• Register
  • Help

Topic: update suggestions

Share/Bookmark

update suggestions

For a future update I suggest to completely rebuild all solo strings

For each loudness (p, mp, f, etc.) we only need three samples. One for pizzicato, as it is.
    But two without any vibrato, automatically alternating between bow down and up, unless forced by key switch to play the 'down' sample. Starting with a short staccato rapidly decaying to the natural sustain and length (the real time the bow uses). That means ppp samples will be much (longer) larger than fff samples).

In this case I need three knobs. One to rule the attack just a few ms to avoid popping.
    One to shift the starting point of the playback e.g. legato plays after the decay, tremolo somewhere half the decay and sf close to the starting point. This way even staccato notes can get the length and decay you want. So there is no need for whole/half thrill samples, as they are easily made in your project (and have the right timing).

The third knob should be an on/off forcing following notes continuing to play the sustain of the first note. By this I mean, that all notes within one movement of the bow should play their real time position in the sustain of the movement. So, when I give some notes an overlap of e.g. 10 ms I tell GPO that those notes belong to one movement, as is e.g. a thrill or praller, and should follow in real time the starting point of each sample and thereby preserve the natural 'living' sounds of the whole sample. Is this a nice challenge or not..... ;-)

The vibrato should be back with the common knobs rate and depth. As player, composer and director I want to decide if, when and how much vibrato is played (allowed!).

Finally, I suggest to be able to kill the disk streaming. As modern computers have more RAM, fast FSB and processors with large caches. I accept a longer loading time in the morning to assemble my orchestra and put all dll's and samples into RAM and after that even shut down the disks. It is my experience that hard disks are still the weakest link in the computer and this way I can reduce a lot of heat, power and noise, and gain their lifetime.

With friendly greetings,
    cees rotteveel.

Re: update suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Kees Rotteveel View Post
    For a future update I suggest to completely rebuild all solo strings

For each loudness (p, mp, f, etc.) we only need three samples. One for pizzicato, as it is.
    But two without any vibrato, automatically alternating between bow down and up, unless forced by key switch to play the 'down' sample. Starting with a short staccato rapidly decaying to the natural sustain and length (the real time the bow uses). That means ppp samples will be much (longer) larger than fff samples).

In this case I need three knobs. One to rule the attack just a few ms to avoid popping.
    One to shift the starting point of the playback e.g. legato plays after the decay, tremolo somewhere half the decay and sf close to the starting point. This way even staccato notes can get the length and decay you want. So there is no need for whole/half thrill samples, as they are easily made in your project (and have the right timing).

The third knob should be an on/off forcing following notes continuing to play the sustain of the first note. By this I mean, that all notes within one movement of the bow should play their real time position in the sustain of the movement. So, when I give some notes an overlap of e.g. 10 ms I tell GPO that those notes belong to one movement, as is e.g. a thrill or praller, and should follow in real time the starting point of each sample and thereby preserve the natural 'living' sounds of the whole sample. Is this a nice challenge or not..... ;-)

The vibrato should be back with the common knobs rate and depth. As player, composer and director I want to decide if, when and how much vibrato is played (allowed!).

Finally, I suggest to be able to kill the disk streaming. As modern computers have more RAM, fast FSB and processors with large caches. I accept a longer loading time in the morning to assemble my orchestra and put all dll's and samples into RAM and after that even shut down the disks. It is my experience that hard disks are still the weakest link in the computer and this way I can reduce a lot of heat, power and noise, and gain their lifetime.

With friendly greetings,
    cees rotteveel.
    Greetings, Cees and welcome to the forum!
    The kinds of features you are asking for are really for a higher end (and when I say higher end I mean much more expensive) sample library. Garritan Orchestral Strings will be your ticket. From what we've heard (and things could change any minute) the excellent solo strings Stradavari and Gofriller will be included in GOS. Controlled vibrato and legato will also be available, though I don't know how it will be implemented.

Regarding disk streaming, I don't know how GOS will address it especially given the new Aria Player. Time will tell. Having everything in RAM is certainly a cool concept, but loading everything into RAM will take quite awhile and then if your system locks up you are back to square 1 and having to wait 15 minutes for your samples to load again.

You have some great suggestions, I just don't think you are going to see the articulations and control you would like in GPO. GPO has never been intended to be that kind of a library. However GOS is and with GOS 2 coming out someday (and by someday I mean I, along with everyone else has no idea when) you will have a great library that does address these kinds of features. Of course it will cost more so if you are like me you will start saving for it now.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

Go Back to forum