• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 8 in F Major - BWV 779 - GPO Harpsichord - Live

Share/Bookmark

Smile Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 8 in F Major - BWV 779 - GPO Harpsichord - Live

Hey, I recorded 2 Part Invention No. 8 this morning using GPO4's Harpsichord. I also combined it with the release samples from Logic Pro's EXS harpsichord patch for some added realism.

You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djKPBklyJU

Enjoy,

Sheridan,

Re: Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 8 in F Major - BWV 779 - GPO Harpsichord - Live

Quote Originally Posted by Sheridan View Post
    Hey, I recorded 2 Part Invention No. 8 this morning using GPO4's Harpsichord. I also combined it with the release samples from Logic Pro's EXS harpsichord patch for some added realism.

You can view it here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0djKPBklyJU

Enjoy,

Sheridan,
    Nice performance, young man! When I was your age, I was still attempting to learn how to tie my shoes. I was also trying my best to get out of third grade.

It's good to know that young people enjoy listening to and playing classical music. Keep up the good work.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very nice performance - you really know how to make the GPO harpsichord sound great.

On the other hand, I still like the last post of yours I saw here -Bach: Harpsichord Concerto No. 1 in D Minor Mov. 1 Allegro BWV 1052 - better. For anyone who did not see this performance, you must watch it immediately.
    Trent P. McDonald

Nicely done.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Sheridan;
    I enjoyed your rendition of this Bach Invention!!
    However, I also followed Trent's advice and dutifully tuned into the YouTube of you doing the Bach D-Minor Concerto. Thank you for turning me on to that one Trent!, and Sheridan, well, well, truly AWESOME!! As a matter of fact, my first exposure to that piece was on the LP (first classical LP I ever bought, (honestly) the one with Glenn Gould and Leonard Bernstein and the NY PH.)
    It was a real treat seeing you perform this way and you were absolutely true to the piece and very accomplished!! It looks like I joined the Forum about a week (July 10/09) after the last time there was a posting about that performance, so I missed it in my quick initial survey of Forum musical offerings. Glad it was brought to my attention!!
    A+ for both of them!!
    Ever do any Scarlatti?

Best regards,
    sd cisco

Very nicely done, Sheridan!

Well played and well rendered.

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks everyone.

Yeah, the GPO Harpsichord has a nice sound to it. I'm also considering trying the 8' + 4' and lute stop with on some of the other inventions. Depends on the character of the piece. Like, I could see the lute stop sounding good for inventions 6 and 10 and 8' + 4' stop with the more grand sounding inventions such as 5 and 13. Probably for most of the inventions, just 8' stop would work best. What do you all think?

sd cisco Thanks. Glenn Gould's performance of bwv1052 was one of the recordings I studied in preparation. Him and the interpretations Andras Schiff, Trevor Pinnock, and Rinaldo Alessandrini were all factors in that production. Oh, and I haven't heard much of Scarlatti's keyboard music but I have a great recording of his Cantata per la Notte di Natale. Love hearing it.

Sheridan;
    Go for the Scarlatti Sonatas, a good reference for piano versions would be Vladimir Horowitz and for harpsichord, you haven't lived until you've heard Wanda Landowska do them, (I know some may differ on that), but none the less, Scarlatti's Sonatas are truly epic. Take care,
    sd cisco

PS
    A footnote to this, the work you are referring to, Cantata per la Notte di Natale, is by Alessandro Scarlatti, whereas the Sonatas I refer to are by his son, Domenico Scarlatti.
    sd

That's very nice playing once again. That style of paying is my favourite and I like to see just the knuckles going up and down.

I would like to see you play that piece again about 5 times quicker if possible.

Hi, Sheridan - I am very relieved to see you here again. The last time you posted, one of the things I said in response to your Bach Dm Concerto vid was:

"... Behold the power of GPO in the hands of a virtuoso..."

And now I can say that again about your wonderful solo Harpsichord performance.

But, Sheridan - On your previous thread, one which I discovered languishing on the back pages here in The Listening Room, and which I boosted back at the top so more people could hear it - you never returned to chat with the people who responded on that thread.

I think perhaps you didn't set up any email notification for yourself - Look below the text box for posts - when you're writing, below the smileys, below the "submit" and "preview" buttons - you'll see a "Thread Subscription" menu. Ask to have instant email notification when someone contributes to your thread. That way you can stay in the loop with your own posts.

Bravo, Sheridan - great work.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast