• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Wow, so no more effects?

Share/Bookmark

Wow, so no more effects?

So, a new player was made and instead of getting the same effects or more, we ended up with just one: reverb. I'm severely disappointed. I certainly hope effects are planned for future upgrades because this is ridiculous. I don't know why I just paid to have less functionality. Oh yeah, because the previous version was crashing Cubase 5. Screwed either way, I guess.

Re: Wow, so no more effects?

Quote Originally Posted by BuildingCastles View Post
    So, a new player was made and instead of getting the same effects or more, we ended up with just one: reverb. I'm severely disappointed. I certainly hope effects are planned for future upgrades because this is ridiculous. I don't know why I just paid to have less functionality. Oh yeah, because the previous version was crashing Cubase 5. Screwed either way, I guess.
    What are you talking about? Which effects did you want as an extra or did you hope for? Complaining about anything, please be a bit more specific.

Raymond

I guess he is refering to the effects included with Kontakt Player, like compression, limiter, convolution reverb, filters, etc.
    ARIA is a little new compared to Kontakt, so maybe you miss some things. Beyond that, the engine is very nice on the use of CPU and RAM, so is a very nice improvement.
    BUT, note that you have not only Reverb, you have also a basic Equalizer, in the "control" tab for each instrument.
    If you work with Sonar, Cubase or some host, is not big deal use the included effects of that programs, and let ARIA concentrate in their job. But i agree that in some cases you would prefer do some things inside ARIA. Some basic effects, like compressor, limiter, etc, would be very handy, specially if you are working with a Notation software, that dont have that effects and routing as easy like a sequencer one.
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    I guess he is refering to the effects included with Kontakt Player, like compression, limiter, convolution reverb, filters, etc.
    ARIA is a little new compared to Kontakt, so maybe you miss some things. .......
    Strange, I never met those things in KP2.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Strange, I never met those things in KP2.

Raymond

This are the effects included in KP2

Compressor/Limiter/Stereo Modeller/Chorus/Reverb/Delay/Convolution are the most usefull, imo, specially for the work most of us do with GPO.
    But as i previously said, there are plenty of quality effects you can use instead of this ones, inside your host.
    If in some future update, ARIA integrate some of this basic effects&routing, i believe it can be good. Most of this effects are light on the CPU, and can help to users that want to make all in one place, specially Notation ones.
    Marcelo Colina

Interesting thread - Thanks for the detailed response, Marce, explaining what effects BuildingCastles was referring to.

Raymond, that mixer in KP2 is very sophisticated with all of its routing options and 32 effects counting the variety of EQ filters. What Native Instruments was providing was a sample player which is like a miniature studio.

But I know you aren't alone in not having ever become aware of everything under the KP2 hood. With button pushing, all these things could be found - including a panel to edit all parameters of those many effects.

I personally Never used Any of those effects - !--except a few times I used convolution IRs I imported, done as a test. I didn't like the idea of having all this processing going on inside KP2 - I needed to stretch out and do that kind of work inside Sonar which of course has even more tools available.

BuildingCastles
    - There's a good long list of reasons Aria really is better than KP2. I too was surprised that for now there's only one effect - but since I never use reverb from inside any sample player, it didn't matter to me personally.

But Aria takes up less CPU, loads samples faster, is more stable--AND of course there are the strong business reasons that Aria is better for the Garritan company--at long last they're in control of their own audio engine.

I urge you, BuildingCastles, to start using more thoroughly the excellent Cubase app you use. If you can adapt your work flow so that Aria, or Any sample player is thought of as "just" the conduit to get sound into your sequencer - I feel you'd have a more satisfying experience.

And of course don't forget that if you have any other Garritan Libraries, you'll still be using KP2 for some time--since JABB and CMB still need to be re-programmed to work with Aria.

Randy B.

I just checked KP2 and found those effects. The reason why I never looked at them was that all these things were possible in Sonar.

Raymond

I did all my orchestrating and balancing (by controlling volume levels and cc1 values for Garritan instruments), then I experimented with various FX in Sonar (mostly convolution reverb and eq). But I found these very heavy handed because all I wanted was a very naturalistic, orchestral sound.

Eventually, I decided that the problem with my mixes really was that I am using samples from a number of different libraries in Kontakt 2. Some samples seem to have been recorded very dry, the others with various amounts of ambiance. What I needed was just a touch of reverb on the drier instruments to make it all blend together. I found the Kontakt convolution reverb very useful for this. I have it on an aux channel and I worked out slider settings for each of the instruments that need it to give it just enough to sound realistic.

I am not a fan of Kontakt by any means. There is so much that bugs me about it that I never upgraded to version 3 and don't plan to upgrade to version 4. I had planned to upgrade GPO, but ended up not doing so when I saw the feature set. Like others, I was expecting ARIA to be comparable to Kontakt and hoped that it would one day be a universal sampler so that it could replace Kontakt.

I am not using all that many GPO instruments these days. I use mostly JABB (the brass instruments and some of the bass and drum instruments once in a while). I was planning on upgrading when the ARIA version came out. But now I am holding out for Choirs or something comparable, which I need much more urgently.

Allegro Data Solutions

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    I just checked KP2 and found those effects. The reason why I never looked at them was that all these things were possible in Sonar.

Raymond
    Ah, I thought you meant you had never seen the effects in KP2 before - well, that's because that's what you said. But this is absolutely right, we didn't need to use them since we're working Sonar.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by ejr View Post
    I did all my orchestrating and balancing (by controlling volume levels and cc1 values for Garritan instruments), then I experimented with various FX in Sonar (mostly convolution reverb and eq). But I found these very heavy handed because all I wanted was a very naturalistic, orchestral sound.

Eventually, I decided that the problem with my mixes really was that I am using samples from a number of different libraries in Kontakt 2. Some samples seem to have been recorded very dry, the others with various amounts of ambiance. What I needed was just a touch of reverb on the drier instruments to make it all blend together. I found the Kontakt convolution reverb very useful for this. I have it on an aux channel and I worked out slider settings for each of the instruments that need it to give it just enough to sound realistic.
    Hi EJR. Impulse Reverbs works in a similar way, so, if you liked the Kontakt convolution more than the included in Sonar, maybe you can try load the Kontakt impulses into Sonar pristine space (is that name, isnt?). They are in "...\presets\Impulses" subfolder of where you have KontaktPlayer 2 installed
    Also, you can create inside Sonar (and with most of hosts) a BUS dedicated for the Reverb, and add a send (the amount you wish) to that BUS, in the same way you did inside Kontakt Player.
    Here is a nice discussion over Impulse reverbs in this forum, you could like to read -link

I am not a fan of Kontakt by any means. There is so much that bugs me about it that I never upgraded to version 3 and don't plan to upgrade to version 4. I had planned to upgrade GPO, but ended up not doing so when I saw the feature set. Like others, I was expecting ARIA to be comparable to Kontakt and hoped that it would one day be a universal sampler so that it could replace Kontakt.
    So, you can understand why mr. Garritan is moving to something different. But, not being a developer myself, im not aware, sometimes, that this things take time to develope&test. I believe that ARIA 1.0 is a very nice product. Stay here, and help to improve it. I guess time will not dissapoint us, the users.

I am not using all that many GPO instruments these days. I use the brass instruments (and some of the bass and drum instruments once in a while). I was planning on upgrading when the ARIA version came out. But now I am holding out for Choirs or something comparable, which I need much more urgently.
    Well, the brasses has been improved with some projectSAM samples. I believe you could like them.

Best REgards!
    Marcelo Colina

Go Back to forum