• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: The Peacock

The Peacock

Hi Everyone,

I thought I might post this piece I recently finished. The piece is called the Peacock and is my musical impressions of the painting of the same name by a great Dutch artist named Melchior d'Hondecoeter.

I wrote the piece over the course of about 8 weeks. I tend to write in short score then sit at a table and orchestrate. This one I orchestrated in a pretty concentrated and very long week. The sequencing... well that took a while... longer than actually writing and orchestrating the piece combined!

In this one I had this underlying concept where I superimposed a wholetone scale on top of a chromatic scale and started to draw out traidic formations from the ensuing layered scale degrees. The results were really cool and in many ways very much of a revelation to me but alas, thats a topic of a much different conversation.

One thing to note: Anywhere you hear a solo piano you have to imagine the solo string that would be most appropriate in that register for the context. I tried a lot of different solo string samples and couldnt find anything that I could mold into a decent representation of what I was after at those moments so I decided to just have the piano as a place holder. Luckily there arent too many spots where this occurs.

The sequence draws from my collection of various libraries. As always I use a lot of the old GOS, some VSL, some GPO, and even dig deep now and then and call on some dusty oldies like the original Miroslav and some others.

If you would like to see the picture, you can go here

I hope you like it ;-)

Last edited by Andy Brick; 09-28-2009 at 05:57 PM.
    Phone: 917-327-0293
    Email: andy@andybrick.com
    Web: http://www.andybrick.com
    AIM: andybrick

Re: The Peacock

Hello Andy

What a marvelous gem to discover already sinking off the front page! - I don't know why this is, but when hovering over the right hand column on the LR's front page, I can see you've only had one viewing hit - and one is the default setting--Your post has seemed to be invisible--?!

It's a beautifully constructed piece, so evocative of the inspiration source. I was totally enthralled. A completely outstanding contribution to our music page here--Thank you!

Southern Ontario, Canada

Dear Andy;
    Randy is right, this needs immediate attention! I read the post this morning, but had to rush out and now finally, in blissful tranquility of HappyHour, I can relax, and I did, and then, give your piece a listen. And in so doing, the LR once again has proven its value. I am very happy to hear this music, you are very skilled at composition and orchestration. I tried, in vain, to apply the concept, you wrote "In this one I had this underlying concept where I superimposed a wholetone scale on top of a chromatic scale and started to draw out triadic formations from the ensuing layered scale degrees." but I was quickly caught up in the beauty of the music and the flowing movement of feelings and ideas. I appreciate you posting this work and can tell you I'm on-board with what you have presented here, and I enjoyed it very much!
    Thank you for sharing this, I'll watch for more!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

But that's a great composition indeed. Subtle instrumentation, themes bouncing around, slowing down and picking up, wonderful harmonies, a mixture between impressionism and late romanticism, perhaps some early modernism. Great rendering too. My compliments and praise!

A great composition Andy. Very descriptive of the picture. She
    sure gets to strutt her stuff toward the end........lol

Seriously, I hear a lot of impressionism in this creative effort, but
    it's beauty overshadows an otherwise analytic endeavor. You have
    written an awesome piece here Andy and it was so well rendered. Your
    library must be full of the best of the rest because everything I heard
    was first class.

A wonderful listening experience.

Jack Cannon--Toshiba laptop, 2.8 GHz CPU, 1.5 GB RAM, GPO4-JABB3-Auth. STEINWAY-Gofriller CELLO-Stradivari VIOLIN-COMB2-WORLD, FINALE 2009/11, RME Digiface, Cardbus, V-Stack---Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 8, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express.--MacBook Pro 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

So much has already been said -
    & I agree with it all!

Absolutely Awesome ...

Much enjoyed.

"...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music

Bravo, Andy!

A gorgeous piece, very well conceived -- a compositional
    pleasure of rare nuance, subtlety... and delight.

With admiration,

David Sosnowski

Fabulous impressionism!

The opening is stunning!
    It is like Debussy, Ravel and Stravinsky all in one!

I also like the idea of composing for a painting.

Much enjoyed and looking forward to hearing more from you!

Why so modest? It is great. Subtle and definitely needing some solo violin.
    You must be very fond of Ravel's music, it is just there in the developments of phrases, you adopted for your own music. Nice painting!!!

In other words, a great work that attracts people to listen all the way through. I am not a professional composer, not even a professional listener, but this work goes all the way to the very end as it is filled with very interesting harmonic settings and moods.

Pity, it is coming to an end (listening while writing). Now another time without writing!!!!

Penfield (Rochester), NY

Wondeful composition, first rate interpretation of the painting that you have referenced. And your production of the work is stunning! Thanks for sharing it here in the forum.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast