• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: 09/09/09 9:09:09

Share/Bookmark

09/09/09 9:09:09

A few minutes ago, it was the 9th second of the 9th minute of the 9th hour of the 9th day of the 9th month of the 9th year of the century. Reverse it and you get the same day - in the Americans and the rest of the world.

I felt a strange sensation at that moment. Did anyone else experience it at that moment?

Gary

Re: 09/09/09 9:09:09

technically, the 8th year of the century

("2001: a space odyssey" was named so because the whole "year 2000" thing was a particular pet peeve of the author Arthur C. Clarke)

next year is the 9th year of the century. it just doesn't LOOK as good when you write it all down...

I read an interesting article on this yesterday, actually, about how other cultures may interpret the significance of this date. It looked at the difference between the significance of the number 9 between Chinese and Japanese culture. If I remember correctly, 9 symbolizes long-life in a Chinese context, but suffering in a Japanese context. (I believe it symbolizes suffering in Japan because 9 and the word suffering are homophones)

Anyways, at 9:09:09 on 9/9/09, I was listening to my Data Structures and Discrete Math II instructor go over some homework, so I can hardly say I felt anything "special."
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

Well, gee golly whiz, I slept right through the event!

Richard

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan View Post
    A few minutes ago, it was the 9th second of the 9th minute of the 9th hour of the 9th day of the 9th month of the 9th year of the century. Reverse it and you get the same day - in the Americans and the rest of the world.

I felt a strange sensation at that moment. Did anyone else experience it at that moment?

If I remember correctly, I think I produced a rather loud and long BELCH at precisely that time.

(By the way, I am practicing "Impulse Control". I WAS going to say that I produced a rather loud and long FART at that time, but thought it best to keep that thought to myself.)

Very cool moment in time!
    Music and humor are healthy for the soul.

At that precise time I was just entering a job fair where I walked around for an hour and talked to a number of people that wanted to hire me at less than half of what I am worth. So that time was the beginning of a wasted effort.

Ron
    "Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one." Albert Einstein

http://composersforum.ning.com/profile/RonaldFerguson

I prefer to put only two 9's together .... 99!
    Styxx

So did this occur twice today. Once in the AM and Once in the PM?
    Samantha Penigar
    http://www.myspace.com/samanthapenigar

http://www.northernsounds.com/forum/...p?userid=13306

Dream it! Then Do it! Good things come to those who work while they wait. [COLOR=purple]Persistence[/COLO

At that moment I was staring at a SQL query deciding whether to use an inner join or a correlated sub-query. How unmusical!

Go Back to forum