• Register
  • Help

Topic: "Iago" Overture

Share/Bookmark

"Iago" Overture

This is the overture to a musical I've been working on over the summer, "Iago." It is based on William Shakespeare's play "Othello", although it is not a straight adaptation. Instead, this version is a comedy from Iago's point of view. It blends comedy and tragedy and asks us just where the line between the two lies.

The songs featured are:

The Joke's on You
    A Woman's Love
    Just a Kiss
    In the Clear

At the end, it segues into the opening number, which begins with that small piano vamp at the end of the file.

Re: "Iago" Overture

Howdy COOL!!
    This is a right snappy little number if ever there was one and lands with both feet on the side of happy! Packed with adventure and surprise - thanks for posting!
    Best regards,
    sd cisco

Sorry I over-looked this previously--right up my alley, being theatre music. Good for you, Cool - this sounds like a big project.

Iago as a comedy---now there's a mind bender. Makes the concept seem intriguing at least!

Tech note on your recording - A bit more reverb and added in different amounts to your instruments would render this more natural sounding, I'd recommend that.

Fun string of themes in this overture, sounds fun and lively. Neat stuff.

Best of fortunes with your show!

Randy B.

I very much like the arrangements -- very Broadway, amusing and appropriate. I'd like to hear what a small pit would do with it. I am afraid the current MIDI does not show off the arrangements to their best advantage. I especially like the contrast between the bombast of the opening chords and the lively piano vamp that immediately follows -- tells you IMMEDIATELY what kind of a show you are in for. And there's just enough wistfullness and pathos in the score to really bring home a good dramatic comedy.

Thanks, everyone!

rbowser -
    Yeah, it is a bit of an odd premise. Shortly after I read Othello, it occurred to me that the basic plot (man convinces another man that his wife is having an affair with a third man) could just as easily be played as a comedy. This almost immediately led me to think about where exactly the line is drawn between comedy and tragedy, a notion that plays a major part in this show (the opening number is titled "Perception" for a number of reasons.) Naturally, creative liberties are to be taken, but I hope I can make it work--especially the ending.

And funny you should mention themes, since this score has basically been an experiment in motives.

nomuse - I'm glad that came across. Once I had the aforementioned comedy/tragedy idea, the idea of having the overture start dramatic and suddenly become almost comical came soon after even though I had written next to nothing yet. Of course, that was back around March or so. Now, the score is pretty much complete, but not orchestrated.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolZidane View Post
    This is the overture to a musical I've been working on over the summer, "Iago." It is based on William Shakespeare's play "Othello", although it is not a straight adaptation. Instead, this version is a comedy from Iago's point of view. It blends comedy and tragedy and asks us just where the line between the two lies.

At the end, it segues into the opening number, which begins with that small piano vamp at the end of the file.
    WOW....light and lively Shakespeare tragedy. Why not! Nice written and produced. Hope the show goes well for you.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum