• Register
  • Help

Topic: ARIA automation

Share/Bookmark

ARIA automation

Hello. First off, very impressed with the smoothness and simplicity of the new registration process. Much nicer than NI's shenanigans!

However, I'm alarmed by the apparent lack of automation available with Aria VST in my DAW (Reaper). Only 'bypass' appears as an automation option for the track, in other words, on or off!
    With Kontact there was a huge long list of automation parameters available, and although a bit clunky, they were effective.
    Also, I can't find a manual in the download package, and my music pc is not on the web. Is there a manual?

Thanks for any help, Alex.

Re: ARIA automation

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    With Kontact there was a huge long list of automation parameters available, and although a bit clunky, they were effective.
    On top of being clunky, "VST" parameters are not sample accurate, while MIDI CCs are.
    Most musically useful GPO4 parameters are available as CCs. This is the only
    way to ensure that a piece will sound the same each time you play it, whereas
    if you only use the parameter interface and change audio latency of your soundcard
    from say 256 to 4096 samples, (like by sending it to someone with different hardware/settings than you have) then you will get huge amount of varying jitter-ness in the application of those parameter changes

We are toying with the idea of including them anyhow down the road, but we dont want people relying on them.

As far as the manual,
    http://www.garritan.com/gpo4manual.html

And should have been provided at the same time you downloaded it.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

"On top of being clunky, "VST" parameters are not sample accurate, while MIDI CCs are.
    Most musically useful GPO4 parameters are available as CCs."

Thanks for the reply. So do I have to use the midi CCs in the host DAW's midi editor?

Quote Originally Posted by retrodog View Post
    Thanks for the reply. So do I have to use the midi CCs in the host DAW's midi editor?
    Yes, its the only way to make sure parameter events are correctly timed with regards to Sequenced Notes.

Most ARIA/GPO4 parameter's CC numbers are displayed as a quick reminder on the UI itself.
    David Viens, Plogue Art et Technologie Inc.
    Montreal. http://www.plogue.com

Wow...the information about sample accuracy is good to have in general. Thanks for that little bit of insight.

Now the only thing I'm going to miss is being able to use my AlphaTrack to control GPO knobs (via SONAR's ACT combined with the Kontakt 2 VST Host Automation features). But at least the timings will be accurate.

Go Back to forum