• Register
  • Help

Topic: Organ Prelude No.1 ~ (Original)

Share/Bookmark

Talking Organ Prelude No.1 ~ (Original)

Hello,

I was just playing around with GPO4 ARIA and just started to write for organ.. So here is the result..

Any comments on the piece, use of reverb ect. are welcome.

Enjoy!!

(Halloween is soon to be upon us, any competitons up?)

Mwuahahaha!!

http://www.box.net/shared/tmh10m7zaj
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Re: Organ Prelude No.1 ~ (Original)

Yo JBD!!
    That was pretty spooky!! Nice to hear someone use the great organs in GPO!
    Very Baroque sounding and suitably somber.
    Keep on playing!
    Best regards!
    sd cisco

ps
    one thing though, there was the prelude, which ended fine, but after that there was quite a long stretch of silence,...........

That was not spooky at all! I think that was a nice piece, although the MP3 player at box.net suggests it should be twice as long. Room for more, a fugue perhaps?

The GPO organs sound great, very satisfying (I also have the PMI Baroque organ (really cheap), which has (obviously) more of a Baroque sound, and more registers, but you need a sample player).

You could experiment a bit with the other organ sounds for your piece, e.g. start with a softer sound, and open up after the first exposition, or add an extra cornet sound to the melody at one or two phrases, to spice it up a bit. But, organ registration is a tricky subject.

BTW, Room with a Fugue would be a great title for an organ piece in the style of Widor. Ok, I'm laughing at my own joke...

Quote Originally Posted by sd cisco View Post
    Yo JBD!!
    That was pretty spooky!! Nice to hear someone use the great organs in GPO!
    Very Baroque sounding and suitably somber.
    Keep on playing!
    Best regards!
    sd cisco

ps
    one thing though, there was the prelude, which ended fine, but after that there was quite a long stretch of silence,...........
    Thanks for your reply! Glad to hear you liked it... I have made a few slight changes which have helped the piece flow...

I still cant work out why there is a long silence I could say 'the silence represents the loss of the great Organ composers' but i would be lieing

Thanks again!

Dan.

Quote Originally Posted by FLWrd View Post
    That was not spooky at all! I think that was a nice piece, although the MP3 player at box.net suggests it should be twice as long. Room for more, a fugue perhaps?

The GPO organs sound great, very satisfying (I also have the PMI Baroque organ (really cheap), which has (obviously) more of a Baroque sound, and more registers, but you need a sample player).

You could experiment a bit with the other organ sounds for your piece, e.g. start with a softer sound, and open up after the first exposition, or add an extra cornet sound to the melody at one or two phrases, to spice it up a bit. But, organ registration is a tricky subject.

BTW, Room with a Fugue would be a great title for an organ piece in the style of Widor. Ok, I'm laughing at my own joke...
    Hi, Glad you liked it

The silece is still unknown at the moment however i have planned to write a following Fugue. However i have little (well.. none actualy!) experience of Fugue writing so im going to see an old friend who should be able to give me a starter lesson on counterpoint

I have used the GPO Organs very little in the past, but im working on the use of the different parts of the organ, Cornets..Flutes.. and so on. Not quite sure where to use them yet... I suppose thats the beauty in listening to other similar pieces..

Keep your eye out and you might see the follow-up Fugue

Thanks,

Dan

Go Back to forum