• Register
  • Help

Topic: Can the velocity curve setting be automated?

Can the velocity curve setting be automated?

Can the velocity curve setting be automated on the Steinway basic.
    Currently I'm using separate tracks for different velocity curves.

Re: Can the velocity curve setting be automated?

Hi Ome,
    Unfortunately I don't believe there's any way to automate the velocity curve.

Hi, ome248

That's an interesting request - one I wouldn't have anticipated.

Are you working in a sequencer like Cubase or Sonar? If so, it isn't difficult to control velocities via filters in the apps. I use Sonar, and get a lot of use out of the Velocity MIDI effects filter. With it, I can limit the low and high range of velocities on a selection - which has the same effect as using a different velocity curve.

Other velocity filtering is possible also - making all velocities for a selection be the same value, to slowly increase by a given amount, to reduce by a percentage up or down the overall values - things like that.

In the Piano Roll View, I also do a lot of re-drawing of velocity values - Sweeping through to flatten things out more if I want - Sometimes that's more intuitive than using the Velocity filter.

Most keyboards also have different velocity curves available. I leave the Steinway's curve at the default straight-line setting, and if I need special velocity responses, change the curve on my keyboard and/or use the Velocity filter described above.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into the methods you mentioned. I'm not educated on this stuff, I do it as a hobby. But I am trying to learn as much
    as I can online. I had a feeling this would end up being a question that reveals a lack of knowledge. Thanks for being kind. I'm working in samplitude 10 pro and soon free 11 upgrade

I'm not sure if your talking about adjusting the velocity of midi notes. I am
    aware that controls how hard the keys are pressed on piano. But I was under impression velocity curve activates different scales that cant be accessed through velocity on midi notes. For instance when the soft press velocity curve is selected and I adjust a notes velocity to top value its not the same as when hard press velocity curve is selected and I select top value of velocity on a midi note. Perhaps this isn't the same thing as you are referring too. Or perhaps I'm wrong all together. I'll look into it, thanks again.

I mentioned this early on in the beta testing that the velocity curve should be affected by dynamic markings in notation programs. If the score shows a crescendo, the velocity curve would increase to accommodate the dynamic markings. THAT WOULD BE AWESOME for notation users!

Some notation programs already determine "velocity" based on modwheel data.

I really think this would be a very useful thing to add in the next update.

Go Back to forum