• Register
  • Help

Topic: Is this a foolish question?

Share/Bookmark

Is this a foolish question?

As I am only a virtuoso on the KAZOO, I wonder the following:

Sometimes instrumentalists can't avoid some sort of a portamento or pitch bend, due to the distances of notes, string changes, fingering of the valves on the brass-stuff, etc. Anybody can help me find some literature about this, apart from Orchestration books, which don't have that kind of info layed out for this kazzo-player, me, in an comprehensive way.

Is there some "raw generalized - I hate that " rule for:

strings
    woodwinds
    brass

Raymond - the super kazoo-ist

Re: Is this a foolish question?

Raymond,

Good question, no worries. Have two good book references for you, the first is getting old but still useful if you can find it at sensible price. Beware of scammer dealers on Amazon/elsewhere inflating price. You can buy it from various music dealers at correct price. See book dealers on his website http://www.musicworks-atlanta.com/

Second book from Amazon/B+Noble/similar. The one you do need for sure, given nature of your question!

1. "The Guide to MIDI Orchestration, 3rd Edition." Paul Gilreath. 2004 and technology guides are dated a little. But still a valuable book. Try a library.

2. "Acoustic and MIDI Orchestration for the Contemporary Composer". Andrea Pejrolo and Richard DeRosa. 2007. Really excellent book.

These books will answer many of your questions, but not quite all perhaps. Nothing on the Kazoo! But you will be armed with the best information available. Buy book 2 for sure. Get older one from library perhaps, or wait for his 4th Edition.

Apologies for having 'Orchestration' in the titles, but they are not your usual 'Orchestration' books at all.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Great answer. Trying to get the second title. Somewhere in the Netherlands it is available according to websites. We'll see.

Thanks,
    Raymond

http://www.amazon.co.uk have the book Raymond. Good luck.

There is an earlier book by same author dealing with MIDI sequencing techniques for specific sequencers but not so good. You can get most of same info from your sequencers manual. His latest book is a real gem, and gives you a solid grounding to move onto learning ever more of the black art.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

No such thing as a foolish question.

Sebesky's book has charts which show trombone positions, so that you can tell where slides are possible, and mappings for each of the strings on string instruments, so you can see what double and triple stops are playable. I have found these very helpful. You should be able to find similar material on the web free.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    Sebesky's book has charts which show trombone positions, so that you can tell where slides are possible, and mappings for each of the strings on string instruments
    --What book is that, Ejr? The books listed on this thread weren't by Sebesky.

Randy

"The Contemporary Arranger" by Don Sebesky. It has been mentioned in other threads. Great book, though expensive (especially if you get the CD, too -- which I would advise doing). It's a bit dated, but a lot more relevant than RK's Principals of Orchestration, and I found it more helpful than the other "contemporary" orchestration books I've read.

Allegro Data Solutions

Thanks ejr,
    This book does look useful. Don't consider many books expensive compared to paying for tuition. This one is equivalent to an hour or less, assuming you could actually find an arranger to help you!
    I'll check our local music shops that are good for old Alfred publications. But Amazon can supply Ok.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------

Go Back to forum