• Register
  • Help

Topic: canned projects

canned projects

Is it just me, or is are indie games very "hit or miss" when it comes to finding a team ready to finish a project?

I understand the nature of the medium dictates that some projects will start strong and never finish (due to poor management/commitment/etc.), but it's rather disheartening to have completely scored several games that have been abandoned by the creators.

Any way around this? I don't dismiss the fact that writing for several projects has helped me become a stronger writer, but it would sure be nice to actually see the end result of my labor sometime.

Re: canned projects

It happens - and not just in indie games. It's happened more than a few times in my career on commercial projects too for whatever reason. Just walk away with the fact that you got something out of it - practice, demo material, experience - whatever.

Rock on!
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer

Thanks for the encouragement. I know there's no guarantee that any project will actually finish. Still, I had to vent a little.

In my experience it is very rare that an indy team manages to finish a game title. Most of the times they will rather go for a playable demo, and try to get a publisher on their side for the financing. I have seen great demos from very capable teams, with lot's of professional experience, that managed to finish a playable demo (prototype), but still didn't find a publisher. It's a very though market, even for established Game companies. So, yes it's normal. With this said, it happened more than once that a new team develops an unexpected best selling title.

Yeah, for me it's all becoming a bit of a numbers game. I now have 5 projects I'm scoring simultaneously (I stay pretty busy). It's a lot of work, and every project is very different from the others, but perhaps one of them will work out in the end.

Meanwhile, I'm still lining up projects...

It's really good practice wait till you have 5 projects you're servicing that are alll commercial and you have legal contracts over your head to deliver on time and with a standard of quality. It's good you're getting that exposure now.
    Composer / Sound Designer / Audio Engineer

I accept with information: Most of the times they will rather go for a playable demo, and try to get a publisher on their side for the financing.

Go Back to forum