• Register
  • Help

Topic: Old libraries redundant or not?

Share/Bookmark

Old libraries redundant or not?

Hi,

With all these fantastic recently produced sample libraries now available, what do people here think of their old \'limited memory\' sample libraries?

Are they now redundant or do they still have their uses?

I hope Chadwick doesn\'t mind me quoting him from another thread, but I think it is relevant: \"There are still samples developed for an old Emulator II which I love to hear. Not because of the pristine 12 bit quality (!) but because the actual personality of the samples shines through the mud.

I\'m sure there are 24 bit samples which have only been released recently which are crap because, at some level, the rest of the recording process was flawed: recording space, , mic\'ing, converters, instrument choice, performance, choice of articulations, sample editing, sampler programming etc.\"

Nicholas

Re: Old libraries redundant or not?

Hi Nicolas
    I just ran across one of those \"old\" libraries. In fact it\'s a plain Akai S1000 library by BOLDERSOUNDS called Eclectic Collection www.boldersounds.com/

It has a monochord, Saz Bazouki, Octave Mandolin, Renaissance Guitar, Polynesian Percussion, Tasmanian Devil Chaser, Harpsichord, Harmonium, and a lightning strike that makes you want to call the fire department, from Wavestation patches to Rainsticks, the Eclectic CD embodies a palette of sounds that is wonderfull.
    I got a demo audio cd with it from Dennis Burns that he recorded straight from the AES/EBU output of the old Akai straight into a DAT, and it sounds really magnificent. After transferring the programs to Giga I felt some of the subtle nuances of the Akai S1000 (filters) were missing in the giga-fied version. But anyway, this is one of those \'limited memory\' sample libraries that still make me feel right every time I load the samples. It\'s amazing what you can do with just 8 MB of RAM then.
    Greetings,

Michiel Post

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Michiel Post:
    Hi Nicolas
    I just ran across one of those \"old\" libraries. In fact it\'s a plain Akai S1000 library by BOLDERSOUNDS called Eclectic Collection www.boldersounds.com/

Greetings,

Michiel Post

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey, Michiel. Thanks for the heads-up on this library. It\'s just what I\'m looking for. The demo sounds damn good.

If you don\'t mind me asking, how is the banjo?

It seems like great value.
    Thanks again.

You may want to consider the Bolder Sounds Eclectic Expanded version which is available as an ISO9660 disc that can be read directly from a pc. See: http://www.boldersounds.com/eclecticx.asp

Nicholas
    p.s. I\'ve also found Bolder Sounds\' Bolder Pianos to be very good.

In case anyone is interested, I contacted Bolder Sounds to find out if they planned a Giga version of Eclectic expanded dennis burns replied:

\"I\'m currently working on a double disc set for Giga called \"The Best of Bolder\". It\'s the cream of the crop material from Eclectic Ex., Granular and Bolder pianos. It will have all the best sample from Eclectic Expanded....it will be probably some what heavyily weighted featuring the sounds from Eclectic Ex..
    When will it be done? I can\'t guarantee.... but I\'m shooting for early December.\"

It looks like great value.

Go Back to forum