• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Finding sounds in Omnisphere...

Share/Bookmark

Finding sounds in Omnisphere...

Hello everybody...
    After using Omni from the first day it appeared I am still very impressed by its quality and I use it nearly as my only synth now. Still there are two things that really irritate me and make my composing life quite hard:

1. lately I was looking for a main piano-like "broken-chord-song-starter" that would fit to the already arranged percussion. So I was looking for something like a piano with some frills and fringes in the back, perhaps something airy or even eerie. What I found in half an hour of searching is
    - piano waaay in the back of the hall, piano on fire, piano ebowed, piano plucked, piano broken, piano with grammophone sound, piano from mars, piano from venus....you name it! Why the hell not JUST A PIANO? I would have layered it myself in multi mode with something to make it stranger, more hollow, more eerie or more fairy. but PLEEASE , why not just add a simple , aaaah, ..Piano?
    I still haven´t found a starting sound for that song and it is the same with every song i start. I already asked in this forum for some more simple starter sounds to have a basis for sound-sculpting. Why don´t I mix it with other synths or sample library? Because I do not like to create two tracks, have to load two synths and make notes about which sound I used in them if I could have it all in Omni. I want omni and its really outstanding sound quality to be my main "beast". But there is such a gap between (only very few) sounds that make me yawn because they are soooo traditional and those zillions of outer space noises that i will never ever use because I am NO film composer and need more sounds that a) are in tune with all other acoustic instruments I play and b) start to give a sound when I press a key and not 12 Seconds later.

My second wish/complaint is directly related to the first topic: the file system.
    I am no american and probably do not think like one. Neither do I think like a sound designer. I think like a composer, or wanna-be composer If you like.
    When I search for a sound for my piece, I do absolutely NOT care about whether its psychoacoustic or hybrid-organic or poly synth because all this doesn´t give me any clue I need. Instead I would have searched for the attribute "Short attack" together with "piano-release" and "tuned" or perhaps "short attack" together with "short release" and "atonal" if I was looking for a percussive sound adding to the drums.
    Please do not get me wrong : I do not complain here because I would not like Omni, just the contrary: I fell in love with its superb sound-quality, its 3d-sound image and its finesse . I just cannot work with it properly because I absolutly get lost while searching for sounds. Whenever I try to think like someone from spectrasonics when searching a sound my search gives 3 hits with nothing I need.
    And pleeease do not tell me, i should use another synth for my needs: I can SMELL that everything I need is in there. ;-)

And now the good news: whenever I was searching for a fitting pad or string sound, search lasted 3 seconds and everyone was pleased and making big eyes.. And nothing brings me faster near the angels than "English combined choir". I think I would have bought Omni only for this patch...

P.S: I hope I did not offend anyone by not just humming the omni-present "Omnisphere-is perfect" hymn. As I said : I am no american (german) and way of discussion and general tone in german forums is somehow different than in american forums: more critic and a tad! more aggressive. I hope you do not mind.

Re: Finding sounds in Omnisphere...

Quote Originally Posted by Sid Francis View Post
    ...Why the hell not JUST A PIANO?...
    in all fairness, omnisphere is billed primarily as a synth...and what you are asking for is not really what it was designed for (or is marketed as). most of the more 'realistic' sounds are included as a foundation for sound design patches (or in some cases are spectrasonics legacy products that have been folded into the content), so are in a way icing on the cake. from your description of what you want and need, it simply seems that omnisphere isn't the product you want and need.

your library suggestions are fine, and if you get used to tagging patches you can easily build your own searchable go-to sound sets.

Hello scientist..

If spectrasonics were able to add a piano washed in hall reverb it would have been easily possible I think to get a bit closer to the piano and also make a quite dry recording?. My actual main piano is 20M!B and works fine, an old Bösendorfer emu sample. It would have been no effort to add something similar, without distorting the marketing concept of Omnisphere to the ground.

The answer you will get from Spectrasonics is IMO what scientist wrote. Another person would ask why not sample a drum kit and why not sample a bass guitar and so on.
    The main point of Omnisphere is "new sounds".
    Don't get me wrong, I would have loved Omni to be my one and only synth/sample player etc. but I'm afraid that's not what's going to happen. If you want a dry piano sound you must use another VSTi.
    No one said life was easy.
    Q6600 Quad Core 2.4GHz, 4GB RAM, E-MU 1616m audio interface, Cubase Studio 4.1.2, Windows XP Pro sp.3, Omnisphere, Atmosphere, Addictive Drums, Amplitube 2 + Jimi Hendrix, Monstrous

Hello scientist..

If spectrasonics were able to add a piano washed in hall reverb it would have been easily possible I think to get a bit closer to the piano and also make a quite dry recording?. My actual main piano is 20M!B and works fine, an old Bösendorfer emu sample. It would have been no effort to add something similar, without distorting the marketing concept of Omnisphere to the ground.
    sure, its 'possible'. but if you read omnisphere's sales literature, you'll see that it does exactly what it 'says on the tin'. e.g. it would be unfair of me to be angry at moog because my voyager doesn't do wavetable synthesis. is it possible that spectrasonics will add a normal piano in the future? sure, but for now you have to look somewhere else. there are some great, easy to use pianos out there already...

Get a copy of Ivory and just call it good.....

"....And pleeease do not tell me, i should use another synth for my needs: I can SMELL that everything I need is in there. ;-)..."

I was serious about that!

And please don´t tell me to buy a piano vsti, I know there are zillions, i work in Europes biggest music store.
    I don´t need a piano... I am looking for some prests/soundsources/waveforms that just lean! a tad! more to the conservative side. I said "a tad" so please don´t shout "electric piano" from the back row... My point is: I don´t even think that there are not enough of the right waveforms already in there, but I feel absolutely lost when trying to find/identify/use them because I am washed away by zillions of avantgarde sounds. Perhaps if some Sound Designers just would produce a bank of more, lets say "usable" sounds with what is already there? When I load a preset, most of them are too complex OR too conservative!! (the attack ones). When I start to design one myself, it ends up beeing too boring because I have not understood enough of the engine to work with it like a pro. My leisure time is very very short and I will not spend an evening creating just one half-fitting sound.
    What are your experiences? Am I alone with my problem? Tell me for real: do you open an instance of omni in your project when you are looking for a certain sound, and, after 15 minutes of search you find what you need? When I listen to the pieces of Hans-Jörg Scheffler HE obviously does! Do you?
    Just tell me ... I am just curious

@ I Fly C152s:
    What tells me that you read my topic very thouroughly?

I would also love a normal dry piano in Omnisphere.

Both because it´s practical to have the sounds in the same VST and because then I could use all the nice effects and other sound mangling possibilities in Omni with that piano.

If it would be possible to import samples to Omni, like it´s possible with Camel Audio´s Alchemy, then third parties could complement the stuff Spectrasonics is doing by focusing on for example pianos. Things that Spectrasonics never gets around to doing could actually happen and everyone would be happy.

do you open an instance of omni in your project when you are looking for a certain sound, and, after 15 minutes of search you find what you need? When I listen to the pieces of Hans-Jörg Scheffler HE obviously does! Do you?

within the spectrum of what omnisphere offers, i think its pretty easy to find what i'm looking for. but i bought it for specific things that i know it provides. in the grand scheme of things, omnisphere's browsing system is pretty advanced. another that might interest you is NI's kore. i don't use it, but apparently it uses a similar browser system that makes it easy to look things up in many different ways...'mood', 'speed', 'piano-ish', etc.

Go Back to forum