• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: A Survey: Your preferences for the next Orchestration Challenge

Share/Bookmark

A Survey: Your preferences for the next Orchestration Challenge

There have been several different formats used in our Orchestration Challenge. Originally an entire melody line would be posted, and then entrants orchestrated that theme. Now we've a variety of different challenges set, and I think they've all been fun.

What I would like to do in setting up the next Challenge, is to be sure that less experienced people feel able to join in.

And I'd like to create a Challenge according to the wishes of the majority. So, could you please let me know which of the following ideas appeals the most for the next Challenge--post your choice here on this thread. Thanks.

WHICH OF THE FOLLOWING CONCEPTS DO YOU WANT FOR ORCHESTRATION CHALLENGE 23?

EDIT: Adding another idea-- #12 is courtesy of Steve Winkler

1) A complete melody line of approximately 8 measures which you orchestrate and develop.

2) A short motif of approximately 4 notes which you need to develop into a melody which you then orchestrate.

3) A rhythmic phrase for which you need to develop a melody.

4) A structure you need to follow for an original composition (like this last Challenge 22).

5) A melody line written in an "exotic" mode, and the instruction that your arrangement has to remain strictly in that mode.

6) A few notes with no time value, so that you determine the rhythmic phrase of how those notes are used.

7) A short motif to develop in a way that the piece conveys an adjective like "Happy" or "Angry"--(we had a Challenge with "Hope" as the given theme).

8) A traditional song in the public domain is posted for you to develop however you'd like.

9) A standard song from one genre is posted for you to orchestrate for a completely different and contrasting genre - ie: Operetta song becomes pop-rock.

10) A 12 tone row is posted and entrants must follow strict 12 tone row arrangement techniques.

11) A non-melodic, chromatic group of notes are posted with the instruction that the pieces be developed as "non melodically" as possible.

12)
    A public domain piece written for piano or organ is selected and entrants orchestrate it for orchestra.

OTHER - If you have an additional concept, post it.

I don't want to rush into the next Challenge before giving everyone a chance to get in on the development of it. SO - hope to see some answers to this survey--Thanks!

Randy

Re: A Survey: Your preferences for the next Orchestration Challenge

No.1 please Randy
    Just always seems right to me

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Great, Dan - Thanks for weighing in on this. I'll leave this up for a week or so to see if more people want to be heard. If nobody else voices an opinion, you'll get your wish for #1. Let's see how this survey goes.

Randy

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser- View Post
    Great, Dan - Thanks for weighing in on this. I'll leave this up for a week or so to see if more people want to be heard. If nobody else voices an opinion, you'll get your wish for #1. Let's see how this survey goes.

Randy
    I very much hope that many many more members will soon post their thoughts.

Dan.
    Trumpet, cornet, flugel player. Composer and student.

Quote Originally Posted by June-Bug-Dan View Post
    I very much hope that many many more members will soon post their thoughts.

Dan.
    I do too, Dan. The Challenge is a neat thing we having going here and it'd be great if more people got involved as participants, and also as listeners. Let's see if we can get more interest pumped back into this fun event Sean started.

Randy

I've thought for some time since it is an orchestration challenge, to take a piece written for piano or organ or two pianos (maybe an excerpt) and orchestrate that. This is also a real-world situation musicians often find themselves in having to take a choral octavo for example and orchestrating it.

Just a thought.

Steve Winkler

I actually like a few of the choices. I've also fantasized about winning and creating my own challenge. I really liked the idea presented a few challenges ago of a rhythm with no pitches set to it, so I thought it'd be interesting to do the reverse: pitches with no rhythm. So, I think option 6 could be interesting. I also still like the original idea of just a simple melody line that is converted into an orchestration of any type, like option 1. Then, like this latest challenge, I really like to be given just a general concept and taking it from there because it let's us finish with something that we can truly call our own, so 4 and 7 are also great ideas.

So...I guess I'll have to say 1, 4, 6, or 7 would be my favorite choices
    Michael Obermeyer, Jr.
    youtube channel
    soundclick page

"...I've thought for some time since it is an orchestration challenge, to take a piece written for piano or organ or two pianos (maybe an excerpt) and orchestrate that..."

Hi, Steve- WELL YEah! You're right--Now isn't that funny - I don't think that's ever been done, and yet that's more like the real world orchestration challenge people are given all the time. GOod one--I'll add that to my original post.*

Thanks sanyarem for your votes. OK, fair enough, you like several ideas.

Guess I should make a little tally chart for this.

Thanks guys.
    Randy

* Edit: The method of doing this orchestration of an existing piano piece would have to be thought out. If we went with this concept, perhaps I could find both a PDF of a work as well as a MIDI file of it to get people started.

SURVEY TALLY (I'll keep updating this post)

1) - 11
    2) - 2
    3) - 1
    4) - 4
    5)
    6) - 1
    7) - 2
    8)
    9)
    10)
    11)
    12) - 5

Let the last winner (oops that's you - Congratulations) and get more of the forum involved.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum