• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: MOJO Horn Section

Share/Bookmark

Wink MOJO Horn Section

anyone have this .....is it basie in a box ... i wish

Re: MOJO Horn Section

And anyone that does...I would love to request some demos (again) from a user! Very helpful in deciding to purchase.

Thanks,

Mark

Bumpity bump bump! Can anybody speak for/against this library? I'm interested...

I purchased Mojo last Fall and had high hopes. Unfortunately, I have not been able to make it sound like real brass despite numerous recommended tweaks, layering etc. I have spent a lot of time trying to make it work. In fact, the solo patches sound better by themselves. The more I turn up the Player knob for stacking, the more synthy it all sounds. I get a lot of phasing effects when blending even the solo instruments. But phasing is worst when the Player knob is turned up. I don’t know what to say. The 1.2.1 update didn’t address these issues.

I usually manage to figure out the weaknesses and bring out the strengths of a library, but this one evades me. Maybe someone else is able to get it right.

But Mojo provides a solid set up options for tweaking the patches, changing things on the fly, which is one major reason I made the purchase. If only the quality of the patches was measuring up it would be a phenomenal library.

Hopefully some other Mojo users can share their experiences.

Here’s a demo of what I was trying to achieve. I am not happy with it and stopped development until I can find a workable horn solution. Simple melody lines for the horns, but not convincing. It’s layered with two trumpet patches, two trombone patches, and one saxophone patch. I did tweaking to the attack on some of the layers. Any suggestions would be helpful and I could implement and upload an update.

www.garnvik.com/zippit_vocals.mp3

Also, keep in mind that the full instrument patches can be huge (I think some were over a gigabyte), and there’s no option of being selective with the keyswitches to only select the ones you need. So I had to stick primarily with the lite patches.

Good review of MOJO in the March 2010 issue of Sound On Sound magazine if you are interested. I concur with the reviewer's comments....playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

Playz. I noticed that you own both Mojo and Chris Hein Horns. What is your opinion comparing the two for the funk/r&b genre of music?

Wish I could suggest a definitive answer, but I can say that I think it depends on taste. MOJO is a little more geared towards funk, but some folks are not as happy with the results as others. IMHO, Chris' horns are a little warmer, and one can create great arrangements with them as well. I think most would agree though that a) a good wind controller helps with both programs and b) MOJO may sometimes come just a bit closer to Tower of Power or Memphis Horns sounds. MOJO also has some loops that may be useful in some circumstances. Sorry I can't pin it down completely for you............playz
    Cubase 7.0.3, Wavelab 7.1, Omnisphere, Trilian, Stylus RMX, Symphobia 1 & 2 , all Spitfire libraries, LASS 2, Requiem Pro, Voxos, Superior Drummer 2, Komplete 8, Cinematic Guitars, most EW libraries, Chris Hein Horns, Guitar & Bass, 2.8 GHz Mac Pro, 18 GB RAM, OS 10.6.8, RME Multiface II + HDSP PCIe

I'm looking into these horns:

http://www.samplemodeling.com/en/products.php

The demos sound great and they just released a few demos of a new trombone that is soon to be released.

Trombone demo: http://www.samplemodeling.com/forum/....php?f=2&t=432

I was a bit skeptical about the 'modeling' part but the demos sound great to me. I think matched with a wind controller and you'd have a great, live, and realistic sound...the keyboard video demo sounds good to
    Scott Sibley
    Technical Advisor-Toontrack Music
    Owner•Engineer•Producer
    Rainbow Sounds Recording

Hey, Scott, nice to see your name pop up outside the Toontrack forum! Welcome, and I hope you will enjoy this forum as well. At least you won't have to work as hard here.

I had not heard of those products before you mentioned them, and they do indeed look interesting. My first introduction to modeled horns came with Arturia Brass, and I must say I was less than impressed back then. Since that time, Brass 2 has been released, and while it's better, I still do not use it very much.

There certainly are a LOT of horn products from which to choose these days, and unless one has very deep pockets it's difficult to test them all. Perhaps sometime I'll purchase just one those instruments you referenced...just to see how it compares with the horns in my current collection. Thanks for the tip...and for your ongoing assistance for everyone via the Toontrack forum as well. Cheers.....................frank

Go Back to forum