• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 & NOTION 3

Share/Bookmark

Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 & NOTION 3

Got a message that Sonar 8.5 is there. One can buy updates, from only the plain 8.3 version to Elite versions for a different price, including NOTION 3. For notation I am now using Overture and this program apparently came to some sort of a stop: bugs aren't repaired and the latest update had been released last year.

Looking at all messages about Finale and Sibelius I am not seeking more trouble than I have now with notation stuff.

Is NOTION any good?
    Can I make good looking scores with it, good enough for sending to editors?
    Are there any drawbacks, due to the - I think - included sound files?
    Is inputting using MIDI keyboard easy? Learning curve?
    Is inputting using mouse/computer keyboard easy enough?
    How about adding accents, dynamics, bowing, etc.
    Can I export to MIDI for the "real work" with GPO under Sonar.

In other words, is this a better working area than I have now?

Raymond
    [present system: SONAR 8.3.1 64 bits / Overture 32 bits / GPO with ARIA 64 bits, Garritan Steinway 64 bits, Stradivari]

Re: Cakewalk Sonar 8.5 & NOTION 3

I also would be interested in hearing about Notion. The MIDI capabilities (piano roll behind the staff view) might be right up my alley. I'll certainly get the demo but would love to hear from anyone who uses it as well.

Jon

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Bryson View Post
    I also would be interested in hearing about Notion. The MIDI capabilities (piano roll behind the staff view) might be right up my alley. I'll certainly get the demo but would love to hear from anyone who uses it as well.

Jon
    Where do yo get the demo?
    Marcelo Colina

Quote Originally Posted by marce View Post
    Where do yo get the demo?
    It's not available yet, but looks like it will be. At http://www.notionmusic.com/products/notion3.html there's a link to the right that says the demo will be available soon.

Jon

Thanks! the program looks promising
    Marcelo Colina

I saw a demo of Notion a few years ago. It looked very interesting.

I'm not surewhat has changed about it, but at that time I believe it only worked with their sound libraries. It did a very good job of interpreting the notation into an audio performance. But because it was more of an "all-in -one" package that did notation and playback, it didn't seem conducive to my workflow.

It didn't give me all of the control over the printed page that I expect from a notation program, and it didn't have all of the audio capabilities of a sequencer.

If the "all-in-one" approach appeals to you, this might be for you. Get a demo disk and try it out.

But I certainly wouldn't categorize Finale or Sibelius as causing more trouble than you have now. Most of the notation problems I read about end up being user error simply because these are both complex programs.

JT

I've never used NOTION, but based on what I've seen, it's main selling point is in it's playback capabilities. It's printed output doesn't come close to Finale or Sibelius.

But I haven't looked at NOTION 3 yet, so my info may be out of date. I'm still not likely to switch from Finale, though.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Dan and Jeff are both right. I'd just add this:
    The notation part of Notion is related to the MusicPrinter Plus product that some of us used--same brains behind both programs!
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62 View Post
    Got a message that Sonar 8.5 is there. One can buy updates, from only the plain 8.3 version to Elite versions for a different price, including NOTION 3. For notation I am now using Overture and this program apparently came to some sort of a stop: bugs aren't repaired and the latest update had been released last year.

Looking at all messages about Finale and Sibelius I am not seeking more trouble than I have now with notation stuff.

Is NOTION any good?
    Yes but I'm a bit biased!

Can I make good looking scores with it, good enough for sending to editors?
    Absolutely! There are plenty ways to customize your piece that weren't available in N2. Everything from custom beaming to microtones!

Are there any drawbacks, due to the - I think - included sound files?
    Not any that I can think of...If you're running the libraries listed below I'm sure your machine can handle it.

Is inputting using MIDI keyboard easy? Learning curve?
    Really easy and there are a few ways to do so...standard play midi instrument to a click, step time entry (using midi keyboard and computer keyboard), and the brand new SequencerStaff which allows you to record in real time and see your music displayed on a staff in sequencer fashion.

Is inputting using mouse/computer keyboard easy enough?
    EXTREMELY easy! All the short cuts are established so that they're easy to remember (q=quarter note, e=eighth note, double tap any of those keys for the rest duration of the note...etc). Basically choose duration with your left hand and use the mouse to place them.

How about adding accents, dynamics, bowing, etc.
    They're all there and this is probably one of the best things about Notion is that there is NO midi mapping necessary. It's all done for you....write an accent and an accent plays back, and this goes for your external libraries as well. To start we've included mapping for VSL, EW, GPO, and Miroslav....with MANY more to come.

Can I export to MIDI for the "real work" with GPO under Sonar.
    You don't need to....just use ReWire

In other words, is this a better working area than I have now?
    Although I work for Notion I have to say that N3 has truly brought a shift in my work flow....for the better. Combining things like audio import, VST, and ReWire with standard notation has opened plenty of new doors for me!

Check out the videos on the product page (linked above) and I'm sure you'll see that this quite a step ahead for notation products!

I am seriously excited by the potential to use this with Rewire in Sonar. I prefer working with notation and have wanted something that integrated with Sonar and would translate my dynamics markings to MIDI accurately.

I live in the prv view right now but could see using a notation program in conjunction with prv for the way I work.

Can't wait to take it for a spin!

Jon

Go Back to forum