• Register
  • Help

Topic: Russian Valentine

Share/Bookmark

Russian Valentine

Greeting;

Here is Russian Valentine for listening pleasures.

sd cisco

Re: Russian Valentine

---! The heavy history of Russia, perpetually struggling to free itself of its oppressed past, indelibly shaped by its harsh environment and strife-filled and unique version of Christianity - it's a rich and mysterious heritage the Russians have, and I hear that in this dramatic, funereal "Valentine."

I had flash backs to when I was there for a month this past year. When I was finding myself feeling a particularly odd mood never before experienced by me, one of my hosts said, "Ah, the mystery of Russia is enveloping you"--That all came back as I listened.

How were you inspired to do this, Sd? - I have to say the ending was unsatisfactory to me, it seemed oddly truncated, but the heavy Russian mist wrapped around me otherwise.

Randy

there, is all fix up, rather you send me on Gulag than make displeasures for Randy.

otherwise, thank you for your descriptive remarks, as to the inspiration, I'd say, you sort of get a feel for it after a while. But besides that, it's the tune, "Moscow Nights" aka "Midnight in Moscow", that tune was written by Russians and it was based on Russian Folksongs.

Wikipedia again http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_Nights

Certainly a good capture of the ponderously sweet
    sadness of the Russian spirit, SD!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks David! Russia may be just a whistle stop on the road to oblivion.
    When I think of the place, I think of poplar leaves flickering in the golden sunshine of Autumn and women in scarves, smiling.
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

S D

Many of my favorite composers are Russian. My favorite composer is Prokofiev and my favorite work is Rimsky-Korsakov's Scheherazade.

I was once about 3 miloes from St. Petersburg, but I was out at sea at the time and the is as close as I have ever been to that musically gifted country. Too bad their political system has been so unforgiving towards its great composers.

A very nice piece of work here.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

Ron - many thanks, I do appreciate it! My Mom made it to China, and a lot of other places, but the one place she never found a way to visit, was Russia. Wanted to see the sights, Red Square, the Kremlin, The Hermitage, but what she really wanted to feel, was that woolly, frosty, stubborn, yet all too human Russian spirit, first hand. This is curious, in a way, as a great deal of the post WW2 era consisted of the Cold War, with the Soviet state in our gun-sights, and we in theirs. She actually wanted to meet the boogey-man in person, show him she was just as real and alive, and meaning no harm. I met a man in a Toronto hospital a few years ago who said he had been a soldier in the Soviet Union. Told me, that through a bribe, was able to narrowly avoid being sent to Afghanistan. I asked him what he thought it was that had changed there, to bring on the end of the Cold War. He said, for him, it was the first Playboy magazine he'd ever seen. In contrast to the image of America rammed down their throats for decades, were the ads in the mag, pictures of glittering NYC skyscrapers, fancy cars, sexy women, etc., a country that seemed preoccupied with itself, and with all things free and worthy. He said his mother turned over her entire salary for 1 month, in order to help him buy his first pair of Levi's! And, of course, it is much more difficult to jam a TV signal than to jam a radio station. I was in the hospital for a hernia operation, in fact the Shouldice Hospital is famous world-wide for it's hernia repair expertise. Most are up and about (men and women), the day after the surgery. The place is more like hotel, on a private 10 acre property at the north end of the city, very park-like.
    They have a beat up grand in a lobby next to the dining room. So there I am doing my best at romantic period improv, the piano is loud but out of tune somewhat (!) and a few notes stick. When I stopped, a guy (the Russian) with Charlie Manson like hair and beard, who had been sitting on the couch listening, walks up to me and says, in thick Russian accent, "thank you, thank you, thank you! "thank you for those memories!"

Thanks again!
    sd cisco

Go Back to forum