• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Steinwaywith ProTools?

Share/Bookmark

Steinwaywith ProTools?

I am writing music for piano, using the Garritan Finale instruments (which include a basic Steinway version, certainly good enough for composing purposes) as a VST instrument in Cubase Essential 4 (as a MIDI sequencer, not rendering them to audio)

My question:
    once I'm finished I'll be going to a studio with ProTools to overdub other instruments and mix and master a CD - can the Garritan Steinway Pro (which I intend to buy and apparently can be installed 4 times on different computers - correct?) be used with ProTools in such a situation?

Specifically - can ProTool then play a MIDI file (including all MIDI events such as sustain and sustenuto) and render the Steinway Pro sounds to audio?

If not, what would be the best way to achieve this?

Thanks in advance for any info and suggestions (and please be as clear as possible - I'm not very familiar with virtual instruments and their use)

Re: Steinwaywith ProTools?

Hi Michael,
    The 4 simultaneous allowed installs are for computers that you own - you could bring a laptop or a computer of your own to the studio with the Steinway on it, but you couldn't install the software on a computer owned by the studio (unless of course you own the studio).
    The easiest solution, if possible, is to bring a laptop to the studio.
    Or alternatively you could simply render your tracks to audio before you go to the studio, and then bring the data files to the studio. ProTools can import audio files without any problem. You'd need to make sure that your piano tracks are the way you want them though since you wouldn't have the luxury of redoing them at the studio.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Hurchalla View Post
    Hi Michael,
    The 4 simultaneous allowed installs are for computers that you own - you could bring a laptop or a computer of your own to the studio with the Steinway on it, but you couldn't install the software on a computer owned by the studio (unless of course you own the studio).
    The easiest solution, if possible, is to bring a laptop to the studio.
    Or alternatively you could simply render your tracks to audio before you go to the studio, and then bring the data files to the studio. ProTools can import audio files without any problem. You'd need to make sure that your piano tracks are the way you want them though since you wouldn't have the luxury of redoing them at the studio.
    I now have Pro Tools LE 8.01 on my own computer. My question is still this:
    can the Steinway and thye Aria player be used within Pro Tools as a VST instrument (and not just as an already rendered audio file)? How? and which version (all? Basic? Professional? Standard? (need answer in particular for this version - I know it's discontinued by Garritan, but copies seem to be generally available for purchase from various retailers - so, will it work in Pro Tools?)

Thanks for specific reply.
    Pro Tools 8.01, Finale 97 - 2005, 2008, 2009b, Cubase Essential 4, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro, M-Audio 49+25 Keystations

You can use any of the Steinway versions as a virtual instrument plugin within ProTools. To be exact - the plugin format ProTools uses is called RTAS (not VST natively), and the Steinway supports running as an RTAS plugin.

Thanks! All clear now.

One other question though - I have been using the Garritan Instruments for Finale and its Aria player (which came with Finale 2009) as a VST instrumet in Cubase without any problems.

Can this also be done with Pro Tools - can it be run as an RTAS plug-in as well? How? I've copied the Instruments for Finale 2009 and the Aria folders to the Pro Tools Creative Collection folder (seems to be the only obvious place where instruments are kept?), but they aren't showing as available plug-ins. Any suggestions?
    Thanks again
    Pro Tools 8.01, Finale 97 - 2005, 2008, 2009b, Cubase Essential 4, Fujitsu-Siemens AMILO Xi3650 laptop, 18.4 in. HD display, Intel Centrino2 Duo CPU P7350 @ 2.00GHz, NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT graphics, Realtek High Definition Audio, 4GB RAM, Vista HP (32-bit), Digidesign Mbox 2 Micro, M-Audio 49+25 Keystations

hello? was that a bad question for some reason?
    would still like to know if possible

and yet another one (although maybe this isn't the place to ask): if I buy the basic download version of the Steinway, is there some upgrade scheme if I then wanted to go to the professional version?

hope to have some answers and would be grateful for any
    thanks

Not a bad question, I'm just out of town so my internet access is only occasional. You won't be able to use the GPO Finale edition in ProTools since the Finale edition doesn't support the requirements of ProTools (read: no RTAS format). It only supports the requirements of Finale, and if that happens to mesh with Cubase well enough to use it there, then cool, but it's only intentional for it to work with Finale and only supported for Finale.
    You can contact Garritan for an upgrade from Basic to Pro and they'll take care of you so that you get the Basic price off of the Pro price.

Got it! Thanks for info.

Also note the Finale edition is a notation version, not a sequencer version, so a lot of the major techniques of GPO for use with sequencers wouldn't be possible. GPO Finale edition would be running outside its design domain.

OK. Just to get it straight once and for all - the Garritan New Personal Orchestra 4 Downloadable Version (as well as any of the other full Garritan instrument libraries?) would then work as a stand-alone plug-in with Pro Tools (and, I assume, also with Finale and Cubase). Correct?

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast