• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: GPO4 Suggestions and possible problems

Share/Bookmark

GPO4 Suggestions and possible problems

Hi,
    I've started using GPO4 a little more intensely now and I can say that it's definately not a smooth ride.
    Putting that a side for a moment, I have a couple of suggestions:
    1. Enable draging of instruments from one ARIA slot to another along with its EQ, reverb and other settings instead of needing to set up the instrument from scratch.
    2. Have a mark in the instrument list next to the instrument currently loaded into a slot. The way it is now is that after I load an instrument and open up the instrument list again, part of the instrument name is cut off by the instrument list. This and the ability to quickly find the currently loaded instrument in the list will be a good time saver. The mark should be placed next to each sub category in the list and next to the instruemnt itself in the last sub-category. That way I can navigate quickly to where the instrument is in the list and locate it quickly within the last sub-category.
    3. I'm sometimes getting phasing problems with the string section instruments (not solo instruments but the section ones).
    4. Add meters to the ARIA player so that we know which slot is playing when and how loud etc. Right now I have a piece playing but while looking at the ARIA player I have no way of knowing which of the slots is playing when and how loud (is it peaking?).

As I said, my first steps with the ARIA player and GPO4 in general not too smooth. Hopefully my comments can improve the user experience with the software.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Re: GPO4 Suggestions and possible problems

Quote Originally Posted by yairhol View Post
    4. Add meters to the ARIA player so that we know which slot is playing when and how loud etc. Right now I have a piece playing but while looking at the ARIA player I have no way of knowing which of the slots is playing when and how loud (is it peaking?).
    Each slot, at the left of the slider, has a peakmeter, but they are not working. Maybe they will be working for some future update?

More ideas:

1-Be able to load "multis" or "ensembles" from ARIA itself. Browse the folder where they are and drag-n-drop is less fast.

2-Be able to display/hide the piano/keyswitches of each instruments. Something like this:

Marcelo Colina

1. Enable draging of instruments from one ARIA slot to another along with its EQ, reverb and other settings instead of needing to set up the instrument from scratch.
    I'm not sure why you would want to copy an identical instrument to another slot. GPO (as well as JABB & CaMB) is setup with multiple instruments in each category such as the Flute Plr1, Flute Plr2, Flute Pl3 so you don't have to use Flute Solo Vibrato in 2 slots. Using just the Solo instruments will cause phasing. It never takes me more than a few seconds to setup the instruments I need. The settings are then saved with my sequencer. I create templates from there so I don't have to setup the instruments again.

2. Have a mark in the instrument list next to the instrument currently loaded into a slot. The way it is now is that after I load an instrument and open up the instrument list again, part of the instrument name is cut off by the instrument list. This and the ability to quickly find the currently loaded instrument in the list will be a good time saver. The mark should be placed next to each sub category in the list and next to the instruemnt itself in the last sub-category. That way I can navigate quickly to where the instrument is in the list and locate it quickly within the last sub-category.
    I've never found a need for this as the categories are quite easy to follow.

3. I'm sometimes getting phasing problems with the string section instruments (not solo instruments but the section ones).
    It sounds like your loading the same string section in multiple times. I've never had phasing problems.

This would definitely be handy. At the minimum I would like to see output meters to tell how loud the level is in the plugin.

Jim

I'm not sure why you would want to copy an identical instrument to another slot. GPO (as well as JABB & CaMB) is setup with multiple instruments in each category such as the Flute Plr1, Flute Plr2, Flute Pl3 so you don't have to use Flute Solo Vibrato in 2 slots. Using just the Solo instruments will cause phasing. It never takes me more than a few seconds to setup the instruments I need. The settings are then saved with my sequencer. I create templates from there so I don't have to setup the instruments again.
    I'm not talking about duplicating an instrument. I'm talking about moving an instrument from one slot to another in order to re-arrange the instruments. For example I start out with 2 strings (player 1 & 2) in slots 1-2 and keyboard in slot 3. Now I decide to add another string. Instead of adding it in slot 4 and having the strings seperate from one another in the ARIA player, I want to be able to drag the keyboard instrument to slot 4 and add the string to slot 3. It would be very handy to be able to do that without losing the dragged instrument's (keyboard in this example) settings.

I've never found a need for this as the categories are quite easy to follow.
    I disagree. Sometimes I press the instrument list and my mind goes blank which instrument was in slot. Now the instrument list is covering part of the name of the instrument currently loaded and I need to get out of the list, look at the instrument's name again (was it 1st violin AG KS or 1st violin AG?) and go into the list again.

It sounds like your loading the same string section in multiple times. I've never had phasing problems.
    No. This happened with only 1 instrument in 1 slot of the ARIA player.
    I'm glad it never happened to you. It happened to me quite often with the string section instruments.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Hi, Yairhol - Everyone's experience with any software is bound to be unique, and after following your posts for awhile now, it seems like your experience with Aria is truly unique and unusual. I feel there must be some elements in your work flow which are making things more difficult for you than needs be.

Haydn's response is very well considered, and he brought up a number of the same questions I was asking myself as I read your post. itself in the last sub-category. That way I can navigate quickly to where the instrument is in the list and locate it quickly within the last sub-category..."

"...Have a mark in the instrument list next to the instrument currently loaded into a slot. The way it is now is that after I load an instrument and open up the instrument list again, part of the instrument name is cut off by the instrument list. This and the ability to quickly find the currently loaded instrument in the list will be a good time saver. The mark should be placed next to each sub category in the list and next to the instrument..."

I remember you talking about this in an earlier thread - and I still don't understand why this is an issue. Why do you need to find the instrument again which is already loaded in the slot - ? I remember when you brought this up before, I had the impression you thought you had to find it in order to delete it - and you replied that you weren't trying to do that. -But I still don't understand what the problem is - ? The instruments are so easily found - it takes seconds to go for, example, Woodwinds, Flutes - and then the specific instrument. - ??

"...Sometimes I press the instrument list and my mind goes blank which instrument was in slot..."

But you don't need to unload an instrument before replacing it. You just leave it there and if you want to replace it - its name is visible up until you push Load on a new instrument - there's no way you can forget what instrument was there because there was no need to delete it in the first place----

You're using a version of Cubase - Why aren't you working more inside that app? It sounds like you're trying to do a lot of work inside Aria which is more efficiently done in your recording app.

For instance, I don't understand at all why you would want to re-order the order of instruments in Aria - That's the kind of thing one does in Cubase:from one another in the ARIA player..."

"...I'm not talking about duplicating an instrument. I'm talking about moving an instrument from one slot to another in order to re-arrange the instruments. For example I start out with 2 strings (player 1 & 2) in slots 1-2 and keyboard in slot 3. Now I decide to add another string. Instead of adding it in slot 4 and having the strings separate from one another in Aria..."

In Cubase, in any sequencer, if you need to change the order of tracks/instruments, you just drag them up or down in the track view. That way you can keep your strings together, woods together etc. But it doesn't matter in the least what order they're in inside Aria.

It sounds like you're going back into Aria a lot - Aria is just the engine to get the instrument sounds into your DAW. Load them up, turn on the controls you want - and then you can work almost exclusively in your DAW--Cubase. You have volume control, pan, EQ, reverbs all in Cubase - Just pipe your sound into the DAW and use all the tools available there.

--This thing of hearing phasing with one instrument loaded - This can't be "phasing," because that's an artifact caused by two identical sound sources being triggered a split second apart. There has to be something you're not setting up correctly in Cubase, so you're adding an echo of the track or something. The samples sound exactly the same way every time they're loaded, so if you mean it only happens occasionally, then obviously something else is happening when that problem comes up.

Ah one more item - I know people like to use Multis and various templates - In my several years of using GPO now, I've never used a Multi or saved a unique set up for recalling in other projects because I find all that totally unnecessary and clumsy. When you're using a program like Cubase, it's so easy and straight forward if you need the same instrument line up that you've used before - you just call up a project with that grouping, delete the tracks - Voila, instant blank project with all your instruments loaded. Takes literally seconds - No need to import, drag n drop, any of that. Remember that sequencers retain all of your instrument data with a project - the instruments used and any special tweaks you gave them like tuning, EQ, stereo stage on or off-etc.--it's all saved and can be used over as many times as you need.

Randy

Hi Randy,

I don't know why my experience is the way it is but I'd like to ask you:

1. after you've loaded an instrument into ARIA and opened up the instrument list again in that slot, have you noticed that the list cuts part of the loaded instrument name in that slot? In my version of GPO4 this happens when the instrument has a long name.
    you wrote:"...its name is visible up until you push Load on a new instrument " - This is simply not true...at least not in my version of GPO4 for long named instruments.

2. Don't you set up the instruments in the ARIA player in an orderly way (strings next to eachother, keyboards next to eachother, woodwinds next to eachother, etc. ) so as to be able to immediately locate an instrument when you next open ARIA? What happens if you want to add a stringed instrument but the next slot next to the last string instrument is taken up by a different instrument (say keyboard)? Don't you want to be able to move that keyboard instrument to another slot in order to allocate space for the new stringed instrument? This is all just to keep things tidy in ARIA and not performance wise of course.
    You wrote: "...I don't understand at all why you would want to re-order the order of instruments in Aria " - to keep things tidy in ARIA and not have all kinds of instruments loaded without any order.

3. The phasing problem was heard when using "string section instruments". Isn't that several strings playing together?
    You wrote: "This thing of hearing phasing with one instrument loaded - This can't be "phasing," because that's an artifact caused by two identical sound sources being triggered a split second apart" - isn't the string section composed of several instruments playing together but regarded as 1 instrument in ARIA?

Thanks.

Three things I would like to see in future enhancements of GPO:

1.) Please, please make loading of ensembles in the VST plugin version of GPO4 more convenient, e.g. using a "Load Ensemble" button, or a drop-down box, or some other means of doing this. As it is now, it is very awkward to use unless you have two monitor screens on your DAW.

In order to load an ensemble now I have to call up an Explorer window pointing to the "Ensembles" folder, resize the host interface (Cubase Studio 4) so as to make the Explorer window visible, select the file I want from the Explorer window, put Cubase Studio 4 in focus again(!), and drag the file to the Cubase Studio 4 UI - incidentially making the GPO4 UI temporarily dissapear completely in the process. Behold, it works, but it is unpleasantly awkward.

2.) It would be nice be able to disable the automation response for certain functions in GPO4 such as the pan and effects send. It may be done in Cubase Studio 4 by event muting, but it would be faster and more flexible to have this facility in the GPO4 client, too.

3.) In the KS instruments, it would be nice to have a (preferably selectable) "default" instrument, being selected whenever the sequence is stopped. However, I don't know if this is possible.

Besides, I have found a repeatable crash in my configuration. If, by accident, an unassigned continuous controller, like volume (CC7) is sent by accident, GPO4 and Cubase Studio 4 crashes. I have learnt to keep my hands from those controllers (like my BCF2000, which I use for mixing), but only after having lost the project a few times.

Apart from those quirks, which I think is minor when compared to what I have seen in products from other manufacturers (crashes consequently involving reinstallation of everything, for instance - I have been there.), I think that GPO4 is an excellent product demanding all the focus it can get from potential customers.

regards, Nils K

>. after you've loaded an instrument into ARIA and opened up the instrument list again in that slot, have you noticed that the list cuts part of the loaded instrument name in that slot? In my version of GPO4 this happens when the instrument has a long name.<

Yairhol,

All you need to do is click at the extreme right-hand end of the instrument name bar. You will then have a totally unobstructed view of existing loaded sample. You may run into the partial obstruction if the channels 13-16 are at screen edge, in which case, move the Aria UI over a little.
    Richard
    Hong Kong
    ---------------
    Sonar 8PE, EWQLSO, GPO4, M-tron, Omnisphere, & VSM.
    Fantom XR and Radias modules.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardHK View Post
    >. after you've loaded an instrument into ARIA and opened up the instrument list again in that slot, have you noticed that the list cuts part of the loaded instrument name in that slot? In my version of GPO4 this happens when the instrument has a long name.<

Yairhol,

All you need to do is click at the extreme right-hand end of the instrument name bar. You will then have a totally unobstructed view of existing loaded sample. You may run into the partial obstruction if the channels 13-16 are at screen edge, in which case, move the Aria UI over a little.
    Or they can put a little mark next to the sub-categories and instrument name of the loaded instrument and make the ARIA player more user friendly not making us have to click only in certain places or needing to move the UI.

If i correctly remember, ARIA is "skinable", that means that if can load different user interfaces. Would be nice to make some alternative skin for some of this requirements.
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum