• Register
  • Help

Topic: Very new to all this electronic gadetry

Share/Bookmark

Very new to all this electronic gadetry

Hi All, I hope i dont make a complete fool of myself here but..

My machine is an IMac intel 2008 series. I do not own an electronic keyboard I do not have anything attached to my Mac, like my HiFi for instance if thats even possible as I've only been using Mac's for about 6 months, and know nothing about them yet!

Ok, just downloaded GPO4, and all installed. GPO4 as a standalone product.
    can someone please explain exactly what they mean by this.

my impression is, you do not need ANYTHING else to use with a standalone product.

just in case because, after loading using the bottom lefthand load button all i find are what appears to be scales for a harp. I do not see any other files that can be loaded from here. So i guess that is all the samples this program has.

When i click the play button(Bottom left) dials and sliders move but i do not hear a sound, but if i click a keyboard key i hear the sounds of a loaded instrument, in this case i loaded chromatic harp 1 lite. Why cant i hear the scale C_Harmonic_Min_Scale thats loaded when i click play.

Lib
    LibiTiNa

Re: Very new to all this electronic gadetry

Quote Originally Posted by libitina View Post
    Hi All, I hope i dont make a complete fool of myself here but..
    Hello and welcome to Garritan on Northernsounds.

Ok, just downloaded GPO4, and all installed. GPO4 as a standalone product.
    can someone please explain exactly what they mean by this.

my impression is, you do not need ANYTHING else to use with a standalone product.
    That's partly correct. Garritan Personal Orchestra is a sample library. It uses an audio engine to play the samples. Earlier versions of GPO used Kontakt Player as the sample player. The new version uses Aria.

This audio engine can be run in several forms. One way is as an independent software program: the standalone. In this setup, the program will send the audio it creates directly to your computer's sound card. It will receive direct input from your MIDI keyboard or loaded MIDI files. You don't need any additional software to run the program, and you can load MIDI files for playback (Aria only).

The other way is as a plug-in in a notation program or digital audio workstation (the host). When in a plug-in/hosted form, it is possible to manipulate the audio output with other plug-ins. and mix the audio output with other sources. The input to the plug-in form is passed by the host, whether it be pre-recorded or live MIDI data.

As a plug-in you get more options and mix capabilities. In both plug-in and
    standalone operation user input through MIDI is required.

just in case because, after loading using the bottom lefthand load button all i find are what appears to be scales for a harp. I do not see any other files that can be loaded from here. So i guess that is all the samples this program has.

When i click the play button(Bottom left) dials and sliders move but i do not hear a sound, but if i click a keyboard key i hear the sounds of a loaded instrument, in this case i loaded chromatic harp 1 lite. Why cant i hear the scale C_Harmonic_Min_Scale thats loaded when i click play.
    It sounds like you loaded the harp packets. These are special MIDI files designed to be used on the Glissando harps. They automatically map the MIDI keyboard to make the creation of realistic glissandos easy. See the bottom of this page for information on how to use these packets:
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_HarpTutorial.html

The harp packets contain no MIDI notes, only commands for remapping, so you would not hear any sounds. To hear a C harmonic minor scale you would need to key in the notes that make up the scale.

The samples of the program are what make up the instruments you loaded. Your imagination and creativity are the sources for notes, melodies, and phrases. (It's not a loop library.)

The standalone version would require you to play live or load an exisiting MIDI file. You can create MIDI files using a sequencer or notation program. Garageband, which should be on your Mac, is a basic sequencer and a great place to start.

Since you say you're new to the entire world of digital audio, I highly recommend checking out the useful guides here:
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/laboratory/index.html

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

Best,
    Reegs

Quote Originally Posted by Reegs View Post
    Hello and welcome to Garritan on Northernsounds.

The other way is as a plug-in in a notation program or digital audio workstation (the host). When in a plug-in/hosted form, it is possible to manipulate the audio output with other plug-ins. and mix the audio output with other sources. The input to the plug-in form is passed by the host, whether it be pre-recorded or live MIDI data.

As a plug-in you get more options and mix capabilities. In both plug-in and
    standalone operation user input through MIDI is required.

It sounds like you loaded the harp packets. These are special MIDI files designed to be used on the Glissando harps. They automatically map the MIDI keyboard to make the creation of realistic glissandos easy. See the bottom of this page for information on how to use these packets:
    http://www.garritan.com/tutorial/GPO_HarpTutorial.html

The samples of the program are what make up the instruments you loaded. Your imagination and creativity are the sources for notes, melodies, and phrases. (It's not a loop library.)

The standalone version would require you to play live or load an exisiting MIDI file. You can create MIDI files using a sequencer or notation program. Garageband, which should be on your Mac, is a basic sequencer and a great place to start.

Since you say you're new to the entire world of digital audio, I highly recommend checking out the useful guides here:
    http://www.tweakheadz.com/laboratory/index.html

Hope this helps. Let us know if you have more questions.

Best,
    Reegs
    Helps quite a lot, dont understand all of it, but i'll get there. Perhaps some help with where i want to go with this program.

I've just started learning to play the violin and find it very difficule to play along with the ABRSM cd's as they're to fast and no leadin timie for each peice of music. So my idea was to put the music into a notation software and have the better sounds from GPO come through the speakers while i play along to the music at my own pace :-). The Imac doesn't have any porsts for attaching speakers, it has internal ones, and read thats not really very good for GPO4 so looks like i'll need to get an amplifier and attach some speakers. The notatin software i've got is Sib 5 and Sib 6 I can find the aria player is sib 5 and some of the instruments and see aria player in sib6 but it doesn't work in there, it wont activate.

Is what i'm trying to setup a good way to go or can anyone think of a better one please.

Lib
    LibiTiNa

Hi Lib.

I'm sure some of the old timers here will provide you with much more info than I can, but there's a couple of things I think are worth mentioning.

There's a tutorial on using GPO with Sibelius at
    http://www.garritan.info/index.php/U..._with_Sibelius
    It's oriented towards the old Studio version of GPO, so it's out of date now, but I expect it should at least point you in the right direction. Keep an eye on that area of the website.

Also, did you notice that there's quite a good GPO manual that comes with the download? It's hidden away with the installer, so you might not have noticed it.

Regarding speakers. The Mac's internal speakers are pretty awful, hopeless for accompanying real music. The little hi-tech looking things you get at computer stores are not much better. HOWEVER there is a mini-jack headphones/line output on the Mac which provides what I think is the cheapest acceptable solution. Plug a reasonably good pair of earphones in, and if you can bear wearing them while you're playing, you're in business. Another solution is to run that line-out plug to one of the inputs on your hifi set, assuming you have one. You'll probably need a mini-jack to RCA plug adapter, which you can buy fairly cheaply at any electonic gadgets store. (And, of course, once you've done that, any music you make with Sib + GPO can also be played through your hifi.)

Eventually you may want a better solution. Mine, which I've found very satisfactory, is to use powered monitor speakers. These have their own built-in amplifiers, so you can connect them directly to that mini-jack input. In my opinion, you'll get higher quality sound per dollar that way than buying an amplifier and ordinary speakers. Also less clutter. The kind of shop that sells synthesizers, electronic keyboards, guitar amps and suchlike should be able to demo a number of different monitor speakers for you.

Even better, there are a few gizmos on the market for connecting powered speakers etc to your Mac via one of its USB ports. You get better fidelity that way. I use a Griffin Firewave for that purpose: it's not expensive and does the job.

Finally, in my opinion, yes! using GPO (and suchlike) to accompany yourself on a live instrument is a great idea. I think you'll find that there's a bit of learning curve there, but climbing it is a lot of fun.
    Martin
    Canberra, Australia

Go Back to forum