• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 24

Topic: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Lyrical Distortion's Friday Extravaganza $10 one day release September 18, 2009
    For One Day Only!!!! $10

    CLICK HERE TO PURCHASE!

    This price is only good from 12:00:00am - 11:59:59 EST September 18, 2009

    After September 18, 2009 it will no longer be available!

    Mandolin


    "Inspiration Included!"

    Lyrical Distortion Friday Extravaganza $10 one day release September 18, 2009 is proud to present Mandolin, recorded via AKG condenser microphone, Great River ME-1NV, Apogee Rosetta and programmed in Kontakt 2.2.4 to be easily played from any MIDI controller or sequencer.

    24bit/44.1 samples
    878mb - almost 1250 samples
    features four variations
    including articulations:

    Picked (dn and up)
    Hammer on/Pull off
    Up Slide
    Assorted FX
    Chords:
    Major
    Minor
    Sevenths
    Major Seventh
    Minor Seventh
    Ninth
    Sixth



    Demos

    The Travellers Dream - Theo Krueger
    Sustain Improvisation - Theo Krueger






    We hope you enjoy our latest offering for $10!!!


    Take Care,

    Steph

  2. #2

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    I've gambled a tenner on a lot less.

    (How's that for a ringing endorsement. )

    Seriously, the demos sound quite good... although more morroc than rollin' through Appalachia as I would expect from such a lib.

    I'll let y'all know. I play a lot of mando so I'll be brutal. First comment: download speed was dreadful.

    OK, I'll try to dial it back.

    ---JC

  3. #3

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    I just downloaded it about an hour ago at 1.9MB/s and had it in a couple minutes
    You're not using dial up are you?

    Being Theo lives in Greece, I'm sure he's not accustom to doing Bluegrass stuff.
    But I sure love his demos anyways!

  4. #4

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Hi Aaron - I'm new to your products so please excuse my ignorance with this question:

    The slides and hammer-ons seem very soft compared to the level and tone of the solo notes. If I play a melody-line and then keyswitch a slide, or hammer-on, the slide/hammer-on just disappears into the mix.

    There seems to be hardly any initial "note" on my slides - so what's the trick to hear the initial note attack followed by the slide to the destination note?

    I'm sure I'm missing something!

    Great tone on the solo notes by the way

    Mike.

  5. #5

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Guitar amp sims (and compression) are your best friend. Believe it or not - that's the way they do it in the real world.
    Houston Haynes - Titan Line Music

  6. #6

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    OK, here's my review:
    Good:
    1. Really nicely recorded. The raw notes really sound like a mandolin. That's not faint praise. Most libs I've heard before sound like a synth-zither.
    2. Surprisingly? Solo mode works quite well. Nice hammer-ons/pull-offs/string noise. I can see someone making a very believably bluegrass MELODY from this.
    3. For chords, it's seems to have a bit of 'idomatic IQ'. That is, it protects you somewhat from sounding chords that are impossible on a mando. Or from making ringing string chords that don't exist. Good!

    Bad (Or rather 'what can you expect for $10?):
    1-99. Chunking chords (which are the lion's share of Americana)? I can't even get -close-. I guess I was hoping for genuine -strums- a la Akkord. Unless this was mixed -way- back, I couldn't fool -anyone- with this. (Unless there's a super-secret in which case I'll GLADLY eat my words!)

    100. Pitch bends. There are none. Just the normal pitch wheel, which is totally synthy.

    Summary: Theo's demos are the classic magician's trick: he highlighted the strengths of the lib so much that one almost forgets to notice what is -missing-. The basic sound is wonderful. If you want to do 'ethnic' stuff? It's the best $10 you'll ever spend. If you want to do anything strummy (ie. -chords-), I guess it's still worth $10 for the few times you'll need to do 8 bars of "Lord Of The Rings Village" or whatever.

    Final Score? Tough Call. For $10 it's a no-brainer. But without real strumming? It's not so much an instrument as a very nice sounding novelty.

    My guess is that creating real up and down -strums- would add more zeros to the price tag so I feel bad writing the above. But it's just not a -real- mando to me without 'em.

    Much Love,

    ---JC

  7. #7

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Quote Originally Posted by micmac View Post
    Hi Aaron - I'm new to your products so please excuse my ignorance with this question:

    The slides and hammer-ons seem very soft compared to the level and tone of the solo notes. If I play a melody-line and then keyswitch a slide, or hammer-on, the slide/hammer-on just disappears into the mix.

    There seems to be hardly any initial "note" on my slides - so what's the trick to hear the initial note attack followed by the slide to the destination note?

    I'm sure I'm missing something!

    Great tone on the solo notes by the way

    Mike.
    Hello Mike,

    You can give the hammer/slide a higher velocity to make them more pronounced sound, you can also go into the slide menu (upper left of the gui) and raise the slide attack to make them more pronounced as well.


    Aaron

  8. #8

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Well I'd just like to say a massive thanks! It's really made my day for the last three weeks, when I've woken up and realised that it's Lyrical Distortion's $10 day. Seriously, it's like an early weekend - I leave my laptop downloading as I go to school, and spend the whole day looking forward to playing when I get home. And for $10 the quality of instrument is just stupidly good!
    David

  9. #9

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Quote Originally Posted by Suntower View Post
    OK, here's my review:
    Good:
    1. Really nicely recorded. The raw notes really sound like a mandolin. That's not faint praise. Most libs I've heard before sound like a synth-zither.
    2. Surprisingly? Solo mode works quite well. Nice hammer-ons/pull-offs/string noise. I can see someone making a very believably bluegrass MELODY from this.
    3. For chords, it's seems to have a bit of 'idomatic IQ'. That is, it protects you somewhat from sounding chords that are impossible on a mando. Or from making ringing string chords that don't exist. Good!

    Bad (Or rather 'what can you expect for $10?):
    1-99. Chunking chords (which are the lion's share of Americana)? I can't even get -close-. I guess I was hoping for genuine -strums- a la Akkord. Unless this was mixed -way- back, I couldn't fool -anyone- with this. (Unless there's a super-secret in which case I'll GLADLY eat my words!)

    100. Pitch bends. There are none. Just the normal pitch wheel, which is totally synthy.

    Summary: Theo's demos are the classic magician's trick: he highlighted the strengths of the lib so much that one almost forgets to notice what is -missing-. The basic sound is wonderful. If you want to do 'ethnic' stuff? It's the best $10 you'll ever spend. If you want to do anything strummy (ie. -chords-), I guess it's still worth $10 for the few times you'll need to do 8 bars of "Lord Of The Rings Village" or whatever.

    Final Score? Tough Call. For $10 it's a no-brainer. But without real strumming? It's not so much an instrument as a very nice sounding novelty.

    My guess is that creating real up and down -strums- would add more zeros to the price tag so I feel bad writing the above. But it's just not a -real- mando to me without 'em.

    Much Love,

    ---JC
    Hello JC,

    Thanks for the review.

    There 'is' down and up chord strums
    G2 - F#3 down strum
    G3 - F#4 up strum

    There is also Mandolin - Speed.nki
    This is the same patch, but utilizing Kontakt's Time Machine feature.
    This allows the chords to be strummed faster the higher the velocity. It's subtle, but less static sounding
    (however, the Time Machine feature loads the entire sample into ram, unlike traditional DFD - and takes up .55gb of ram)

    Pitch bends? ....on a mandolin?
    Wouldn't that rank under being disappointed in a lack of pitch bending on a piano library?
    There are the slide ups, would that make up for it?

    Theo's Demos-
    Would you believe he didn't do any trickery!
    Theo posted the midi on another forum (Hope he doesn't mind me throwing it up here)
    http://www.LyricalDistortion.com/Demos/Mandolin.rar
    I, myself was a tad surprised too!


    Thanks again for taking the time to do a review!


    Aaron

  10. #10

    Re: Lyrical Distortion Releases Mandolin for One Day - $10

    Quote Originally Posted by Aaron Dirk View Post
    Hello JC,

    Thanks for the review.

    There 'is' down and up chord strums
    G2 - F#3 down strum
    G3 - F#4 up strum
    I may be dummer n' a bag o' hammers but I can't figure out how to get it to work. Can you give me a step=by=step for the keyswitch challenged?
    A. Which patch?
    B. Perhaps a very short MIDI example I can copy from?

    TIA,

    --JC

    PS: I bend notes on mando all the time. But slides are good too.

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •