• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO4 - I'm Impressed

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 - I'm Impressed

Wow, I found the new powers of GPO4 in the past few days. All this talk about not being able to load a full orchestra and use it effectively is just that - talk.

It's really exciting.

I created an orchestra pre-load that requires 4 instances of GPO4, and it WORKS!!

1) Woods, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 1
    2) Brass, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 2
    3) Strings, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 3
    4) Percussion, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 4

I purchased a program that provides up to 30 virtual MIDI ports to your sequencer called LoopBe30. Right now I'm only using 4 MIDI ports, but it's a FULL orchestra!!

It's so exciting to be able to run multiple instances of GPO4, for as many MIDI ports as I need.

Just to test, I loaded one of my old sequences of Britten's Guide to the orchestra, and went through the entire thing, with 27 channels, and not one hang-up!!!

Gary, you and Tom are to be congratulated! This stuff works, and it works well!!

Heh, the next test will be Strauss' Salome, which in my case requires 63 channels of MIDI. We'll see!

Stevemitchell

Re: GPO4 - I'm Impressed

Hi, Steve - It's fun to see you catching Aria-mania like the rest of it. Aria really is so much more efficient than what we had before, and easier to use--And it has a great new sound with the Stereo Stage, Auto Legato and EQ so readily available.

Your post here makes me curious about a few things, maybe you can provide some answers.

What sequencer are you using? I don't understand what you're saying about the extra program you've added to your set up - You have 4 instances of Aria loaded, but that can be done without the need for an extra app. - ? Why are they all listed here as separate ports? Each instance of Aria loaded into a sequencer app is automatically its own "port," with its own unique set of 16 MIDI channels.

How are you using up 16 MIDI channels for Woods--? So you have piccolo, flute, oboe, english horn, clarinet and bassoon. - I guess you mean the rest are are doubling, and then plus more? And that would be the case of the rest of the instruments too - But I really can't think of how you'd use all 16 channels for the percussion. Basic Orchestral Percussion covers tympani, cymbals, snares, more - Add Percussion Toys - I can't think of what else could be filling out all those MIDI channels - ?

There could be some limitations in the sequencer app you use that I'm not aware of--That's why I'm curious.

"Salome"---! I bought the full score for that several years ago with the idea that I would sequence the whole thing, but I got overwhelmed with it before I even started. wow--BIG project!

Hope you can fill in the gaps of my understanding here - I'm curious what everything in your post means. Thanks.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by SteveMitchell View Post
    Wow, I found the new powers of GPO4 in the past few days. All this talk about not being able to load a full orchestra and use it effectively is just that - talk.

It's really exciting.

I created an orchestra pre-load that requires 4 instances of GPO4, and it WORKS!!

1) Woods, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 1
    2) Brass, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 2
    3) Strings, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 3
    4) Percussion, filled all 16 channels of what will be Port 4

I purchased a program that provides up to 30 virtual MIDI ports to your sequencer called LoopBe30. Right now I'm only using 4 MIDI ports, but it's a FULL orchestra!!

It's so exciting to be able to run multiple instances of GPO4, for as many MIDI ports as I need.

Just to test, I loaded one of my old sequences of Britten's Guide to the orchestra, and went through the entire thing, with 27 channels, and not one hang-up!!!

Gary, you and Tom are to be congratulated! This stuff works, and it works well!!

Heh, the next test will be Strauss' Salome, which in my case requires 63 channels of MIDI. We'll see!

Stevemitchell

Thanks for the heads-up Randy.

One of my favorite sayings is "When all else fails, read the instructions". In this case, I didn't follow my own advice.

The multiple instances of the Aria player are now running under Sonar as a plug-in.

I'm an old MIDI guy from way back, kinda stuck in my old-world MIDI view about the necessity of MIDI ports before you can do anything.

All the stuff I said before still holds.

Steve

Thanks, Steve - AH, I see. So it's not as if the sequencer you use is limited in some way - You don't really need that extra program. Well but I Do understand where you're coming from. I'm an "old school" MIDI guy too, and remember well how we had to deal with different ports. I remember how thrilled I was when I could get past the first bank of 16 MIDI channels and actually get more than 16 instruments into a project. Things really are different now. BUT I still use my old 360 Systems MIDI patcher to rope in my old hardware synths when I want them.

Randy

Randy,

You last post reminded me of when I only had a Yamaha DX synth and TX-81z. I thought it was great that I could get 9 channels of sounds at that time. We sure have come a long way from those days.

Jim

Go Back to forum