• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Open Road (smooth jazz/easy listening)

Share/Bookmark

Open Road (smooth jazz/easy listening)

Hi all,

Firstly hello everyone; I've not been around for a long time - work doesn't leave me much time or energy to write, so I thought I'd post this piece now it's finished.

I combined a week off work with a week of evenings and came up with this: Open Road. I'm using GPO (gosh I think I'm three versions behind now!) for strings and woodwind. Everything else is Kontakt, Komplete and converted Giga samples.

I think the old guard will know what they're in for with this piece: peppy, up-tempo that (should) make you smile and maybe give you a bit of energy to help you on your way :-)

The piece is here:

http://www.hawksley.net/mp3/John%20H...pen%20Road.mp3 (5.63 MB)

The index of all pieces is here:

http://www.hawksley.net/music/

Hope you enjoy it folks!

All the best everyone,
    -John

Re: Open Road (smooth jazz/easy listening)

Awesome work John!
    Your right - very uplifting.
    Not only is the composition well written but your recording sounds very professional. I enjoyed the 70's disco sound creeping in at times.
    This type of music would be very profitable in the right hands.

Enjoyed!

M

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley View Post
    Hi all,

Firstly hello everyone; I've not been around for a long time - work doesn't leave me much time or energy to write, so I thought I'd post this piece now it's finished.

I combined a week off work with a week of evenings and came up with this: Open Road. I'm using GPO (gosh I think I'm three versions behind now!) for strings and woodwind. Everything else is Kontakt, Komplete and converted Giga samples.

I think the old guard will know what they're in for with this piece: peppy, up-tempo that (should) make you smile and maybe give you a bit of energy to help you on your way :-)

The piece is here:

http://www.hawksley.net/mp3/John%20H...pen%20Road.mp3 (5.63 MB)

The index of all pieces is here:

http://www.hawksley.net/music/

Hope you enjoy it folks!

All the best everyone,
    -John
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

John:

Another "musical gem" from Mr. Hawksley. Yes, very carefree
    and moves so nicely. Great writing John and wonderful rendering...
    as always.

Great listening. Reminds me of 2004 when we were all new to GPO
    and the days that you turned out so many great musical scores.

BRAVO

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Nice one, John 'awksley! It's that great 'awksley sound that I love. Enjoyed your work very much, as usual. It's good to have you back, young chap.

Thanks for posting your fine music.

My Best,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Very enjoyable.
    Trent P. McDonald

Bravo John!!

It's too bad you don't have more time to write, but believe me I understand.

Steve Winkler

I swear, I can tell it's Hawksley on the first three notes... lol!

Welcome back, John, great to see you here.

You never miss, my friend: gorgeous work that uplifts and
    inspires, wrapped in superb craftsmanship and an unerring
    sense of nuance and timing.

All my best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Smile Re: Open Road (smooth jazz/easy listening)

Hi all, first thanks for having a listen to the piece Much appreciated, I'm glad you're liking it.

@Michael; I was thinking about just through-composing from the end of the middle section and going off at a disco tangent, but I'll save that for another piece :-) Profitable, I think so too; but I've a publisher (non-contract) who hasn't sold it, and was a Taxi member for a year with quite a few forwards, which never sold. I've not given up trying to sell it - just not pushing that right now. Thanks again!

@Rhap2; thanks Jack; I think the more carefree and joyful my music sounds is in an inverse relationship to the sweat and energy I have to expend writing and recording it :-) 2004/2005 were pretty prolific; what a wonderful new toy GPO was! Work started to pile up though, and I was having endless - endless! - problems with Giga crashing. I hope Gary can do something with the technology, but I converted everything to Kontakt and to be honest, I'm not sorry to see Giga go.

@Larry; by the beard of Larry Alexander! I'm really happy to see that you and your beard are still on the forum Larry! Glad you liked it :-)

@Trent + Steve; thank you both. Getting old/even more of a perfectionist is making the whole process longer. I remember when I could get a piece out in an evening (well, 6pm to 3am); and an arrangement even quicker... Ah well, composers never get old, they just ad lib to fade.

@David: Praise indeed! Thanks very much; quite a lot is deliberately unquantized in this one (I record directly from the master keyboard, rather than by score input) to give it a bit more life. Thanks for having a listen - I'm happy (I think) to have a signature style :-)

All the best everyone, + thanks for listening - truly,
    -John

Quote Originally Posted by John Hawksley View Post
    It most certainly is! Love the busy bass, gives the piece a great drive. That, and pushing the beat. Wah-guitar and synth brass give it an 80s feel. Could be the tune to the successor of Hill Street Blues.

BTW I think the melody sounds best when it is not just a single piano note.

Thx!

Hello, John

You've posted but a small handful of things since I joined the Forum at the end of 2006. But I have no trouble remembering that, as it's been said here by members who've been around longer than me, that it's a distinct treat whenever you do show up with something for us to hear.

It's so wonderful and refreshing to hear something which has everything going for it - Such flawless craftsmanship in composition, arrangement, and recording. How can anyone not take a listen to "Open Road" and be inspired all over again about how strong, disciplined but heart-felt music really can be realized with these computer tools we use. No signs of hastily arrived at decisions in what you've written or how you've recorded it. A sense of pride comes through in the pristine, extremely well executed mix.

Just simply great stuff - THANK YOU, John.

Randy

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast