• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How do you listen to GPO?

Share/Bookmark

How do you listen to GPO?

It could be interesting to know how GPO users listen to their works while in progress and/or mixing it down through nearfield monitors, headphones, computer speakers and so on.

In fact, I noticed most speaker manufacturers advertise their products focusing on their strenghts in musical genres other than rendering of acoustic instruments / orchestral environments.

Best regards

- - -
    Fabio

Re: How do you listen to GPO?

Initial: headphones. Used during the assembling of all tracks, including setting all sorts of CC's. When I am at the CC#1 stage - the stage where modwheel comes in - then I switch to monitors. Having put it to my satisfaction I switch back to headphones to make the overall balance. For applying the equalizing for the strings, I use the headphones and for the final control of it again back to monitors.

When all gives a satisfying sound then for the final output I use monitors, right before I make the output audio to wave. Just to be sure. Sometimes this leads to more correction made with monitors.

But I need other monitors, better than those Behringer Truth B2030A.

Raymond

Thank you Raymond.

I will consider your advice about Behringers, since they were on my shopping list aside others.

May I ask you what your headphones are?

I'm looking to adopt AKG's 240. A good choice?

---
    Fabio
    Last edited by fabiolcati; 09-17-2009 at 08:15 AM. Reason: typos

All serious work goes through my MSP7s. their sound is beautiful. I only work through headphones late at night (and then its only note input ready for mixing the next day) or if working on something over and over which i know is going to annoy people in my home!

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Thank you Raymond.

I will consider your advice about Behringers, since they were on my shopping list aside others.

May I ask you what your headphones are?

I'm looking to adopt AKG's 240. A good choice?

---
    Fabio
    Last year I had to replace my headphones and after trying a few sets (including the AKG 240), the winner for me was Beyerdynamic DT770 PRO 250ohm.

My suggestion would be to bring a music CD you like to your local music instrument store and ask to try out several sets, using the CD you are familiar with to do some comparisons.

Rob

I prefer to go soup to nuts through monitors, mainly because headphones start to bother me pretty quickly. However, the family does not appreciate it. For putting together the piece I can do either headphones or monitors, it doesn't matter. However, I mix as much as possible with monitors and then test on headphones, the car stereo, home stereo, etc.

The AKG K240 headphones are a decent pair of mid range headphones. Just remember there are challenges for mixing with only headphones. Lots of people do it, but it takes time to learn how to.

-Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

I do most of my preparation through headphones. When most of this is prepared I then use my studio monitors for final comparisons moving back and fro between those and headphones.

My headphones are the Beyerdynamic DT150 and my monitors are KRK VXT6 although I am now considering moving up to the VXT8.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Quote Originally Posted by fabiolcati View Post
    Thank you Raymond.

I will consider your advice about Behringers, since they were on my shopping list aside others. May I ask you what your headphones are? I'm looking to adopt AKG's 240. A good choice?

---
    Fabio
    The Behringers are weak on lows. DPDAN stated earlier that only good monitors (pricetag at least $1000,-) can do the job properly. The AKG 240 are reasonable, I have an old version AKG 240 K Studio. They are midrange.
    Be aware that any headphone has a huge non-flat frequency response. Go to this website: http://www.headphone.com/

Greetings,

Raymond

My computer speakers are cheap and I have no monitors (apartment building).

I have been very satisfied with my AKG 240DF phones, which I bought several years ago used on Ebay for about $25 (I was also satisfied with the price!).

The one issue is that they are high-impedance so they need to be amplified.

Here's a thread at an audio forum where they compare several different brands and models including the 240DF. Browse around that forum in the Studio Monitor section for lots of information on both headphones and speakers from audio experts and pros.

http://www.studio-central.com/phpbb/...ilit=akg+240df

First, thank you to everybody. This is the most "symphonic" community I ever met.

All-1-- Yamahas, Behringers, KRKs... Am I wrong saying that - aside budget, roomy desktops and personal taste - working with a computer-generated orchestra doesn't require a particular kind of nearfield monitors, say, than the ones good for rock'n roll or techno?

All-2 -- Relatives seems to be a common issue, from apartment buildings to villas. If they are noisy as we are, in their words, with our GPOs, why don't THEY wear headphones?

Raymond -- I've found "headphone.com" very helpful. Are you, or anyone, aware if does an "affordableandtinynearfieldmonitors.com" also exists?

Have a nice day you all

PS. I apologize if sometimes my posting sounds too "dry" or direct. Consider I'm not english-speaking and the fact that I spot the forum in pauses from my workplace.

---
    Fabio

Go Back to forum