• Register
  • Help

Topic: Question about Monitors

Share/Bookmark

Question about Monitors

Hi guys,
    i'm new (comparing to most of you) in business and since i plan to buy a pair of monitors this autumn, i recently started to read more about them. What i have noticed is that some of them have a frequency response above 20 khz (especially the Adam monitors). Now pls help understand why, because i read that human ear detects sounds from 16 hz to 20 khz.

Re: Question about Monitors

In general I believe most people place too much importance in studio monitors.
    Depending on what you do to some extent most quality monitors will do fine.

Don't get caught up in specs; they mean nothing.

However, if you're doing orchestral stuff it's nice to have monitors that reproduce the spectrum of 20-20 even though most can't hear that.

I have monitors costing over a grand a pair and some costing as little as $300. I can use any of them with the same results.
    You just need to know your monitors and compensate for their weaknesses.

Don't stress though. Go listen. Take a couple of CDs you like and know well and select that way.
    2 X Intel i7 920 sys. 12 gigs Ram. XP & Win 7 64
    Cubase 5. Kontakt 4. EWQL C.C.C. (Play)
    Vienna Instruments SE & Plus. Symphobia. GPO.
    RME HDSPe AIO KRK V8s Avalon Vt-747sp
    M-Audio Keystation Pro 88

My two passions. Music and Cooking.
    Both require just the right ingredients....

yes i know that u should take a listen of the monitors. but others (who i've thought they're pros) adviced me to just trust the specs cause i ain't gonna have a good listen in a store . I was thinikin to buy a pair of Tascam VLA-5 http://www.thomann.de/gb/tascam_vla5.htm but the closest store is about 400-500 km from here

Quote Originally Posted by Chalfant View Post
    In general I believe most people place too much importance in studio monitors.
    That might be the single strangest response I've run across. Don't get me wrong, I understand from whence you speak, but really, just reading it made me gasp!

There is NOTHING more critical than an accurate, reliable monitoring environment. That environment includes:
    - the space
    - the amplifier
    - the loudspeakers
    - your ears
    - and most important, your experience.

So yes, in one sense you can make the argument that some place them too high on the priority list, but, in another sense they really are important. If you can not hear what's going on you can not make intelligent decisions.

Would I recommend spending more on loudspeakers than the space itself? No!

<lots snipped>
    Go listen. Take a couple of CDs you like and know well and select that way.
    I've always "known" this to be true, but I had the most remarkable proof a couple years ago. I was between studios, and hadn't bothered to really set anything up when a friend asked me to help him record a demo CD for gigs. I agreed somewhat hesitantly because I knew I did not have a dedicated space in which to work.

I ended up mixing in my office, on my passive near-field (I dislike that use of the term) loudspeakers and it turned out well. It translated nicely into other environments, which was really the key here, and it grabbed folks by the ears, which was the objective.

I believe now that the two reasons I got away with this were:
    1) I knew those loudspeakers from countless hours of listening to them in my old studio
    and
    2) I actually knew the space, since I had moved the loudspeakers into the office when I dismantled the studio, and I had listened to a LOT of my favorite CDs in that space on those loudspeakers.

I wouldn't want to try to make a living with that approach, I was pretty nervous throughout, but, it underscores the importance of the ears on the other side of the speaker terminals<G>!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Bill, I agree with what you say and understand the importance of accurate monitoring.
    I was merely giving advice to someone new to all this stuff.

Start out with an affordable pair and go from there.
    We ALL need more than one pair for referencing anyway.

Bill, I agree with what you say and understand the importance of accurate monitoring.
    I was merely giving advice to someone new to all this stuff.
    Yeah, in rereading my post perhaps I did overreact just a little...

But lately it seems, at least to me, that the manufacturers of entry level gear just don't get it, and I find it frustrating. And if I find it frustrating how in the world are folks just learning the ropes reacting?

There's an irony to the fact that gear intended for beginners is much more difficult to set, and in some cases use, than gear intended for commercial/professional use. Any idiot can connect two devices with properly designed balanced interfaces and get a nice clean signal, but it takes some real expertise to do the same with two devices from the entry level division! One or the other may suffer from inadequate shielding, or improper grounding, or insufficient headroom or a host of other problems. And that's before you consider that there is still no standard for headroom in digital systems.

Don't get me started!

(oops... I started!)

Start out with an affordable pair and go from there.
    We ALL need more than one pair for referencing anyway.
    This is good advice... but it is thwarted by the manufacturers, or rather their marketing departments!

How is someone new to the field ever going to place a pair of loudspeakers properly without full, and accurate, specifications. Some loudspeakers will work well against a wall, some won't.

And then there is the insane concept that DSP can resolve room anomalies. It would be funny, except for the fact that too many beginners believe the hype. The situation would be so much better if only the manufacturer would describe exactly what the DSP engine can, and more important, can not do.

I have no doubts that a pair of close field monitors placed properly can benefit from very narrow bandwidth corrections. Sadly, it has been my experience that most home studios are set up so poorly that the problems the exhibit can not be fixed without fixing the setup first... and no one has come up with software for that<G>! (There is RPG's Room Optimizer, but few folks are willing to invest in that.)
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Oh Bill.
    You have too much passion that's your problem
    No, I feel your pain, your frustration.

And I couldn't agree with you more about industry hype and B.S.
    Newbies read these adverts and believe.
    Guess it's really the same in every industry.

I found it interesting re your comments on setup complexities; amature versus pro. I think in most cases you're probably correct.
    The more I think about it the more ironic it is.

Got me thinking now what monitors you like or use.
    I love my KRKs.

Oh Bill.
    You have too much passion that's your problem
    No, I feel your pain, your frustration.
    <big snip>
    Got me thinking now what monitors you like or use.
    I love my KRKs.
    That's a lot trickier to answer than you might thing<G>!

In my last room I used a pair of UREI 809s mounted flush in the front wall as my mains, and a pair of Yorkville YSM-1s on stands directly behind the console for "near field" monitors. and I also have a pair of Toa cubes (can't recall the model number but it's a 4"
    driver) that sat on the meter bridge.

The UREIs were driven by a Crown DC-300, the YSMs were driven by a Haffler DH-220, and the Toa's were driven by a Crown D-60. I've since swapped the DC-300 for a PS-400.

I have no plans to jettison the UREIs, unless I can acquire a pair of Altec 604s<G>. I had a pair of Wharfedale powered monitors for eval not too long ago, and I think I might end up grabbing them and maybe putting the YSMs in the recording space.

All of that is just a guess, I have not the funds to build the new rooms at the moment. For now I monitor on the YSMs sitting in a horrible spot, but then the entire set up is a compromise. UGH!

I have worked in studios that used various KRK monitors. In most cases I found them to be mostly honest, and the work I did translated well to other systems. If I had a complaint it would be that I was not always aware of problems, mostly low level noises, until after I heard the mix on a more brutal pair of monitors. Then the sounds were evident on the KRKs, but the KRKs don't draw attention to the problems, and I guess I think they should.

The only other 'near field' type monitor I have any real experience with are the Haffler TRM-8s and a couple different models from Genelec. All of them will make problems quite evident, which is good. All of them translate pretty well, once you figure out what they are telling you.

I found the Hafflers to be the easiest to learn, and the most pleasant to listen to. I have never really used the term "pleasant" to describe Genelecs... but maybe that was never their intention? Or more likely they just don't sound like the 604s I grew up with, or the Polks I eventually settled on for my living room. That's not a condemnation at all, every loudspeaker designer follows their own path.
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Well, a Man of taste.
    My KRK V8s are working ok for me but the best I've ever used were a pair of Quested S10s.

Too much yummy gear and never enough $$$$$

Too much yummy gear and never enough $$$$$
    Truer words have seldom been spoken!
    Bill Thompson
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF

Go Back to forum