• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Slightly OT - Web Building software

Wilton, NH

Slightly OT - Web Building software

Back in the old days, when men were men and web page designers used vi, I created quite a few web pages by hand. I'm a little lazier now and want some tools to help me do the job....

My web page was created in a weekend back in 2001 (actually years after my professional web design days) and updated a couple of times. The last update was 2004... it was last changed when I first began to take music composition a little more seriously.

I want to create a new web site that is devoted more to my music. I want it to look up to date and use up to date tools to create it.

Any suggestions on a good package to use?

(In case you are morbidly curious, here is my web page - I use mostly to store music I post here these days - Trent's World)
    Trent P. McDonald

Re: Slightly OT - Web Building software

Adobe Dreamweaver is a great product. It's a bit pricey, but you can Google earlier versions for a good price.

Check it out: http://www.adobe.com/products/dreamweaver/

Or if you just want something free, I did a quick Google search and got this -- it actually looks promising: http://netobjects.com/html/essentials.html
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Although I don't have a website of my own yet, I started building one with Joomla!

It's not a traditional website building software and your host needs to support it for it to work. When I get around to launching a site I'm going to use it.

Steve Winkler

>>Adobe Dreamweaver is a great product. It's a bit pricey, but you can G
    Google earlier versions for a good price.<<

I am still using Dreamweaver Studio 8 Version that is fine (pre-Adobe takover). If that is going cheap somewhere it would be an excellent option. Only problem for Dreamweaver is that the design view cannot render the most up-to-date CSS designs that use multiple <div>s as wrappers to control sophisticated layouts. But you can view your work anytime in a browser by hitting F12, so no sweat. If you are not into advanced CSS layouts, then no problem.
    Hong Kong
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

NW Illinois

I use Freeway, which is a Mac only program. It's a DTP approach to websites, where the html code is all handled by the software, and the user can just worry about being creative.

I've used NetObjects before, and actually have a "low-fi" site using a few pages built with it. It works quite well for basic projects. You can see the site here: http://bit.ly/BcGHv. The main page and the "Low" pages were created with NetObjects. Hope you like it.

On a similar note, I used Wix.com for my "hi-fi" pages on the same website. It's very easy to use and you can work on it anywhere there's Internet. There is a Wix.com link on the page created, but I think the advertising is minimal and well-worth it considering how good the program is. It's completely free, and creates an almost-professional-looking Flash website without any programming. (My website is not a particularly good demo, however. Because of the multimedia elements, it's kind of slow, but you can still get a good idea from it.) To put it on your domain, you just have to embed it in a blank page using very basic HTML.

Flash websites can look amazing, but I'm now discovering how difficult they are to program. If you actually have cash to spend, I'd go with DreamWeaver.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.
    Finale 2009b, GPO4, JABB KP2, Gofriller KP2
    Windows 7 Ultimate RC (64-bit)
    Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz, 4GB 1066 RAM

On PC, you might also consider Microsoft Expression Web. Many people are considering it superior to Dreamweaver.

Dreamweaver is cool, but too pricey, at least for me. Homesite was a great product for a great solution at an affordable price, but I just found out it was discontinued by Adobe and users are being shuttled to Dreamweaver.

I think before making a recommendation I would want to know what needs you have. XML? CSS? Or just basic HTML? There are so many products and price levels it would be helpful to know.

On the Mac, I would not hesitate to recommend Rapid Weaver. It is the coolest Web development product around. They have over 400 add ons that various 3rd party vendors produce for it. It is easy to use and can create some really cool sites. http://www.realmacsoftware.com/rapidweaver/

We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Wilton, NH

Hi everyone! Thanks for tips and suggestions to all.

To be a bit more specific – I will be developing on a PC. My old page made extensive use of CSS, but beyond that was basic HTML. For the most part most of my web programming experience has been in Perl, but I’ve done very little in the last 7 or 8 years.

I am not sure what I am going to use with the new page. I want a consistent, “modern” look throughout (my old page is very dated). I want some sort of embedded app to play the music – I don’t want a link that will either change the current page to a new page or open another window/tab.

Dream Weaver is an option, but pricy. There is a new version of the MS program, Expression, coming out in a couple of weeks – it is a lot cheaper than DW (less than half the price). There are a few other programs out there, such as Site Spinner 2 and WebPlus X2 Website Maker. The reviews of these range from ecstatic to “stay away!” and I am not sure if either of them can handle music in the way I want, or enable me to create something that can (the second one seems to rely very heavily on templates).

If anyone has any experience working with music with any web program, any feedback would be much appreciated.
    Trent P. McDonald

My new site is done with Wordpress. Main reason: it's free!
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Go Back to forum