• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Synth Sounds?

Share/Bookmark

Synth Sounds?

Can anyone recommend a decent library for synthesized sounds? I just want a few nice pads and leads (more kind of \'laid back\' sounds would be best - a la Enigma, but I\'m open to any suggestions).

Thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to answer.

Re: Synth Sounds?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:
    Can anyone recommend a decent library for synthesized sounds? I just want a few nice pads and leads (more kind of \'laid back\' sounds would be best - a la Enigma, but I\'m open to any suggestions).

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Z6,

When it comes to synth sounds, I usually extensively sample the \'best\' sounds from my synths before selling them. I have found this approach to be far better than using the few sample CDs/CD-ROMs of synth sounds that I have. Compared with sampling acoustic instruments, I find sampling synths much easier and quicker.

The are some synths, however, that don\'t seem to sample well; perhaps it\'s a bit like some people aren\'t photogenic?!

Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Z6:

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

some pretty good pads can be found at ILIO \"Digital Boy Modern Synths\" http://www.ilio.com

I used these pads on some demos for a friend of mine
    http://mp3.com/samuell (\"Papa\" and \"Love Sweet Love\")

-david abraham

PatS

Can anyone recommend some decent sci-fi samples? For fun, I\'m getting ready to score a \"War of the Worlds\"-style radio show for a friend, but I don\'t have any of those retro sci-fi sounds. I have a JV-1080, but I don\'t have time to program it, and I\'d prefer to trigger the sounds from GigaStudio.

Thanks!

Pat

\"I usually extensively sample the \'best\' sounds from my synths before selling them.\"

PLEASE or PLEASE someone confirm this is legal!! If it is, I\'ve got a new business to start up!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Munsie:
    \"I usually extensively sample the \'best\' sounds from my synths before selling them.\"

PLEASE or PLEASE someone confirm this is legal!! If it is, I\'ve got a new business to start up!
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why shouldn\'t it be legal? I programmed the synths myself. Is sampling a Steinway piano, a Fender Rhodes electric piano, a Hammond B3, a Fender Strat guitar, a Vincent Bach trumpet, etc... illegal? I expect not! Did Bigga Giggas ask for permission to sample the synths/instruments on their Memory Moog, JX-3P, ARP Solina, DX REX, Worra\'s Prophet, Boris Hohner D6, and Sune\'s L100 products?

Nicholas

I expect that sampling may be a grey area legally, and that for the most part the creators of musical instruments have ignored it - a lawsuit would be way too much bother since the industy is small and the sampled instruments are specialized purpose, certainly they can\'t replace the originals.

But imagine that someone perfects the piano action for a keyboard controller - not that far fetched I think. Then imagine someone automates the physical process of recording piano note samples, and proceeds to record a perfectly tuned and voiced Steinway in 64 layers. Imagine that GigaStudio version 5.0 allows 128 layers and a 100 GB file size. Further, picture that you can use a plugin that reproduces the piano overtones that are inherently missing from a sampled instrument. Perhaps the piano sample maker also sells 3 continuous controller pedals for sustain, soft, sostenuto, and has in the sampled instrument the proper samples/physical modelling to reproduce the effects. Maybe the original designers at Steinway had to make a slight sacrifice to a small range of the piano in order to achieve an amazing overall tone - perhaps it could be easy to achieve the impossible balance they sought by processing the samples in this range.

Granted I can\'t picture any way to get the same distribution and unaffected sound from a few stategically placed speakers as from a huge piano, but that\'s really the only insurmountable drawback I see. On the plus side, most people are aware that piano samples can be played back via headphones, or at low volume through speakers.

In any event, such a sampled piano isn\'t really an impossibility. The interesting thing is that I think it could be done today if there was a dedicated crew and enough money in it to go to all the work. In a few years pieces will probably just fall into place for unrelated reasons, and make it comparitively easy to do. So will Steinway mind that there is a viable alternative (perhaps in some ways even an improvement) for their finest concert grand, primarily created just by sampling (stealing?) their work? It\'s not a problem yet, but I can picture that some very good work in the future could end up with legal problems. I think there would be solutions to such problems, but I don\'t think manufacturers will want to remain hands-off forever.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Jeff Hurchalla:
    I expect that sampling may be a grey area legally, and that for the most part the creators of musical instruments have ignored it - a lawsuit would be way too much bother since the industy is small and the sampled instruments are specialized purpose, certainly they can\'t replace the originals.

But imagine that someone perfects the piano action for a keyboard controller - not that far fetched I think. Then imagine someone automates the physical process of recording piano note samples, and proceeds to record a perfectly tuned and voiced Steinway in 64 layers. Imagine that GigaStudio version 5.0 allows 128 layers and a 100 GB file size. Further, picture that you can use a plugin that reproduces the piano overtones that are inherently missing from a sampled instrument. Perhaps the piano sample maker also sells 3 continuous controller pedals for sustain, soft, sostenuto, and has in the sampled instrument the proper samples/physical modelling to reproduce the effects. Maybe the original designers at Steinway had to make a slight sacrifice to a small range of the piano in order to achieve an amazing overall tone - perhaps it could be easy to achieve the impossible balance they sought by processing the samples in this range.

Granted I can\'t picture any way to get the same distribution and unaffected sound from a few stategically placed speakers as from a huge piano, but that\'s really the only insurmountable drawback I see. On the plus side, most people are aware that piano samples can be played back via headphones, or at low volume through speakers.

In any event, such a sampled piano isn\'t really an impossibility. The interesting thing is that I think it could be done today if there was a dedicated crew and enough money in it to go to all the work. In a few years pieces will probably just fall into place for unrelated reasons, and make it comparitively easy to do. So will Steinway mind that there is a viable alternative (perhaps in some ways even an improvement) for their finest concert grand, primarily created just by sampling (stealing?) their work? It\'s not a problem yet, but I can picture that some very good work in the future could end up with legal problems. I think there would be solutions to such problems, but I don\'t think manufacturers will want to remain hands-off forever.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Jeff,

So are you effectively accusing most professional developers of sampled pianos of stealing?

Nicholas

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nicholash:
    Hi Jeff,

So are you effectively accusing most professional developers of sampled pianos of stealing?

Nicholas

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Jeff makes a very cogent point. \'Perfect\' Pianos (or, as Jeff points out, even improved instruments) are just around the corner. There is no doubt in my mind that that\'s what we\'re doing.

But the piano is very mechanical. Anyone can \'play\' the piano for a sampling session (more or less). But take Nick\'s recent post. He\'s dancing around, jumping for joy. He\'s caught someone \'stealing\' his work.

For my money his \'Rare Instruments\' is the best library I\'ve ever heard.

But he\'s not only stolen the \'sounds\' he\'s stolen the players (stealing souls?). Do these guys really know what they\'re doing when they plonk themselves down for a session? Will they make the connection when the work dries up in a couple of years when they stop getting calls?

There are a lot of real moral issues here. The whole \'Giga\' paradigm has put a lot of livelihoods in real peril. Sure, a real Bagpipe player might be better than the samples (but maybe not), but who can be arsed when you can pop in a CD?

I\'m glad that Nick has found a way to protect his work, but does a few days sampling followed by a few weeks programming deserve this kind of protection? What about thirty years of practise? I believe that the people who are sampled should (no, must!) be given royalties on every single CD sold.

It would be nice to see some of the developers here get involved in appropriate re-embursement before they go singing and dancing all over the place when they catch a \'pirate\'. I\'m allowed to use Nick\'s work because I paid for it, but I\'d feel a whole lot better if I knew that some of it was going to the person who actually played the instrument.

It seems analogous to the British Empire raping countries for their natural wealth because those countries don\'t know that certain commodities even have value (and who can turn down a paying session?).

Anyway please guys (developers) get your hands into your pockets before you start dancing, because you\'re dancing on the grave of raw musical currency (and it makes me barf, to boot).

But back to the point: Any good synth sounds out there? (thanks for the posts so far - especially the demos - very nice indeed.)

Jeff makes a very cogent point. \'Perfect\' Pianos (or, as Jeff points out, even improved instruments) are just around the corner. There is no doubt in my mind that that\'s what we\'re doing.

But the piano is very mechanical. Anyone can \'play\' the piano for a sampling session (more or less). But take Nick\'s recent post. He\'s dancing around, jumping for joy. He\'s caught someone \'stealing\' his work.

For my money his \'Rare Instruments\' is the best library I\'ve ever heard.

But he\'s not only stolen the \'sounds\' he\'s stolen the players (stealing souls?). Do these guys really know what they\'re doing when they plonk themselves down for a session? Will they make the connection when the work dries up in a couple of years when they stop getting calls?

There are a lot of real moral issues here. The whole \'Giga\' paradigm has put a lot of livelihoods in real peril. Sure, a real Bagpipe player might be better than the samples (but maybe not), but who can be arsed when you can pop in a CD?

I\'m glad that Nick has found a way to protect his work, but does a few days sampling followed by a few weeks programming deserve this kind of protection? What about thirty years of practise? I believe that the people who are sampled should (no, must!) be given royalties on every single CD sold.

It would be nice to see some of the developers here get involved in appropriate re-embursement before they go singing and dancing all over the place when they catch a \'pirate\'. I\'m allowed to use Nick\'s work because I paid for it, but I\'d feel a whole lot better if I knew that some of it was going to the person who actually played the instrument.

It seems analogous to the British Empire raping countries for their natural wealth because those countries don\'t know that certain commodities even have value (and who can turn down a paying session?).

Anyway please guys (developers) get your hands into your pockets before you start dancing, because you\'re dancing on the grave of raw musical currency (and it makes me barf, to boot).

But back to the point: Any good synth sounds out there? (thanks for the posts so far - especially the demos - very nice indeed.)

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Very interesting post Z6!

Maybe Nick Phoenix will say a few words on the subject. (I\'m sure he reads these threads).

Nicholas

Go Back to forum