• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: REVENGE IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!

Share/Bookmark

REVENGE IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!

After only 2 months of watermark monitoring, I have NAILED a high profile composer pirate. We will be settling for a very LARGE sum of money. Apparently, he got my sounds at a SWAP MEET! Look out little piggies, the big bad wolf is on the prowl.

Re: REVENGE IS MINE!!!!!!!!!!

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    After only 2 months of watermark monitoring, I have NAILED a high profile composer pirate. We will be settling for a very LARGE sum of money. Apparently, he got my sounds at a SWAP MEET! Look out little piggies, the big bad wolf is on the prowl.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Congrats Nick.

D

[This message has been edited by dandean (edited 09-26-2001).]

PatS

That is so cool! I\'ve always wanted to hear about someone catching a software thief. As the senior System Administrator for a software firm in Santa Barbara, I worry not only about outsiders breaking through our firewall and stealing source code, but also about our own employees using shareware and commercial programs without paying the license fees. People never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, congratulations! Use the settlement money to finance a vacation to Tahiti.

Pat

Congratulations NIck!!! You didn\'t catch him using any other libraries did you?

Donnie

Hopefully this pirating thing will slack off.

Kip

I am not familiar with a \"swap meet.\" What is it?

clueless

Kick ! I never could understand why a commercial composer would pirate samples, these are the guys who are SUPPOSED to buy the frickin libraries!!

Kip: Pirating will never stop. And with broad band (high speed internet) just about ready to go for the massess it will just get worse. Download a cd in about 20 minutes anyone?

Clueless: Swap meet is where people \"meet\" to \"swap\" items. In this case I would assume it was a public display of pirated wares or someone selling software at some local flea market or similar venue.

Keep those watermarks going, hey...this might even allow you to lower your prices!!

How does the watermarking work out of interest? I guess each \'proper\' user has a unique id of some description?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size=\"1\" face=\"Verdana, Arial\">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Nick Phoenix:
    After only 2 months of watermark monitoring, I have NAILED a high profile composer pirate. We will be settling for a very LARGE sum of money. Apparently, he got my sounds at a SWAP MEET! Look out little piggies, the big bad wolf is on the prowl.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Nick, I\'m curious, too. Are you saying you\'ve used watermarking to track down an original buyer who violated his license by reselling the product? (That\'s the only way I can see a watermark leading to a successful hunt - but maybe I\'m just lacking imagination.) Or are you holding someone accountable for illegal possession of a product purchased at a swap meet?

Jens

Well done Nick.

Is it an audio watermarking?

I would be VERY interested in this watermarking-technique if you really can find the pirates this way.

Scarbee

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast