• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: iMacs?

Share/Bookmark

iMacs?

Hey all.....

Considering moving over to Mac for my creative endeavors...... had a few questions. Due to the price/performance ratio I'm seriously looking at a 24" iMac. My questions are:

Is the Dual Core 2.66GHz enough CPU power to handle a simpler host (Tracktion or Live probably) and a few instances of Omnisphere, RMX, Trillian, etc? Maybe looking at Ivory in the future as well as a few NI products.....
    Any worth to upgrading to 8GB of RAM?
    Would a firewire or USB2.0 drive be fast enough to handle the instrument libraries or am I better off keeping those on the internal drives?
    Anyone have any experience with the Mackie u.420?

Projects will mostly be software based with occasional audio. Maybe once in a while in a live setting. Machine will also be used for Lightroom and CS4.

Thanks.....

Re: iMacs?

Yes. The new iMacs make wonderful music computers. Highly recommended for price/performance/value ratio.

i've been running on less (black macbook 2.4ghz, 4gb ram), and omnisphere runs within live just fine. the bottleneck would be patches that have a large amount of samples (500mb+)...can't run more than a few of those at a time, but otherwise its great.

So for large patches like that is the limiting factor the hard drive speed or RAM?

Suppose you wanted to run several patches in live mode, is it the faster drives that make it possible or 8 GB of RAM?

And in hindsight thing more about Presonus Firebox or Firestudio rather than the Mackie u.420. Now if the church would just buy a Mackie 1640 w/ the Firewire card.......

I've been using an iMac for about 2 years now. I can run 24+ tracks, depending on what I've got loaded. This includes Garritan GPO, Strad, etc. EWQL Symphonic Orchestra Gold, Choir and Stormdrum, OmniSphere, RMX, Arturia synths, Native Instruments synths, etc.

I wish I had a model that I could upgrade to 8 gig of RAM. *sigh* I've had 8 OmniSphere instruments opened with no hiccups, I could have loaded more I think.

I use my firewire 800 port for my Glyph hard drives and my firewire 400 port for my MOTU MK2 828 audio interface. I do have several USB 2 drives (all 7200 RPM) on a hub. One streams Kirk Hunter diamond with a few other sample libraries, the others are used for backups, etc. I've never had a hiccup.

I use both Logic 9 and Digital Performer 5.12.

If you upgrade your iMac to 8 gig, do so at OtherWorldComputing. No need spending the extra $$ with Apple.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Quote Originally Posted by I Fly C152s View Post
    So for large patches like that is the limiting factor the hard drive speed or RAM?

Suppose you wanted to run several patches in live mode, is it the faster drives that make it possible or 8 GB of RAM?

And in hindsight thing more about Presonus Firebox or Firestudio rather than the Mackie u.420. Now if the church would just buy a Mackie 1640 w/ the Firewire card.......
    You need both fast drives (7200 RPM will be fine) and on an iMac, the full 8 gig or RAM to maximize the potential of the box.

I think the new iMacs only have 1 Firewire port I would go with harddrives on the firewire and a USB audio card. Just food for thought...

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Kevin,

Huge help, thanks. Sounds like I'm heading in the right direction.....

This is all very helpful to me also. Thanks for all the info everyone! Kevin, you wrote, "I think the new iMacs only have 1 Firewire port I would go with harddrives on the firewire and a USB audio card."

I'm not understanding what a USB audio card is and what it would do for me with this Mac setup (or what I could not do without it). Thanks if you have the time.

Re: "USB audio card"
    --Personally, I cannot recommend USB audio 'interfaces' (they aren't "cards");they are the slowest of the digital audio interfaces, and there are better ways to connect DAI's these days. ...........playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Quote Originally Posted by Thisman View Post
    This is all very helpful to me also. Thanks for all the info everyone! Kevin, you wrote, "I think the new iMacs only have 1 Firewire port I would go with harddrives on the firewire and a USB audio card."

I'm not understanding what a USB audio card is and what it would do for me with this Mac setup (or what I could not do without it). Thanks if you have the time.
    Basically with any computer audio setup you'd want to use an outboard audio interface to give you some higher quality I/O options. Go to any major music equipment retailer's website (I personally like Sweetwater to shop on, maybe not buy from) and you'll see plenty of options for both USB and FW interfaces. Larger desktop machines can also accomodate PCI interfaces but obviously the iMax can't accommodate those.
    Quote Originally Posted by playz123 View Post
    Re: "USB audio card"
    --Personally, I cannot recommend USB audio 'interfaces' (they aren't "cards");they are the slowest of the digital audio interfaces, and there are better ways to connect DAI's these days. ...........playz
    Would a FW drive and interface play well together on a FW hub?

Go Back to forum