• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 6 in E Major & 2 Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor - Live

Share/Bookmark

Smile Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 6 in E Major & 2 Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor - Live

Hey, I recorded Invention No. 6 last week and Invention No. 9 today. On no. 6, I used the GPO harpsichord's lute (buff) stop.

2 Part Invention No. 6 in E Major BWV 777: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bFvlkfdHPnk

2 Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor BWV 780: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Krn50dUhg9E

Enjoy.

Sheridan,

Re: Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 6 in E Major & 2 Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor - Liv

Nicely played, Sheridan!

My best,

David
    -----
    David Sosnowski
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Re: Bach: 2 Part Invention No. 6 in E Major & 2 Part Invention No. 9 in F Minor - Liv

You play well. Nice sense of rhythm, but a bit staccato for my taste (the 1/32nds in nr 6). Isn't it ironic how the instrument builders were trying to get rid of the release sounds and now you try to recreate them?

Good, great and well performed. I liked the number 9 the most. I closely looked at your piano technique and to my surprise your hand- and finger techniques (bowed fingers, bit bent wrists, loose elbows...) are exactly as my way of playing (in the past).

Raymond

Very good performance, Mister Sheridan.

I'm not crazy about the harpsi sound in the sixth but, overall, they both sounded real good.

Thanks for posting.

Regards,
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

@FLWrd Thanks. And I love the release sound. It's part of what makes a harpsichord sound like a harpsichord. I think digital musicians will always have a different idea of "perfection."

@Raymond62 Thanks. My technique varies depending on the action of the keyboard instrument I'm playing. On the keyboard I'm using in the videos (an old Clavinova) I tend to curl my fingers more and hit the keys not right on the tips of the fingers but not completely flat either. When I play on my grand piano however, I straighten out my fingers more and usually play more on the pad of my fingers. This reduces friction and sends me back more sensory information which helps me control dynamics. It also tends to help me play fast passages in a more detached style which is what I like for baroque pieces played on piano.

Oh, I forgot to mention that Invention No 9 doesn't feature the EXS release samples because most of my EXS samples just vanished off my hard drive last week. It was strange but I fixed it last Monday by reinstalling the sounds Logic Pro comes with so the next Inventions will feature it.

Go Back to forum