• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Topic: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    All,

    I built my music website, http://www.alexandermusic.com, using tools supplied by my host company, 1 And 1. The site looks differently when accessed with various web browsers. I have tried Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers and my site never displays the same with any of those, to the extent that the formating is wrong, including line spacing, picture location and more. Is that normal? Enquiring minds want to know.

    Also, I would appreciate it very much if someone could instruct me on how to set up Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome so they will "stream" music from a website instead of actually downloading it before playing. If I knew how to do this, I would definitely abandon the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.

    Thanks,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  2. #2

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    I just had a look at your site with Firefox, IE 6 and Chrome and they all look the same, couldn't spot any differences.

  3. #3

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by Tony Monaghan View Post
    I just had a look at your site with Firefox, IE 6 and Chrome and they all look the same, couldn't spot any differences.
    Hmmm...strange.

    Thanks for checking, Mister Tony.

    Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  4. #4

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    I'm afraid I don't have Chrome, but it looked the same in Firefox and IE.
    David

  5. #5

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by Pingu View Post
    I'm afraid I don't have Chrome, but it looked the same in Firefox and IE.
    I have some wrong browser settings somewhere.

    Thanks for your input.

    Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  6. #6

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    All,

    I built my music website, http://www.alexandermusic.com, using tools supplied by my host company, 1 And 1. The site looks differently when accessed with various web browsers. I have tried Internet Explorer 8, Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome browsers and my site never displays the same with any of those, to the extent that the formating is wrong, including line spacing, picture location and more. Is that normal? Enquiring minds want to know.

    Also, I would appreciate it very much if someone could instruct me on how to set up Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome so they will "stream" music from a website instead of actually downloading it before playing. If I knew how to do this, I would definitely abandon the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.

    Thanks,
    Hi, Larry - The site looks fine to me, but I can't be sure what your intended lay out is. What I saw looked very nice.

    Depending on what resolution people have their screens set at, websites with this much HTML will expand and contract to fit the space, so they're always looking different. That's been my experience anyway.

    MP3 Player (click for good freebie)

    This is what you need for having your music stream the way you want. I cannot recall who posted this info, but a few months ago someone posted the link to his new site, and we asked about the neat MP3 player he was using - and here it is.

    I'd use the first one listed, the smallest. But you understand your site will look different, because the player has to be visible. It's a nice thing to use though - users can easily pause, replay - control the music, and visitors like to be able to do that.

    Try it - You'll have music instantly playing the way you want, instead of forcing the download on people.

    Randy

  7. #7

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    A little technical note Larry,

    There is a setting somewhere in the software that writes the web site that allows the screen shot to appear differently on different size screens.

    I checked with Firefox and Explorer both open at once and side by side. I couldn't see any difference but when I wrote the stuff for my web site, www.derekgray.co.uk (not music) I used a laptop and the screen showed a slightly different set up on my pc. Have you been using different computers to get the different views?

    I'm not quite sure about how to do this, ( I have a son in the business) but you need to set the "scaling" so that the picture fills every screen the same way. Thats how the pros do it, you may need fancy software to achieve this tho
    Derek
    Things may come and things may go but the art school dance goes on forever
    NOW WITH Cubase 5, JABB,GPO, Fender Strat, Ibanez RG, Yamaha Fretless Bass, Framus Archtop, The Trumpet and Mr T Sax, together with GREEN SEALING WAX


  8. #8

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander View Post
    Also, I would appreciate it very much if someone could instruct me on how to set up Mozilla Firefox and Google Chrome so they will "stream" music from a website instead of actually downloading it before playing. If I knew how to do this, I would definitely abandon the Microsoft Internet Explorer browser.Thanks,
    Larry,

    I use Firefox exclusively, and have no problem streaming music. I use Apple's Quicktime to do so. Now, understand that once you download Quicktime, it's pretty much there forever. I have no idea how to delete it, but it's not a problem as it does what I want it to.

    If I want to download a file instead of streaming it, I right-click and choose "Save Link As"

  9. #9

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hi, Larry - The site looks fine to me, but I can't be sure what your intended lay out is. What I saw looked very nice.

    Depending on what resolution people have their screens set at, websites with this much HTML will expand and contract to fit the space, so they're always looking different. That's been my experience anyway.

    MP3 Player (click for good freebie)

    This is what you need for having your music stream the way you want. I cannot recall who posted this info, but a few months ago someone posted the link to his new site, and we asked about the neat MP3 player he was using - and here it is.

    I'd use the first one listed, the smallest. But you understand your site will look different, because the player has to be visible. It's a nice thing to use though - users can easily pause, replay - control the music, and visitors like to be able to do that.

    Try it - You'll have music instantly playing the way you want, instead of forcing the download on people.

    Randy
    I can personally "stream" music with IE but at the present time I can't do this using Mozilla Firefox or Google Chrome browsers. All I need is instructions on how to set up these two browsers so that they will indeed "stream" music instead of automatically downloading it and then playing it. I don't want to install an mp3 player on my site unless it is absolutely necessary. I will, however, take a look at the mp3 player whose link you have given me. I thank you for that, Mister Randy.

    My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

  10. #10

    Re: O.T. - Need advice for my music website

    Quote Originally Posted by buckshead View Post
    A little technical note Larry,

    There is a setting somewhere in the software that writes the web site that allows the screen shot to appear differently on different size screens.

    I checked with Firefox and Explorer both open at once and side by side. I couldn't see any difference but when I wrote the stuff for my web site, www.derekgray.co.uk (not music) I used a laptop and the screen showed a slightly different set up on my pc. Have you been using different computers to get the different views?

    I'm not quite sure about how to do this, ( I have a son in the business) but you need to set the "scaling" so that the picture fills every screen the same way. Thats how the pros do it, you may need fancy software to achieve this tho
    Thanks for your message, Mister Derek.

    Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •