• Register
  • Help

Topic: Harp Issues with GPO

Share/Bookmark

Unhappy Harp Issues with GPO

I am using GPO (3+) with Sibelius5 - and am having some playback issues with Harp (KS). Presently, I'm in the middle of a major work for flute and harp. Here's the situation.

Ordinarily, when a note is plucked on the harp, it continues to resonate for a period of time far longer than the indicated duration. When I began this piece, this residual resonance occurred as I expected. Suddenly, however, all harp notes are coming out staccato - only for the indicated duration. Fast moving passages have all the wrong resonance - sounding like a dry guitar and not a harp at all.

Curiously, the first part of the piece is "normal" - but the later part is not. I've tried cutting all the "offending" measures and rewriting them after the last known "good" place - but it has no effect.

Are there some settings that need to be altered? I've noticed that the harp that comes with "Sibelius Sounds" goes to the opposite (literally, diametrical) extreme - there, the instrument is all a blur of sound with no ability to dampen anything - and, as such, is useless.

When (if) posting an answer, please also forward your replies to me directly at music613@cyburban.com.

Thanks.

Re: Harp Issues with GPO

is the sustain pedal being activated then deactivated? that might be the problem.
    -Keith Fuller

http://keithfullermusic.com
    ---
    iMac Quad i7 * MacBook Pro * Logic Studio 9 * WD 320GB & 1TB Externals@7,200RPM * Presonus Firebox * M-Audio Axiom 25 & Keystation 61 * Rode NT1-A * Epiphone Hollowbody * Fender Amp * KRK Rokit 8's

Please explain.

I believe the sustain pedal controls damping. If the value is between 0 and 64, the harp will resonate only for the indicated duration because the notes are being damped. If the value is between 65 and 127 the notes will resonate freely. Or maybe it's the other way around.

Hi, Music613 - Henry's correct that the Harp responds to the damper pedal, MIDI CC 64 (or 68 in notation programs). And he was right when he said "maybe it's the other way around." A pedal On event (value of 65 to 127) engages the damper so that notes will sound only as long as their notated duration. A pedal off event returns the Harp to normal playback, with the strings ringing out the way you want.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by music613 View Post
    ... I've noticed that the harp that comes with "Sibelius Sounds" goes to the opposite (literally, diametrical) extreme - there, the instrument is all a blur of sound with no ability to dampen anything ...
    This definitely sounds like you have a Pedal-On event that is not followed by a Pedal-Off event. If as Randy says, in GPO 3 Pedal-On dampens the harp then I suspect that in Sibelius Sounds it's the opposite and it un-dampens it.

Try inserting a brief Pedal Mark in your score at the very end of the bar BEFORE the problem first occurs. Alternately, if you can view/edit MIDI data in Sibelius, as I can in Finale, then you should be able to find the orphaned Pedal-On event and remove it. Hope this helps.

"... If as Randy says, in GPO 3 Pedal-On dampens the harp then I suspect that in Sibelius Sounds it's the opposite and it un-dampens it..."

Really, Alan--? That would mean you always have to have the pedal engaged to get a normal sound. - ? - But a down pedal Definitely dampens the Harp in regular GPO - the previous version and in GPO4.

Randy

Randy: Fair comment, there is no logical reason why C#64 default action should be reversed for the Garritan Harp (Lite) sample by the player.

Music123: Are you using a different player when you use Sibelius Sounds or do you load them into the GPO 3+ player? One possibility is that the action of C#64 has been changed from the 'normal action' required for Harp (lite) to 'sustain' when you are using Sibelius Sounds.
    Can't really suggest anything further, sorry

Alan T

Go Back to forum