SAM Project people wouldn't think that was such a terrific thing, I suspect.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Hopkins View Post
    The full SAM brass includes many extra features including separate staccatos. Keep in mind that if we gave you everything you could ever want in SAM brass there would be no incentive to upgrade to their full package. The SAM Project people wouldn't think that was such a terrific thing, I suspect.

Tom
    Now if only the full SAM Brass worked with Aria instead of Kontakt...

Keith W.

Quote Originally Posted by KeithW View Post
    Now if only the full SAM Brass worked with Aria instead of Kontakt...

Keith W.
    That would be cool, Keith - but most of us will have KP2 around for quite awhile at least to use JABB, CMB, The Strad and The Gofriller. So...

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    ...Gunther suggested recording passages to audio, then shortening the file so the attack passage plays faster - but my goodness, that would be difficult to do and make sense out of a score. Lots and lots of editing involved. ...

Randy
    Randy, shortening the samples with a good time-stretch plug works very well, and you have to do it only once.

Save your results as new instruments and you can use them on all your new compositions!

Gunther

PS. I am not sure where I had read it, but there are some free samplers aviable.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Go Back to forum