• Register
  • Help

Topic: Section Violins 1 Sus Short ag

Share/Bookmark

Section Violins 1 Sus Short ag

The aggressiveness is supposed to be controlled by CC#1, as I read it in the manual. Applying this, I can't hardly hear any differences.

Anybody?

Raymond

Re: Section Violins 1 Sus Short ag

Hi, Raymond

As with the majority of Garritan instruments, you want to be sure your velocity levels are high, even full (127) for the most aggressive attacks, along with high CC1 values.

But to make this and similar patches sound even more aggressive, I suggest you try taking the Length control, CC21, down to around 14% for passages needing your most crisp and aggressive sound. In the Aria player, look at the Control tab's display of the Length control knob so you can see how it interacts with the level of CC21 you add via keyboard or hand editing in the Piano Roll View.

Randy

Is that a typo Raymond? The manual says agression is controlled by cc#16.

I tried my cc#16 the other evening in the pub but it didn't make much difference to the attitude of the guys from Croatia watching the football game.

Ah! Good call, L0W. I forgot there was another controller. And here's what I found by looking into Aria again after reading your post.

The regular Violins 1 Sus Short ag doesn't have CC16 in its Aria Control tab--but the Violins 1 Sus Short Bows KS Ag instrument Does have that control available. Cool---and I've never used it before!

Randy

No Typo...... copied from the manual page 134

Violins 1 Sus+Short
    AG
    Violins 1 Sustain + Short with more aggressive sound,
    controlled by the mod wheel controller or CC#1
    SusLeg, MW, Vel,

Raymond

Are you currently seeing my replies, Raymond? -or are they on the invisible list?

In case you can see - Whatever the case is with the manual, the group section you want is Violins 1 Sus Short Bows KS Ag - That's the patch with the extra aggression control via CC16. There's a limit to how aggressive the Violins 1 Sus Short ag instrument can be, though my tips earlier work. But that section instrument doesn't respond to CC16 the way the Violins 1 Sus Short Bows KS Ag does - you'll see the aggression control name in Aria.

Randy

I can see your messages [I didn't know there was some invisible list], but the KS version isn't the one I am referring to. It is the one without KS. On page 53 of the old manual (came with GPO historical version)

Vlns1 Sustain+Short ag second row from the top, says: Vlns1 Sustain + Short with more aggressive sound, controlled by the mod wheel or controller CC#1.

What is controlled? The aggressive sound or just the expression as with other samples. Or should I apply CC#16 to add some more aggressiveness?

Raymond

Hello again, Raymond - Good, I'm glad you can see my messages. I was just making sure because sometimes there are glitches with messages on the Forum.

I know you weren't referring to the KS instrument, I was referring to it because that is the one which has the extra "aggressive" control for it, CC16. The one you're using doesn't have this extra aggressive control.

But also as I said in my first reply, the section you're using Can get more aggressive with CC1 and by shortening the samples. That's what the old manual is talking about. As with all of the instruments really, higher velocity values coupled with higher CC1 values get you a more aggressive sound. CC1 controls not only the volume but the timbre of instruments.

I suggest you experiment with the KS group strings. You may very well get at least closer to the sound you're hoping for.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    But also as I said in my first reply, the section you're using Can get more aggressive with CC1 and by shortening the samples. That's what the old manual is talking about. As with all of the instruments really, higher velocity values coupled with higher CC1 values get you a more aggressive sound. CC1 controls not only the volume but the timbre of instruments.
    That's exactly what I meant and did. I am using the KS version as a separate and more aggressive section. So I have two, one controlled by some moderated aggressiveness [and shorter samples] and one by the CC#16 / KS version. In the project at hand more controllable effects.

I was asking because I hardly heard any difference, but that was before I discovered that one can get it more aggressive by shorter sample lengths.
    I am quite happy with the solution of both type of ag-samples.

Raymond

Well alrighty then, Raymond. This new version of what you're doing sounds good, glad the shortening the length control helped you.

Randy

Go Back to forum