• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Altiverb beater?

Share/Bookmark

Altiverb beater?

Has anyone here tried out 2CAudio's AETHER reverb - useable demo and mp3 downloadable here:

http://www.galbanum.com/products/aether/

Its an algorithmic reverb and sounds remarkably good to me. In 'Sound on Sound' the reviewer found they could create closer-to-the-original reverbs (for hardware based reverbs like Bricasti) compared to convolution versions available from the same hardware for Altiverb.

It doesn't do the superb 'speaker placement' thing that Altiverb does so might not do as well for that 'location' feeling you get with Altiverb for orchestral work, but for other uses of reverb, I think its hard to beat. It's certainly the first software reverb I have heard that could seriously make me think of dumping my Lexicon hardware unit, and inspire me to bother to write a post about.

Re: Altiverb beater?

Quote Originally Posted by L0W View Post
    It's certainly the first software reverb I have heard that could seriously make me think of dumping my Lexicon hardware unit, and inspire me to bother to write a post about.
    If you don't have a real expensive Lexicon reverb like a twenty five year old 200, a 224 or a 480L, you may not know what an ultra dense digital reverb tail can sound like.

I would never part with my 200, I even sampled it and it is in Altiverb now.

Anyone can make a reverb these days, and anyone can make nice sounding reverbs, but besides the fact that Altiverb is the respected leader in convolution technology, the fact that the user can place the dry instrument anywhere on the 3D stage is perhaps the most powerful of tools. I know of no other convolution reverb that provides this luxury. Gigapulse does have similar technology, but there are only a half dozen specific places on the GUI "stage", but to be able to freely move the instrument a scosh in any direction is remarkable.

It's one thing to accurately capture the acoustic properties of a given space, but to have the "engine under the hood" recalculate the IR because we want a sound to appear from an exact position is awesome.

I am going to be mixing the sound for the Ambassadors of Harmony Christmas show that will be webcast this year in December, and I plan to use Altiverb from my Mac laptop, running inside Digital Performer "live" during the concert. That should be a cool thing. I will post when that is going to take place. Ambassadors of Harmony is the current World Champion 160 men Vocal Harmony chorus.

Low, if you do have an old Lexicon and you want to part with it, send it my way
    Dan

But aether is a really good reverb. It's not a convolution verb - so it's not "static", and it's true stereo in - stereo out.

Is there a plugin to do the "placement" that could be coupled with aether? Something like the old Cakewalk CFX3?

Quote Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
    It's not a convolution verb - so it's not "static"
    what was meant by that?
    So you are saying Altiverb's sound is "static" and not TRUE stereo in and stereo out?

I beg to differ.

Dan,

No, all I meant is that *all* convolution reverbs are "static" inasmuch as an impulse is a snapshot of, say, a real space - rather than a developing sound for, say, a representation of a room. I don't know if altiverb is true stereo or not - I'm just saying that aether is, and that it's an algorythmic reverb that, to me, sounds as good as a convolution reverb at emulating halls, rooms, cathedrals etc.

Don't mistake this for an opinion that it's "better" or "worse" than altiverb. I don't even have (or have ever used) altiverb - I'm just saying that aether is nice that's all ;-)

EDIT - No reverb wars here - just an opinion that this verb is a nice one...

Quote Originally Posted by jbraner View Post
    Is there a plugin to do the "placement" that could be coupled with aether? Something like the old Cakewalk CFX3?
    Actually, Aether does a 'kind of placement' - not the stage/speaker placement like Altiverb - but a 'position' knob which 'smoothly alters the the source and virtual mic positions'.

Sound on Sound reviewer Martin Walker (September) describes Aether as the 'best sounding native reverb plug-in I've ever heard', and its certainly worth the trouble of downloading the demo to hear what it is capable of.

Sorry the 'reverb wars' were probably because of my header 'altiverb beater?' - I just wanted to make sure people responded somehow rather than ignore the thread which is the fate of most that I start! Dan stepped up to the mark like a true gentleman!

Quote Originally Posted by DPDAN View Post
    Low, if you do have an old Lexicon and you want to part with it, send it my way
    Dan
    Caught out by my own rhetoric! I'm still using demo Aether, so haven't quite decided whether to fork out the extra $250 for it, but if I do, I'll let you know!

Actually, Aether does a 'kind of placement'
    Oh yeah - that's right, and they said you could use multiple instances of just ER to set up different "positions" - and then set up the LR on a buss for them all to use. That's not like the "real thing" though - is it ;-)

I got the feeling (maybe from the long KVR thread) that this is something that might appear in a future update though.

Actually it's probably me that got Dan annoyed - but hopefully it was just bad wording on my part. I'm not stupid enough to criticise a reverb that I've never even used ;-)

he he he
    no big deal.. I was under the impression that John was saying that Altiverb is static meaning,,, no life, no movement... etc.

Altiverb smokes every reverb I have ever used, that includes Lexicon 480L, 224, my own 200 and a host of others especially for simulating a real room, for a killer snare reverb for a pop tune is no different, but digital reverbs that use algorithms don't have problems with stuff like pop mixes, and my ol Lexicon 200 even has a beautiful sounding HALL, but I gotta tell ya, Altiverb
    is it for me.

Nothing in the hardware versions come close to reproducing a real space.
    Here's an interesting story...

When I first got Altiverb back in 1995, I made some of my own IR's with it, and that too is another one of it's strengths. I made an impulse of my sitting mix position, granted my mix room is not as good as it could be, but I played (through my Tannoy monitors) a stereo recording of a real piano that I had done for a client's project. I listened with the utmost attention to detail of the sound of the piano in my mix room, then I listened to the same recording with my AKG K240DF headphones. After listening to both monitors and headphones, I then placed the piano recording into Altiverb with "MY MIX ROOM" IR. Naturally, I had to listen to this in the headphones in order to eliminate the acoustic properties of my mix room.

Immediately upon hearing the first chord of the piano, I said to myself....

"you dummy! you can't listen to the headphones with the Tannoys on too" I took off the headphones and guess what????

The Tannoy's were not on.
    I swore they were, and I was hearing the piano in the headphones and the room, but nope,,,, it was all Altiverb playing the piano in my mix room...

I will never forget that.

Dan

I'm fairly new to the world of ambience and acquired Altiverb fairly recently.

As I understand it, algorithmic reverb is 'artificial' in that it is created using hardware or software means to produce a synthetic ambience. 'Aether' reverb is of this type. By comparison, Altiverb offers the ambience measured and sampled of real halls and spaces.

If I am correct in my understanding of the technologies then I cannot see how an artificial, synthetic product can possibly be better than the real thing.

I have listened carefully to the 'Aether' samples and demos and I'll stay with my real spaces.

I'm with Dan on this. 'Altiverb beater' ..... I don't think so.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Go Back to forum