• Register
  • Help

Topic: Digidesign Velvet alternative?

Share/Bookmark

Digidesign Velvet alternative?

It's been a while, but every time I used Digidesign Velvet I was blown away by how well it sounded and how well it glued tracks together. I don't want to be necessarily married to PT going forward. Has another awesome EP VST/AU emerged in the last 18 months or so?
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Re: Digidesign Velvet alternative?

Hi David,

Slightly OT but what version of PT do you use? I was wondering if you have upgraded to 8.0.1?

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253348

I have not yet for fear of the typical issues. I have PT finally stable and I would hate to update only to have all the issues back.

My best,
    Bela D Media | www.BelaDMedia.com

Quote Originally Posted by Bela D Media View Post
    Hi David,

Slightly OT but what version of PT do you use? I was wondering if you have upgraded to 8.0.1?

http://duc.digidesign.com/showthread.php?t=253348

I have not yet for fear of the typical issues. I have PT finally stable and I would hate to update only to have all the issues back.

My best,
    Hey Frank!

I haven't been doing much at all with DAWs in the last 24 months, the last version I used was PT 7.4 and it was for just two simple projects.

I'm still trying to get up to speed on the state of the state
    -david abraham
    Facebook

Got ya! Well one of us has to dive in. You go first

ha! ok I shall
    -david abraham
    Facebook

FWIW, I don't think 8.01 is yet as stable as 7.4. Using VIs I often have to go down to one processor to get better reliability and use a bigger engine size. And I'm having Pro Tools conk out every now and then whilst using Melodyne or Kontakt and definitely Kore.

On the positive side though, the new Midi Editor in Pro Tools is absolutely worth the above hassle.

Richard P
    OSX 10.5.6, Pro Tools 8.01, 003,

Very off topic, but.... 'I don't want to be necessarily married to PT going forward"
    What does the phrase 'going forward' mean? I've heard it a lot on TV the last couple of months, in this context it seems to mean something to do with upgrading but that doesn't make sense in other contexts I've heard it.

Like a moth driven to a flame, I know I will get burned but I always feel more at home with PT. I guess it is because I made my bones way back in a post studio and the owner was a PT enforcer. He had the, "You're not a pro unless you have Pro Tools" attitude. I assume that was somewhat true 10 -15 years ago.

I know I can do so much more with VEGAS and with less headache. I have that installed and updated but, I hang on with PT as well. Keep in mind, I am not a midi composer so, I don't need what you guys do.

FYI: I updated to PT 8.0.1 and there are no real issues to report as of yet.

Go Back to forum