• Register
  • Help

Topic: Stereo or not Stereo, that is the question....

Share/Bookmark

Stereo or not Stereo, that is the question....

Ok, the studio is booked and the musicians are hired, so now it\'s time to record the samples for the upcoming Orchestral solo brass CD from Bigga Giggas that I\'ve talked about before.
    I\'m gonna record it with distant miking in a room that has some ambience, but not as much that you could call a reverbation.
    Now I\'m thinking about mono or stereo samplings.
    Oki, I guess that most of you automaticly says: \"Stereo\", and so did I, BUT, a stereo recorded solo instrument could be hard to place in a mix since it\'s already, so to speak, placed in the room.
    I also think that there are no good stereo-mono converters around, so what do you guys (and girls if there are any here...) think.
    Mono or Stereo?

Best
    Worra

Re: Stereo or not Stereo, that is the question....

It seems to me that your recording sessions will be most worthwhile if you are set up to capture the samples from various perspectives simultaneously on separate tracks. Then you can pick and choose which tracks will best combine to create your final result and you should have options that will work well in stereo or mono. - Doug

If mono quality is very important, the easiest thing would just be to record with an MS stereo mic configuration - the recorded signal in this setup already consists of a mono portion, so conversion to mono is perfect. I\'ve never used it, but GS is supposed to support easy use of MS in the instrument editor as well. Good luck

I used the build in MS capacity of GS and I believe it works very well. You have to make true MS stereo recordings. One figure of 8 microphone and one omni. Record both mics on separate tracks (as with a stereo pair). You can then use true mono samples and true stereo with the same recordings inside the editor. When you need more info on the techniques I can send you some material and I\'m sure there is something about MS techniques on the web.
    I\'m not so sure if you can combine MS techniques combined with distant mics. I\'m afraid not.
    Michiel

Hi,

Why don\'t you record the session(s) using several different miking techniques simultaneously (using a multitrack recorder of course)? You can then offer a variety of alternatives, some with more mono compatibility than others.

Nicholas

I would be wary of too much room . Perhaps a comprimes would be ; Left dry signal ( ie close miked ) and right ambience . I don,t know how easy that would be to tweak in Giga , but if there was a way to then control the amount of ambience , ie put the left and right in mono you get the best of both worlds ............maybe.....?

dicky

Ohh

and another thing, please don,t forget stopped horns .

Sincerly

dicky

Ohh

and another thing, please don,t forget stopped horns .

Sincerly

dicky

if possible, include trumpets with all the mutes and various articulations using the mutes. for example: straight mute sustained/stacc/cresc, cup mute sus/stacc/cresc, ect.

Go Back to forum