• Register
  • Help

Topic: Who Labored Today?

Orcas Island

Who Labored Today?

Today we celebrated Labor Day.
    The holiday originated in Canada out of labor disputes ("Nine-Hour Movement") first in Hamilton, then in Toronto, Canada in the 1870s, which resulted in a Trade Union Act which legalized and protected union activity in 1872 in Canada.

The first Labor Day in the United States was celebrated on September 5, 1882 in New York City. In the aftermath of the deaths of a number of workers at the hands of the US military and US Marshals during the 1894 Pullman Strike, President Grover Cleveland put reconciliation with Labor as a top political priority. Fearing further conflict, legislation making Labor Day a national holiday was rushed through Congress unanimously...
    I never knew it was Canada that was responsible for Labor Day.

To many it's just a holiday that marks the start of a school year and end of summertime.

Who labored today? I sure did.

Re: Who Labored Today?

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    snippy snip... Who labored today? I sure did.
    Yeah, me too

I hope that it was still a good day

Take Care Mr. G!

Does BBQ'ing over a smoky grill count as labor? If so, I labored today!
    I hope everyone who had the day off, spent it with friends and family and enjoyed the day!
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

I'm laboring right now as we speak. It's a nice kind of labor, though. To be clear, my one and only patient is safely sleeping with his happy heart a-beatin'. (Got to wake him up for mid-night vital signs.)

But. . . I'm laboring. Actually, in healthcare, much of the labor is paperwork, paperwork, paperwork! More precisely, given the technology of the 21st Century, it's computerized charting, computerized charting, computerized chart!

And every so often, when I'm charting on my patients (on the computer), I check in on bulletin boards like this one and answer questions like, "Who Labored Today?"

(Back to charting. . . . ugh! )
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

Happy Labor Day to everyone!

I slept well, ate well, and played cello (hopefully well). Music is certainly a labor of love.
    Maybe I should have come up with a more original username.
    Finale 2009b, GPO4, JABB KP2, Gofriller KP2
    Windows 7 Ultimate RC (64-bit)
    Core 2 Duo E8500 3.16Ghz, 4GB 1066 RAM

California Redwoods

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post

Who labored today? I sure did.
    Well, I sure did, mostly laboring to find out why my Adobe reader would not print some score. Still don't know why, except that the files all allow printing.

My eyelids worked over time and I slep most of the day. I really enjoyed the opportunity to give my eyelids a good workout. lol, and not it is 6:51 AM and they are in need of a good workout again.

I turst that everyone had a blessed day, ate well and will sleep good.
    Samantha Penigar

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

I did homework ALLLLLLLLL day.

It was horrifying.

And school started in July, by the way. Yup.
    string quartet (ˈstriŋ kwȯr-ˈtet) n. a good violinist, a bad violinist, an ex-violinist, and someone who hates violinists, all getting together to complain about composers

Go Back to forum