• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Sonar Pro 6 + ARIA VST Plug-in - Stuck Notes

Share/Bookmark

Question Sonar Pro 6 + ARIA VST Plug-in - Stuck Notes

Having Solo’ed a bounced Soft Synth track, when I un’Solo it without Muting the original MIDI source tracks and ARIA VST plug-in, I get a stuck note. Stopping and re-starting the Sonar 6 Audio Engine doesn’t clear the stuck note, nor does applying a full MIDI reset. The only option is to exit Sonar 6. This ‘appears’ to be an ARIA VST plug-in related problem as GPO 1.x doesn’t exhibit it. Anyone else had similar problems with this or any version of Sonar

Re: Sonar Pro 6 + ARIA VST Plug-in - Stuck Notes

Quote Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
    Having Solo’ed a bounced Soft Synth track, when I un’Solo it without Muting the original MIDI source tracks and ARIA VST plug-in, I get a stuck note. Stopping and re-starting the Sonar 6 Audio Engine doesn’t clear the stuck note, nor does applying a full MIDI reset. The only option is to exit Sonar 6. This ‘appears’ to be an ARIA VST plug-in related problem as GPO 1.x doesn’t exhibit it. Anyone else had similar problems with this or any version of Sonar
    Hello, Alan

I use Sonar (8.3) and haven't had that problem - BUT I've never done anything like what you've described before. I can't figure out why you're following this procedure you outlined:

--When a soft synth track has been bounced, then it's time to mute and archive both the original MIDI track and the associated Audio track. And if you're through with the VST instrument at that point, then it should be turned off in your Synth Rack.

--There's no point of having everything still active in the project once you have the audio tracks to mix with.

--Why would you want the soft synth to still be playing - doubling what you've just recorded?

Since my routine is always to mute and archive those tracks I'm finished with, and to disengage a soft synth when I'm through with it---I've never had two tracks (Audio and MIDI) of the same thing playing at the same time. - So, maybe I'd have the same problem if I did what you're doing.

The question is--Why aren't you turning all those things off when you don't need them anymore--?

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Hello, Alan

The question is--Why aren't you turning all those things off when you don't need them anymore--?

Randy
    Hello Randy,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, I do archive MIDI tracks as I bounce them; the problem is I sometimes forget to archive or at least mute them before I un'Solo the bounced track. I'm then left with stuck notes and no other option but to close down Sonar. It's not a major problem but then again it's not very user friendly either If it was found to be a general problem I thought Plogue might consider fixing it in the TBA update.

AH, I see, Alan - It's a matter of sometimes forgetting to mute/archive. I suppose it's possible that it's an Aria issue - but from the outline of the scenario for this, it sounds more likely to be a Sonar issue, like it's struggling to deal with audio playback and simultaneous MIDI playback of the same track. Hmmm.

I think you must be bouncing a single track at a time, then soloing it to make sure it's OK. That seems reasonable.

The way I work, though, is I'll bounce a number of tracks at the same time, asking for "Tracks" and not the whole mix as I bounce - you get individual tracks, each with one instrument.

As per excellent information recently posted by Plogue team members, it is NOT wise to try recording/bouncing with "fast bounce" turned off. In Aria, because of the way it streams data, you can get all sorts of errors in your rendered tracks unless you DO keep "fast" turned on. Only when fast bounce is turned on does Aria communicate with Sonar the way it needs to. - That tip might help you.

Randy

Hello again Randy
    I’ve done a bit more investigating and it transpires that the problem I have is more serious than just an occasional annoying stuck note. I’ve discovered that on bouncing certain tracks (more info below) the first part of the sequence is missing in the bounced audio track , it doesn’t matter if I bounce tracks individually or as a group.

Here are some basic observations:
    1. This problem does not occur when using GPO 1.x with the KONTAKT 1 Player
    2. CPU usage is only at around 25% with all bells and whistles blowing as my CODEC, Digital Effects, Equalizer, Compressor, and Digital Mixer are all hardware based. (Yamaha DS2416 x2).
    3. Playback of the MIDI tracks via the ARIA Player is faultless, excepting the Sonar GUI interference problem noted in other forum threads.
    4. The affected tracks have MIDI data at Time 0. My ‘simplistic’ view is that there appears to be a delay before the ARIA Player responds to MIDI data and starts streaming audio data to the DS2416 CODECs.
    5. I am currently using WDM drivers with the DS2416’s as this is the lowest latency driver type that Yamaha support for these now discontinued Mixer Cards (down to 2.9 msec has always worked well with Sonar 6).
    I COULD install ASIO4ALL and see if that improves the situation but I’m reluctant to make more software changes at the moment as deadlines are rapidly approaching.

I will try time shifting the MIDI source away from Time 0 and see if this fixes the problem; if you have any further suggestions on what to try it would be greatly appreciated.
    I do have one question for you already: One of the Soft Synth options available when registering the ARIA Player VST Plug-in with the Cakewalk VST adapter is “Use Delay Compensation”; this option is not available with the KONTAKT 1 Player VST Plug-in, what is this option used for and should I be enabling it?

I’ll post an edited version of this ramble on the Sonar Forum too and see if anyone there can offer an explanation as to what is happening.

Hi, Alan

I'm glad you're posting these questions at the Sonar Forum also, because experts there might very well be able to spot the problem or at least give you ideas of things to try. I'm not thinking of anything else significant to say.

I do you think you have a good idea to move your MIDI tracks so there's a one measure count in. You know the super simple way of doing that - ? Select everything, rewind to the top, use the insert dialogue to insert 1 measure making sure that everything slides over to make room for the insert - markers, tempo changes, along with the notes.

On a routine basis I leave a one measure count in, and then when I'm mastering the mix-down, crop out the dead air at the top.

You are bouncing with "fast bounce" on, right? I had a problem bouncing some tracks early on with Aria where low frequencies bumps would appear in the track. It was explained to me that Aria doesn't bounce tracks properly if fast bounce is unchecked, that it needs fast bounce on to know that Sonar is going to do a bounce routine. So be sure you're leaving fast on.

I wasn't aware of the option to "Use Delay Compensation" when installing Aria. - ? -

I've never been able to make WDM drivers work efficiently, always using Asio - But I understand you don't have that option with your card.

I've run out of stuff! Let us know if the Sonar folks are helpful.

Randy

Thumbs up Sonar Pro 6 + ARIA VST Plug-in Bounce to Tracks Problem - Fixed

Hello Randy
    Adding a blank full measure to the beginning of each MIDI track, as you suggested, fixed the Bounce to Tracks problem. Many thanks for your help.

Re: Sonar Pro 6 + ARIA VST Plug-in Bounce to Tracks Problem - Fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Alan T View Post
    Hello Randy
    Adding a blank full measure to the beginning of each MIDI track, as you suggested, fixed the Bounce to Tracks problem. Many thanks for your help.
    Hey, great, Alan!---I was hoping that was where the problem was. Just yesterday I had reason to do a Very quickly put together recording, and I didn't leave a blank measure at the top the way I usually do - in the bounce, the opening note was missing--just like what was happening to you.

OK, so we know for sure, it's more crucial now than before to Always leave a count in measure. Helps in many ways to do that - good for hearing the metronome before playing, you can have CC data set before the first real measure, and other synths could have a similar problem being forced to start too soon. So, it's good practice.

Thanks for letting me know it worked out.

Randy

I had a similar minor issue. For some reason it seems that the ARIA player doesn't properly bounce/export audio from MIDI clips with data at the very beginning of the clip. If I slip-edit the beginning of a MIDI clip the tiniest little bit to the left of the first note/data, then things work fine.

Oddly enough, turning off "Fast Bounce" also works; but Fast Bounce is such a big time-saver that I don't consider that a solution.

Slip-editing clip beginnings works OK for me now. Hopefully ARIA will be updated to nix this little issue.

Other than that, ARIA has been PERFECT for me so far. It's easier to use than the Kontakt Player versions and way, way, WAY more stable -- not a single crash yet. I've already done more with it (crash-free) in a day than I could with the old versions in several days.

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite5ths View Post
    I had a similar minor issue. For some reason it seems that the ARIA player doesn't properly bounce/export audio from MIDI clips with data at the very beginning of the clip. If I slip-edit the beginning of a MIDI clip the tiniest little bit to the left of the first note/data, then things work fine.

Oddly enough, turning off "Fast Bounce" also works; but Fast Bounce is such a big time-saver that I don't consider that a solution.
    Hi, Infinite5ths

Hmmm, this is a bit different, and the first I've heard of this. You're saying that the first note of All clips tend to not be bounced correctly, and not just the opening of a project. That could call for a Lot of slip editing, since a project can have hundreds of clips in them. Interesting--I wonder if other people are having the same problem? My issue, and the one Alan encountered, was only with the very first measure of a project, and that's why inserting a blank measure at the top fixed our problem.

Tom Hopkins, the main programmer for the Garritan instruments, recently explained that more errors happen when Fast Bounce is turned off, because Aria doesn't understand that rendering is being demanded unless Fast is on - And his advice has worked out for me really well. Previously in KP2, the instruments that stream - Authorized Steinway, Strad and Gofriller wouldn't bounce correctly with Fast Bounce, so I routinely had to bounce them in slow mode. But now things are just the opposite, with Fast being the most reliable way to bounce GPO and The Steinway--Odd that unchecking Fast is working better for you - ?

Randy

Go Back to forum