• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: NOOB seeks answer about vibrato in GPO4?

Share/Bookmark

NOOB seeks answer about vibrato in GPO4?

I am considering which orchestral sample library to buy and have not been able to find out if all or some [which?] of the GPO4 Vi's have a vibrato that cannot be turned off, if anyone knows about this I would greatly appreciate hearing from you. Thanks to all for the help.
    In case someone wants to know why, it is because I use an Akai Wind Controller to play the instrument samples and I prefer to add the vibrato as I play using my own techniques.
    I did look at some other forum members posts but that specific info about which instruments have automatic vibrato was not entirely present.

Re: NOOB seeks answer about vibrato in GPO4?

Hi David57,
    I only have GPO so I don't know about the other libraries but the solo strings in GPO have no vibrato. I'm not positive but I think that's the way they like to set up all their sample libraries so that the user has more control.

H.
    Music Is A Necessity!

The solo strings in GPO4 do have vibrato. There is no control over the vibrato. Most of the brass doesn't have vibrato. The clarinets, bassoons and the flute nv don't have vibrato. Most of these instruments without vibrato are programmed to add your own. The rest of the woodwinds do have vibrato.

Jim

Thank you both for your help, what a pity about GPO4's palsy
    SOL.Wallander has user control and I assume the far too pricey vienna samples, any other options you all might know of? I just installed Cubase 5 but still haven't gotten so far that I can tell if the HALion samples are palsied or not.

An important part of Haydn's response is:

"...Most of these instruments without vibrato are programmed to add your own..."

So, for instance, when you use the "Flute NV" instrument (no-vibrato)---The user Does have complete control over its vibrato via Aftertouch and CC17 for the vibrato speed. This makes the NV instruments very expressive. Maybe the name "NV" is confusing, but it's to differentiate them from the instruments marked "Vib" which have vibrato performed in the sample-in the recording, and of course those instruments don't respond to Aftertouch control.

The point is, you DO have vibrato control on many of the GPO instruments in the woods and brass family.

Hideout - I'm glad Haydn corrected your comment that the GPO strings don't have vibrato--I wonder why you thought that? They have very prominent vibrato, and is what David wishes was controllable.

Randy

Oops! I stand corrected! They do indeed have vibrato. I even checked my old version of GPO and it too has vibrato. Must be getting soft in the noggin 'cause I was sure they did not have vibrato.
    Sorry, David and thanks Randy.
    Music Is A Necessity!

There's a difference between vibrato samples (vibrato recorded into the samples) and vibrato-controllable instruments.

No library that I know of offers vibrato-controlled solo strings. Even libraries costing thousands do not have this ability. The only libraries that offered this AFAIK were the Strad and the Gofriller (both discontinued).

GPO offers vibrato control in many of the brass and woodwind instruments but not solo strings yet.

We are planning an upgrade to GPO4 which will offer vibrato-controlled solo strings.

Best,

Gary

Sokay, Hideout! - And now if David would realize that there are a lot of instruments he could control the vibrato on with his wind controller. It's a somewhat obscure thing that not all GPO owners realize - as it says in the manual "hidden vibrato control"--why it wasn't pointed out more clearly is something I don't quite get.

Randy

What luck to stumble upon a forum with not only informative members, but Mr. Garritan Himself-THANKS, you have all helped in your own way and I am leaning towards the promise[?] no, hope of some solo Strings in the future so getting GPO4 is so far the best hope.
    I must edit this as the WInd controller sends CC2 to control volume, no aftertouch cc, and the vibrato can be added with breath or shaking, or biting on the plastic mouthpiece, will this controller work on GPO4 nv instruments?

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Sokay, Hideout! - And now if David would realize that there are a lot of instruments he could control the vibrato on with his wind controller. It's a somewhat obscure thing that not all GPO owners realize - as it says in the manual "hidden vibrato control"--why it wasn't pointed out more clearly is something I don't quite get.

Randy
    I think I just figured why I thought there was no vibrato. I've been experimenting with mostly the brass and woodwind stuff and was always choosing the NV samples - so much so that I began to think that all the instruments were like that.
    Music Is A Necessity!

Go Back to forum